Do you guys leave your amps plugged in?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by morglan, Jul 24, 2008.

1. morglan

morglan Supporting Member

I mean, do you leave them plugged in all the time? Is there any danger in doing this?

(Probably a dumb question, but for some reason, I've always unplugged my amps when I'm done playing, and now I'm questioning this practice...)

2. Peppy

Peppy Member

Usually. Leave the computer plugged in, the clock, the t.v., the microwave...you get the picture.

3. neil99

neil99 Member

Unplug all the power strips for the computer and amps when a thunder storms roll through (like right now). Lost my DSL modem a couple weeks ago when a tree took out all the utility lines on my street.

4. mitch236

mitch236 Member

I have my amp plugged into the Furman power strip and always turn the strip off when I'm done. It's not a bad practice to get into but probably isn't very important.

5. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Mine are plugged into a surge protector and if there are nasty storms coming that gets unplugged. I've seen what lightning can do.

6. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

I always unplug my gear....goofy things can happen during electric storms and I figure, why take the chance?

7. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

I unplug it if I see a storm coming, but they are all plugged into surge suppressors so the MOVS in there should take care of the spikes.

Its is safest to unplug it, but not really necessary if you have some nice surge suppressor strips that are not too old. (MOVs in the strips do degrade after use)

8. picnic

picnic Supporting Member

Bad experiences with lightning at my home. A hit will toast anything and everything. When a bad storm is rolling through my area, I unplaug the amps. Otherwise, the amps stay plugged in.

9. MetalHeadd

MetalHeadd Member

I unplug my tube amps, but my little SS crate practice amp is always plugged in. I think I'm daring lightning to destroy it so I can get something else. :)

10. Alter

Alter Member

i always turn the power strip off when done playing

11. mike80

mike80 Member

I leave mine plugged into a Furman, but unplug that after every use.

12. Franklin

Franklin Member

I unplug it every time. I take no chances!!!

13. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

I unplug everything when a storm is approaching. And sometimes I unplug my amp(s) when I'm threw playing just to be sure.

14. gilmutt

gilmutt Member

I always unplug amps - its a habbit I got into after leaving a lovely old Ampeg on for a day and burning out a bunch of components.

I don't know whether what happened was simply the duration it switched on for or whether it was effected by a surge/spike whilst I was away.

On reflection I know its a bit OCB but its now part of my routine to unplug everything from the mains after use. :NUTS

15. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Member

+1000!

16. 5E3

5E3 Member

:agree

I too have a Furman and do the exact same thing. All of my effects and amps are plugged into it (though I don't turn more than one amp on at a time).

17. vchizzle

vchizzle Supporting Member

If you're already in the habit of unplugging, why change?

I'm plugged into a Furman or other surge protector. If I'm playing everyday, I don't usually unplug. Always unplug when it storms. If I know I'm not gonna play for awhile I'll unplug it all.

18. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

I usually unplug even in good weather, and always unplug when the weather looks threatening.

It's not like it takes more than a second or two...cheapest insurance you can buy. ;)

19. recto-robbie

recto-robbie Member

I unplug it every evening even though its on a heavy duty circuit protector. Its not that hard to pull the plug from the wall.

20. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

I leave an amp at church and I unplug it during the week. At home I seldom unplug unless there's a bad storm.

Recently I was practicing when a storm blew in and lighting hit so close it erased the digital menory in my CAE RS 10 switcher. I checked and it also knocked the TV off. The TV was on a surge protector so a reset took care of it. The RS 10 took a lot more to reprogram. I'm just glad I didn't get zapped.