Do you have a lot of pedals that aren't on your pedalboard?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Jess 1971, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Jess 1971

Jess 1971 Supporting Member

I have two main pedalboards, a PT Jr. and a smaller PT Mini that I use for smaller gigs and rehearsals. But lately I've been accumulating more pedals that I want just for recording and the occasional switch-out with what's on one of my main boards. I'm wondering if perhaps I'm overdoing it with the pedals. I already know the answer to that, but I wanted to get your take on this.

Do you guys have a lot of pedals in addition to what's on your pedalboard?

2. Class5

Class5 Member

Whether or not you have too many pedals is a judgement only you can make. I recently sold my collection of 'unused' pedals to fund the purchase of guitars and amps, but that's me. I have two 'boards that I can mix and match to achieve the palette of sounds I require.

Maybe I'm getting old.....

3. jordane93

jordane93 Member

Nope. The only pedal that's not on my board is my SD-1

4. Kluch

Kluch Member

I do have a couple I don't use. Stuff that I know I probably will end up using (even if it's just in my bedroom) from time to time but I know that if I sell it I will regret it at some point and want to buy it again.

5. afterosmosis

afterosmosis Member

I don't. If I don't use it regularly, I don't keep it.

6. Rockerduck

Rockerduck Member

I have a PT-2, PTjr, mini, and nano loaded up with more pedals to spare.

7. Rockerduck

Rockerduck Member

You can also challenge yourself to just one dirt to play a gig.

8. Jess 1971

Jess 1971 Supporting Member

For gigs, yeah, I usually just use a SHOD, but I also keep a boost on my board, either a SHO or my ARC Effects Klone. A lot of th play have backline amps, so I never know what I'm going to wind up playing through. So it's nice to have a boost pedal in addition to my dirt.

9. loudif

loudif Supporting Member

They've been adding up lately and I'll likely sell some to maybe purchase something else that I'll use more. In the past year I've put together a PT mini which gets taken out to the weekly rehearsal. I keep a PT 2 to be used at home, and I have a bunch of pedals on the shelf. Mostly these are various fuzzes and ODs that get swapped in to one of the boards, a Boss DD20 (in and out of the boards), and a compressor that doesn't get used with the current guitar/amp set-up.

10. DeVilleDude

DeVilleDude Member

I have a PT Jr w 9 pedals, a home made 'nano' with 4 pedals, and could fill 2 more PT Jr's with the pedals on the shelf. Almost all my pedals not currently mounted on a board are Joyo or similar SDOTD's. I switch things up quite often so having options is fun and inspiring. I could flip all my extras and scare up enough coin to buy a CV tele I suppose, but I'd rather have the pedals.

11. Sentenced

Sentenced Member

12. C-4

C-4 Member

Here for now, Europe when I die. Am I dead yet?
    Over my lifetime, I have sold off or given away the pedals that I don't use. I have found better quality pedals with the sound I am desiring. Once they come off the board, there is usually a reason, such as being replaced by a pedal that does what I want from it better then the one I took off.

I have found that accumulating pedals and miscellaeous other gear has proven to be more of a pain then it's worth.

While I realize that certain pedals may get more valuable with time, it is not my nature to save them "just in case they become more valuable".

13. Judas68fr

Judas68fr Member

I never keep unused gear on the shelf. I always think that it would maybe make somebody happy somewhere!

I miss some of them though (my Iron Bell and my TC Flashback), but couldn't justify keeping them!

14. AudioWonderland

AudioWonderland Member

I would say 50-70% of my pedals are on the shelf at any one time. That said, we are talking about MXR/BYOC/BOSS stuff not Strymon etc so its not a ton of money. I just like to have alternatives to swap in and out. It keeps things from getting stale.

15. Drak

Drak Supporting Member

It's either on the board or on the Emporium.
    On the shelf isn't an option.

16. Rumblemeister

Rumblemeister Gold Supporting Member

Yes. Lots. I was thinking about starting a Closet of Shame thread. It was either that or a Corvette.

17. imbuedblue

imbuedblue Member

I did, but purged last year. I gig with three groups in different genres and do some recording outside of that. I had a PT-Pro and a PT-1, some pedals in case to set up on the floor for smallish gigs with one of the groups, and more pedals on a shelf that were available for recording. After a while, I felt like the separate setups for separate situations was doing my head in. I'd lost my relationship and familiarity with my tools that I had when I was younger and had a consistent setup. I'd go to hit something, and realize that whatever pedal was on a different board.

Now I'm down to the PT-1 with a few pedals on a shelf, waiting in the wings for recording sessions.

18. partytrain

partytrain Member

I have 2 boards that get gigged regularly, and a handful of extra pedals that fall into two categories: never use or occasionally swap out.

There are a couple of pedals like an old Dyna Comp, a DOD 250, Fuzz Face mini and a Rat that are constantly moving on and off of my board depending on my gig needs/mood.

Then there are pedals like my line 6 dl4 or whammy pedal that don't get used mainly because of their size. There also a few pedals that I can never find a use for, so they never get any attention. My MXR blue box comes to mind.

Last year was a year of buying gear, this year will most likely be a year of selling unused stuff (already sold a guitar and amp).

19. Hcklr

Hcklr Supporting Member

I have a TON of pedals that aren't on my board. I usually just use a little 5 pedal setup with a Pedaltrain Mini and I swap them out all the time depending on the rig I'm using, the gig, etc.

20. bt2513

bt2513 Member

I will refer you to the "show me your pedal display case" thread.

Most of my pedals sitting idle are simply out of rotation right now. Others are too inexpensive to make selling them worthwhile to me. Others have sentimental value - I still have my first pedal I ever got. And some are fairly valueable from a collector's standpoint - I keep those around mainly because I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to track one down or afford it if I wanted to play it again.