Do you guys like Whitesnake?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by mikeratan00, Apr 14, 2019 at 8:08 PM.

1. fjblair

fjblair Silver Supporting Member

2. blandy-rhoades

blandy-rhoades Member

3. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

Not really. They are talented and all, and I appreciate the abilities of the members but they are a band that came along after rocks creation period was well over and pretty much just rehashed something that already existed.
    I remember people calling the Zeplin clones, which I thought was probably true to some degree, but in reality they just didn't have the fire and passion in their music like Zeplin did.

4. Toby Krebs

Toby Krebs Member

In the late 80s the band I was in with a bunch of sight reading monster players called them wait for it...........buttsnake!

5. Laketta

Laketta Member

lespaulreedsmith and mrface2112 like this.
  6. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

Unfortunately, there will always be 2 camps of Whitesnake fans: early Whitesnake with Moody & Marsden rock/blues era or post '87 with John Sykes/Adrian Vandenberg/Steve Vai. I'm in the latter camp, but have listened to & appreciated the early era of Whitesnake with Moody & Marsden.

Guitar George

7. Madsen

Madsen Member

Not really but Coverdale was amusing on Jonesys Jukebox

8. tribalfusion

tribalfusion Member

He's got a lot of great guitarists in his stable but here are a few strong competitors for singers who have played with the most killer guitarists:

Zappa - Vai, Belew, Keneally, Cucurullo
    Dio - Blackmore, Aldrich, Campbell, Goldy, Iommi
    Graham Bonnett - Blackmore, Malmsteen, Vai, Impellitteri
    Ian Gillan - Steve Morse, Joe Satriani, Blackmore, Iommi

and 3 you might not think of:

Joni Mitchell - Pat Metheny, Larry Carlton, Robben Ford, Mike Landau
    Donald Fagen - Larry Carlton, Jon Herington, Wayne Krantz, Drew Zingg, Georg Wadenius (players who have done live shows & tours with Steely Dan; otherwise on record we can throw in Dean Parks, Mark Knopfler etc)

Gino Vannelli - Mike Miller, Allen Hinds, Carlos Rios

9. Cymbaline

Cymbaline Member

10. Bolt VanderHuge

Bolt VanderHuge Member

So much so that I formed my own tribute band, Caucasian Serpent

Mark Ray, Boston617 and VooDooClown like this.
  11. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

I think Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple (and others I like a lot) mined this vein out before these guys got a chance.

In order to get my attention, the songs would've had to be A++++. None of them are - the songs. Lyrics for the high school sophomore football squad.

I would expect that virtually all the Posters to this thread got into music well after I did. After a steady diet of Dave Davies, Joe Walsh, Leslie West and Pete Townshend and so on, you've got to be a massive heavyweight in this genre or a veteran of it won't have his fancy tickled. If you were born at the right time, then this band seemed to be "first" but if you had been around before that, they suffer.

When you arrive quite late to a sort of genre, you're IMO not going to make lasting impact with guitar virtuosity by itself. This formula just doesn't work consistently.

Only above average (and less) songcraft, ever changing lineup - that's why they're not the product I want.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019 at 5:17 PM
  12. hotrats73

hotrats73 Member

No, I don't like them but I play two of their songs (still of the night and sweet talker) with my band because some band mates like them.

13. fusgtr

fusgtr Member

Big fan. I have all their vinyls up to 1987 self titled. After that i lost the interest (with the exception of "Slip Of The Tongue" which i think it's great) mostly because i changed direction musically.
    Coverdale's GREAT voice has it's roots deep in the blues and their early works are so nice...

One of my all time fav tunes and solos:

I consider their Live at Monsters of Rock in Donington (1983) one of their greatest moments and for fans, a "must see". I have it somewhere in VHS tape. :D
    Apart from WS, Coverdale's "Northwinds" from 1978 it's great, with it's two characteristic tunes, "Only my soul" and "Say you love me".

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019 at 7:45 AM
  14. 4406cuda

4406cuda Supporting Member

Blue Murder

Boston617 likes this.
  15. DRS

DRS Member

I am in the early camp.

16. DRS

DRS Member

And don't forget Marsden and Moody:dude

pomfret and porcytree like this.
  17. Miguel Martinez

Miguel Martinez Member

They have good songs but as a whole I dont like them, I believe they are at the place they deserve on rock history, just one ore band.

18. Bogner

Bogner Member

I like and appreciate them for all their phases although I probably dislike the Vai record the most of them all. Crying in the Rain is brilliant in my book.

19. CowTipton

CowTipton Silver Supporting Member