Do you have any odd guitar habits? My top ten

Coiled

I was thinking about some of the odd habits I have when it comes to playing guitar and I’m wondering if I’m alone (or crazy).

1. Wash hands with good soap and dry thoroughly before playing. I also use a little rubbing alcohol on my hands from time to time, it seems to remove oil. Yep, my hands are dry and I love playing with super dried out hands. (Winter is my favorite time to play guitar)

2. I use one guitar at a time and put on fresh strings. After 3-4 weeks I choose another guitar and restring it. This allows me to spend time with each of my guitars and I can’t be bothered to change strings on all of them all the time. I like fresh strings.

3. I always wipe my strings down after playing.

4. boveda packs for winter. I load all of my guitar cases with Boveda packs in the winter to keep humidity at a safe level. Expensive, But they work great. I also use the Boveda packs for my cigars.

5. Warming up a tube amp, I usually wait around 15 minutes, probably not needed, but I like to let it sit a while. (Usually while washing hands)

6. I use a decibel reader to check my volumes. What a great little device to keep the neighbors happy and to save my hearing.

7. Happy little accidents. (Bob Ross on guitar). I’ve found that making mistakes has also made great discoveries for me on the guitar. Oops! Wait a minute, I like whatever just happened. What is that chord?

8. Spinning in circles to make the noise go away from my noisy single coils. My wife asks “why are you standing in the corner have you been bad?” I just tell her it sounds better standing in odd places and yes, I’ve been bad.

9. Watch guitar centers deal of the day every day, I never buy as many seem like scams but I’m always curious what will pop up. Add daily craiglist searches and eBay to this ritual, I’m always looking for good deals. Also, too much time here on the gear page.

10. Warm up with guitar scales for 5-10 minutes. I’m getting old and if I leave them I played too long I seem to forget.

I know I’m nuts, I don’t mind sharing,

Last edited by a moderator:

Coiled

I also blind fold myself and turn amp knobs to see what mIght happen. I’ve found if you over think or follow old tone habits, you get stuck in a rut. Just crank those knobs without looking and you’ll discover tones you never thought of. (And garbage sounds as well)

BigDoug1053

Gold Supporting Member
I rarely change strings and do a similar prep and cleanup after playing as the OP.

shupe13

I too wash my hands before I play. Each and every time. Rubbing alcohol? No.

Wipe my strings down after every use.

I warm up with scales about 50% of the time.

I do let my amp warm up for a few minutes or so.

I rotate through my guitars each session most of the time. New guitars get a full week to themselves.

If my ears start to bleed, I step away from the amp.

I will sit back and marvel at the beauty of a guitar.

Coiled

I too wash my hands before I play. Each and every time. Rubbing alcohol? No.

Wipe my strings down after every use.

I warm up with scales about 50% of the time.

I do let my amp warm up for a few minutes or so.

I rotate through my guitars each session most of the time. New guitars get a full week to themselves.

If my ears start to bleed, I step away from the amp.

I will sit back and marvel at the beauty of a guitar.

Don’t knock the rubbing alcohol, it really dries things up! Also, I stay away from soaps like Dove with moisturizers, they make things sticky.

Got a good chuckle out of your ear bleeding technique for volume.

MBreinin

Silver Supporting Member
I turn my amp on standby and let it sit all day, playing from time to time.

I have been known to pick up a guitar with a raw maple neck and play it after working on my car all day, with the nastiest hands you have ever seen...intentionally.

I have 50 feet of cable, so I can crank my amp in the dining room and play in the living room. Nice natural reverb that way.

I make videos of new guitars to show my son in Texas.

If I decide to sell off or trade a guitar, I never play it again.

These are as strange as it gets, LOL.

Coiled

I have kids which means I have to spend a lot of time doing boring things. I’ve been known to carry my guitar to baseball games. I practice while they practice and couldn’t care one bit about what people think. I do look a little strange sitting at a baseball field with a guitar but it really makes time fly.

The kids at the bus stop always ask me to play Metallica, my little girl gets so embarrassed but the kids love it. I’ll have to carry an amp to the bus stop for the kids some day. Life is good.

Coiled

I turn my amp on standby and let it sit all day, playing from time to time.

I have been known to pick up a guitar with a raw maple neck and play it after working on my car all day, with the nastiest hands you have ever seen...intentionally.

I have 50 feet of cable, so I can crank my amp in the dining room and play in the living room. Nice natural reverb that way.

I make videos of new guitars to show my son in Texas.

If I decide to sell off or trade a guitar, I never play it again.

These are as strange as it gets, LOL.
Good stuff ! Much credit for dirty hands, that’s a real relic job! I might have to try that on one of my Strats.

Get a Shure GLXd wireless and you can walk to the mail box while playing. You’ll love it and won’t trip on your cable! I love the looks people give me.

musicman10_1

Silver Supporting Member
Good stuff.

I tune up (always bring the note up to pitch)
If I decide to sell something it becomes dead to me - no playing no looking - just detach
I like to change strings on guitars in batches - 3 or 4 guitars in one shot - I've got the stuff out and so I might as well do several
I have a specific sequence for turning my rig on and off and I follow it the same way every time
I'm sure that i have others to list, but that is a good start for now.

JiveJust

If I’m gonna be in a recording session I’ll put Tuf- Foot on my calluses for a week or so. I know it’s cheating but it’s worth it.

Other than tweaking my amp by listening at the end of my 20 ft cord I’m pretty boring.

Coiled

I sometimes wash my hands. I never change strings, clean or wipe down after use.
Never change strings? The first week after a change is pretty amazing but after that I guess it starts to matter less. Not a bad system I guess, it sure saves the hassle of changing strings. They don’t sound dull to you?

Coiled

Good stuff.

I tune up (always bring the note up to pitch)
If I decide to sell something it becomes dead to me - no playing no looking - just detach
I like to change strings on guitars in batches - 3 or 4 guitars in one shot - I've got the stuff out and so I might as well do several
I have a specific sequence for turning my rig on and off and I follow it the same way every time
I'm sure that i have others to list, but that is a good start for now.

I’ve only owned one guitar that I detached from and sold. All my other guitars are like pets. It was a Kotzen Tele that had to go. I did love the pickups on that though.

pyna

OP goes farther than i’m comfortable with but some of these ideas are legit in other music traditions.

for example, if you want to play sitar or sarod part of “practice” is to bathe first, and an important part of the pedagogy is about being in the right state of mind before you play a single note

Trending Topics