Do you guys like Whitesnake?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by mikeratan00, Apr 14, 2019 at 8:08 PM.

1. Sweetfinger

Sweetfinger Supporting Member

I'm a big fan of the first, about 8 records, up to and including "Slide It In". After that, yuk.
    I really don't hear a lot of Zeppelin influence in them, its more visual. I think the Zep references are made by casual observers without a lot of context, in the same way that as a slide guitarist, I always get compared to Duane Allman, even though my style is completely different and Duane is pretty far down on the list of my influences. It's simply the closest, or only reference someone has.
    For the first 8 years of the band's run, they were much more extrapolated from American Soul and R&B, and the Peter Green era Fleetwood Mac. There's nothing in the Whitesnake catalog that's like the Zeppelin Celtic or folk stuff, no Renaissance fair or mythological lyrics. It's Bobby Blue Bland with rock guitars.

Are you aware there's an entire chunk of the band's history that is as removed from 80s pop-metal as the Buckingham/Nicks Fleetwoood Mac is removed from the Peter Green Mac?

porcytree and mikebat like this.
  2. MoarGear

MoarGear Member

Every rose has it's thorn, you know.

3. mikebat

mikebat Member

In tiny doses when I want to have a nostalgic moment.

In the best way, I don't think we are supposed to take them seriously. I mean....their name is as sophomoric as Limp Bizkit, Finger Eleven or Friedman's names for his amps

4. shadow mask

shadow mask Member

I like “Is This Love” - both the album and demo versions. It’s a good song and John Sykes’ rhythm guitar parts are great. Beyond that nothing really. Coverdale was good in Deep Purple though, I think that’s about the only stage of his career I really rate. He was awful with Jimmy Page.

5. porcytree

porcytree Member

I like all the early stuff ( Trouble - Slide It In ) and regard the Ready & Willing / Come 'An Get It / Saints & Sinners run of albums as the peak of that more "bluesy" incarnation(s) of the band.

Not really a fan of the "hair metal" years and there have only been a handful of songs on the later albums that I would consider to be close to the quality of that 3 album run.

pomfret likes this.
  6. TopJimmy5150

TopJimmy5150 Member

I like them with John Sykes. I like how he punched up the "Slide It In" album and of course he is a monster on the '87 album. The album with Vai is an occasional fun listen. The band since then does nothing for me.

Hamer95USA likes this.
  7. Imem

Imem Member

I don't know why but that thread title made me think of this.

[​IMG]

8. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

Two of my favorite guitarists!

kebotrans likes this.
  9. Bankston

Bankston Member

Whitesnake is a good example of an artist taking the Zeppelin influence and creating a new identity with it (pay attention, Greta Van Fleet!). Being able to draw from Deep Purple as inspiration didn't hurt that effort either.

Hamer95USA likes this.
  10. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

The video in the OP isn't very "live" at all, this is what DC sounds like now unfortunately.

11. mrface2112

mrface2112 Member

Yep! Saw em at the Patriot Center in Fairfax, VA in 91 on the "Slip of the Tongue" tour with Vai and Vandenberg on guitar.

Contemplating seeing them in a couple weeks, here in a smallish venue in Richmond.

12. bloodninja

bloodninja Member

Hell yeah, I'm going to see them on 5/1!

13. jim683

jim683 Member

I saw them Saturday night. The band especially Tommy Aldridge is amazing. Coverdale's vocals arent the same as they were in the 80's but he can still sing. The other 4 members up front sing and they help with the vocals. The performace was great and they were all singing, no backing tracks that I could hear. I saw the Scorpions a month ago and they were also great, but did use backing tracks on some songs.

Hamer95USA and freedom's door like this.
  14. harpinon

harpinon Silver Supporting Member

Thanks. Somehow I have never heard that really early Coverdale before. That is more Motown than blues to me, but I like it.

15. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

16. paulydangerous

paulydangerous Member

17. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

Yep! Even slip of the tongue. Big fan of Sykes era too

soundmuppet likes this.
  18. soundmuppet

soundmuppet Member

I did, back in the day, and still do like Whitesnake. Unapologetically so....hey, we all get to like what we like.

19. slybird

slybird Member

20. Tri7/5

Tri7/5 Supporting Member

I'm a fan of Sykes so the time he was with them he wrote some devastating riffs and leads and am a fan of that time. You can completely hear the dynamic change with him there. Not a fan of "whitesnake" per-se.

Hamer95USA and kebotrans like this.