Do you guys think this Super looks okay?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Oddos, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Pete Galati

Pete Galati Member

Looks ok, but the guy has zero feedback, and that's sort of a red flag to me with Ebay auctions.

Pete

2. Oddos

Oddos Member

Ok. Thanks.

I`m kinda getting the feeling that people don`t recommend looking for old Fenders on eBay in general. Does anyone have a tip on where else I might find some.

I`m looking for BF Super Reverb, BF Pro Reverb and maybe later a BF Deluxe Reverb.

I know I should spend some time looking around in person, but living in Norway its kinda difficul to do that more than a week at a time. So I need some other options.

Do you know any reliable stores that sell vintage gear?

3. GenoBluzGtr

GenoBluzGtr Supporting Member

The only things I notice is that the face plate says "Fender Musical Instruments" under the "Super Reverb Amp" logo... in 1965 they were supposed to say "Fender Electric Instruments"... it was 1966 when the label shifted... also, there were no "original" wheels on Super Reverbs... minor points, it's still a vintage SR.

Try www.chrisguitars.com he is an honest musician who deals in good quality used gear at very reasonable prices. I am pretty sure he has a Pro Reverb in his inventory right now. Maybe more.

4. Tapp

Tapp Member

Geno, I think it's actually '64 Fenders should have "Electric" and 65's should have "Musical". Leo sold Fender in Jan of '65 (if memory serves). I have a '65 Super Rev with "Musical" logo.

Tapp

5. Oddos

Oddos Member

Thanks!

I`ll check him out.

6. tonemandan

tonemandan Member

I agree-it's very risky to buy from someone with no feedback. I wouldn't do it. There are lots of reputable dealers in the U.S. Midtown music in Atlanta gets a lot of nice vintage pieces. They aren't cheap but they are straight up to deal with.

Hard to tell from the pics but that amp may have been retolexed too. Those staples look awfully shiny to me.

Dan

7. radialaced

radialaced Member

Man, you better run from that amp. Didn't you see all the staples holding the tolex all around the back of the amp? They're everywhere. Those staples on the tolex don't belong there. And the tolex looks puffy and baggy too. It looks like a bad repair to the tolex and it ruins the value of the amp. For that matter look at the front top left corner of the tolex...it's smooth and black like putty, paint or electricians tape.

The grill cloth has a little too much blue in it too, it's hard to tell from the pics but it could be silverface grill cloth.

Oh yeah, zero feedback.....forget about it.

Oh, one more thing. Your in Norway and the amp is in California. What is that, 6,000 miles away? Forget it.

Retail music stores can't even give away blackface supers these days. Do yourself a big favor, (since you apparently don't have much experience with these amps) and buy from a reputable dealer. They probably won't be anymore expensive than the so called "deals" on ebay.

8. Oddos

Oddos Member

I found a Pro a Chris` Guitar, think it`s sold maybe but I`ll keep looking. Told them I wanted it.

None a Midtown right now but I`ll keep checking in.

Thanks guys!

Any other suggestions would be great too.

9. radialaced

radialaced Member

Allen amps, He sells used blackface, silverface converted to blackface and his own line of amps that are similar to Fender browns, tweeds and blackface. He sells them as kits and as built amps.

http://www.allenamps.com/

10. Oddos

Oddos Member

A guy from Huge Racks Inc. just found what looks like a nice amp in Sweden that I hope to be checking out. Te site it`s on has a great policy where they hold the money until the buyer tells them he`s happy with the purchase.

Hope it`s good and that I get it.

11. rastaman

rastaman Member

:AOK Ask for Page at Midtown, he's AWESOME to deal with!

12. 6789

6789 Member

A good place to buy old amps from is www.solidbodyguitar.com
    I live close by their store. they seem very honest and enjoy helping a buyer find an amp the buyer will like. You need to call or email them, they usually have more amps at the store than what they list on the website.

13. voodoochile

voodoochile Supporting Member

14. Oddos

Oddos Member

Solidbodyguitar.com had a lot of stuff. Looks like a serious place with a lot of stuff. They even bother to write when they can`t prove that something is 100% original on an amp. I liked that. Had a couple of nice looking Pros.

Thanks so much to everyone. Now I know where to look. I`m starting to feel like a kid now. I`m glad I`m single at the moment. A girlfriend would probably kill me for what I`m about to do now.

:BEER to everyone.

Odd-Arne

15. JustAHack

JustAHack Member

Yeah, Midtown is great people. But, I was just talking with them a few weeks ago about how hard it is to find a clean Super these days (glad I have mine already).

Lots out there, at good prices because small amps are the rage now. But good Supers can be difficult to find. Not to sound discouraging, a good Super is about the best amp there is, and is worth the effort to find.

This Ebay Super has the right blackface guts, and the caps appear to be mostly intact. But the re-tolex job is wretched, the chassis is bent in at the front as if it fell on it's face from some height onto a hard surface, two speakers are replacements, and the other two don't look right (mystery meat). IMO, hold out for original Alnicos. Never buy from a zero-feedback seller. And, you will have far better chances of striking gold buying from reputable retail seller for about $200 US more than a questionable Ebay deal. These days, anyway.

I bought a clean '65 Deluxe Reverb via Ebay 5 years ago. I wouldn't try it today, too much scamming going on. Too much junk out there.

Although good Supers are hard to find, they are still relatively cheap right now, and a fully pimpin' ride. When you get yours, you will NEVER sell it. You will find one, be patient. A beater Super is OK, if all intact and original. Many "mint" vintage Fenders are "mint" for a reason - they didn't sound good enough to play the hell out of in the first place.