Do you guys gig your boutique amps?

mwhy

Silver Supporting Member
Of course I gig with my boutique amps -- why wouldn't I?! [Yep, and my boutique guitars, but that's another forum thread!]

Trem-o-lux

For me it depends on the band. For years I played in a 3 piece where I was confident that if two of us wandered away, the third guy would keep his eye on the gear and never leave it unattended by going off to the men's room or whatever. Current crew I play with I haven't developed that confidence.

John Quinn

Gold Supporting Member
When I had a lot of amps and was playing clubs 6 nights a week - I would gig them most nights - If I was playing two clubs - or had a wedding and club gig I would have separate setups at each venue - our roadies would collect them - Amps are made to be used - and I would play the heck out of them.

59Jazzmaster

If I played boutique amps I would gig them. Spills and burns add mojo, the enzymes of the beer interact with the crystal lettuce. And if it's that important, a cabinet can be repaired, recovered, replaced without too much trouble or expense, its superficial.

And if it is one those boutique amps with a beautiful wood cabinet or something like I've seen, which really couldn't be easily fixed, I would still gig it. It is selfish for a gigging musician to just keep it for themselves, it is a treat for the audience to see and part of the show. I'd feature it, and just be careful. Visual mood can definitely enhance a performance. Same with really expensive, good looking guitars.

Last edited:

MothAttack

I've always wondered what the consensus is on this. On the one hand, why have boutique amps if not to play them loud? On the other, spilled beer and generally people being drunk and/or disorderly.

I've always been of the mind that it depends on the venue (if I'm familiar with it).

I'm playing in a punk rock band now and will probably just bring the old Peavey given the environment.
Yes, and always. I searched and eventually shelled out a lot for my Twilighter. It doesn’t stay in the garage.

Last edited:

vintage66

Mesa is the most boutique amp I own. Gigged it last night and will again tonight. Well, I do have a Budda, not sure if either is boutique anymore but Mesa might have been the first back in the ‘70’s.

Wms76

Silver Supporting Member
If I’m doing a set at a place that I’m unsure of, I bring an amp that matters less to me if something happens to it.

In my case that’s a Rivera-era Princeton Reverb II.

-bEn r.

This. I’ll use any of them (BFFenders,”boutique “) with the Super Champ XD, for ex. , going to the dicier spots. :cool:

rickt

Platinum Supporting Member
I gigged with all my gear. Pedals are probably most at risk for spilled beverages and other shenanigans. No point in paying for boutiques if you aren't going to play them.

willie k

Gold Supporting Member
I sure do, i don't buy gear as an investment. Been gigging my '65 blackface for 35+ years. My Reinhardt 18 head is my other favorite. The Komet Connie.. doesn't get out much LOL. Too loud for most gigs and I do kinda worry about that one. Bogner Shiva I used to gig a lot. But it's heavy and loud and doesn't fit what i'm doing these days.
That Connie is useless to you. I will do you a solid and take it off your hands.

Heinz W

Genuine '66 Relic
Platinum Supporting Member
I gig my Swart Super Space Tone 30 w/ matching 2x12. I will also gig my '58 LP Junior once it gets refretted. Why wouldn't I use my best sounding gear? The audience may not know or care how I sound, but I do.

ur2funky

Silver Supporting Member
A few times I've taken the brand name off of my amps (if they come off and go back on easily). Partly because I like replacing them with a vintage car emblem as a goof, and that it's not too obvious I'm walking in with a $2k amp is a bonus.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom