Do you have any ‘perfect‘ guitars?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Switters, Sep 18, 2019.

1. Switters

Switters Member

I have a bunch of guitars, some that I love -really love and would hate to sell.

Recently I made a list of everything, and as I looked through it I noticed that everything I have has some sort of compromise. I know I’m pretty picky, but everything ‘is great, but....’ Whether it’s the colour or neck profile or fret size or whatever - nothing is exactly how I would have it if I could.

Tell me about your perfect guitars.

And - did you search for something specific, or did it just happen to be be ‘perfect’?

2. Gclef

Gclef Member

Yes.

My Yamaha revstar rs502t in Bowden green.

I cant think of a thing I would change.

Switters and ibis like this.
  3. AndyMander82

AndyMander82 Member

I have a Bc Rich Bich ST that is not objectively perfect but it is defiantly perfect for me. Mostly due to the neck it just fits my hand. Bought it on a whim also after a really good deal on a Steve Smyth fell did work out. Didnt search it out the guitar but it really got me back in to playing. If I was to ever get a custom guitar made it would have the same specs as the neck on that Bich.

Have 3 Bichs also and the necks are completely different on all of them too.

Switters likes this.
  4. marsos52

marsos52 Member

i have 4 guitars and each one is used for different music
    and all are perfect to me by playability , feel, tome ,and looks.

truth is if i could only have one,, the Ronin Mirari is the winner

5. s2y

s2y Member

Despite many electric guitars, I don't know if any of them are "perfect". My idea of perfection would be a guitar that nail Les Paul+Strat tones while being light, double locking trem, and super low action. Have yet to find that all in one guitar yet. May happen some day, I suppose.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bob Thompson oversized OM with torrified Englemann top, Brazilian back/sides. Best all around acoustic I have ever played or heard. If it makes me sound good, it must be amazing. Responsive enough for fingerstyle with enough headroom to tolerate heavy flat picking. Volume isn't horribly far off from a nice dread.

[​IMG]

Rob Allen Mouse 30 bass. 30" scale short scale heavily chambered bass. I think it's under 6lbs. Super light ash body, koa top, and Brazilian RW fingerboard. Fishman piezo. The overall wood, construction, LaBella tapewound strings, and Fishman make it much more versatile than it might seem. Works well in most mixes, minus heavy metal. Conveniently fits in a guitar gig bag. Sometimes seems to play itself.

muzishun likes this.
  6. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Silver Supporting Member

Perfect? No.
    Perfectly fine, yes.
    My gear in no way impedes my ability to make the music I want.

My Tele is a ‘geezerburst’, I have loved the yellowed Oly white since I first played a friends brother’s Tele in 1973. If I could snap my fingers and change the color, I would. But taking it apart, sending it away, paying $500, and putting it back together wouldn’t make it play or sound any better. So I’m cool with it looking like it always has.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  7. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

I was looking for the same thing and found it.

Here is my "Perfect" guitar. Carvin DC600 that I bought from the Emporium.

It has a maple neck thru body which gives it amazing upper fret access. 24 jumbo SS frets. A slim narrow 25" scale neck set. Floyd Rose trem with a D-Tuna installed.
    The Humbuckers split for great humbucker and single coil tones. I have it setup with very low action. It plays really fast and easy.
    Weighs just under 8 lbs and is perfectly balanced when wearing it with a strap.

This guitar sounds amazing. Every note rings out on this guitar. Fantastic sustain. Very "responsive" It doesn't sound like the typical "overly bright" Carvin that many people describe. The PUs are very clear. It can go from mean scream to clean with just using the guitar's volume knob and/or switching from a humbucker to a single coil setting. The most versatile guitar I've ever owned.

My Luthier did a little work on it for me and described it as "cutting edge".

This guitar sees the most gigging time over others I own which include 4 Gibson Les Pauls, an SG, a Hamer, PRS and others.

Couple of pics and video of it in action.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  8. caledoneus

caledoneus Member

My white epiphone SG is pretty much perfect for me. Sounds good, feels awesome to play, looks great. Probably the only thing about it I would change is it has the glossy finish on the neck, and I prefer unfinished necks....

9. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later
    When I first look at a guitar I am thinking of buying, it has to meet my scrutiny test, just as I'm sure, all of you do.
    If it needs anything, and by this, I mean only very small changes like a nut, etc. I may buy it, but my guitars go to my luthier's shop and every nuance of imperfection, that either I or they find, is taken care of.

When I get it back, I do my own setups.
    Life is too short to have to make concessions to an imperfect playing guitar.

10. Bluzeboy

Bluzeboy Member

All of mine with the exception of my Collings 0002.

I, apparently, am not like the majority of folks here. I refuse to buy things
    I will have to mod. Don’t like the pickups I’ll pass on the guitar. Not comfortable with the neck shape or feel I’ll pass and find one I am comfortable with..

Bodeanicus likes this.
  11. singlecutarmy

singlecutarmy Member

1955I is pretty much perfect, just needs a new switch at some point. I practiced bends for 2 hours on it yesterday and the top 3 strings never went out of tune.

The rest have some setup issues but otherwise I think they're perfect guitars, the only one that NEEDS a mod is my DBZ which I'm trying to find the right bridge pickup for, the stock and first replacement I tried both flopped. I have my eyes on two more to try before I give up on it as just tonally incompatible with my needs.

Oh my Legator could use tuners, stock ones are garbage.

12. Friedmett

Friedmett Member

The perfect guitar?

Oh yes I completed that and the 2 favorites are still with me sine 1995 and 1997.

It started with a trade offer for a partscaster. I had a Gibson Explorer for sale and he suggested a straight trade. I was looking for cash not a strat but let me get the number and call you back. So I was thinking of it and since it was 1995 a Fender Clapton neck was only on the signature models. No Ebay yet. Also the Schecter ash body sounded like quality. So I called back and arranged to get that guitar.

I started to perfect it right away as some parts did not look right to me and so it got slowly updated over 3 times since then and last time was 2014. I put new Fender CS69 pickups in 1998 and got the tonality right. The tremolo system is brass and so is the block. The body dates to September 1977.

Tuning stabilty is really good and whatever I plug into it sounds very good. I am very used to be playing it and it has everything in a stratocaster I could ever want. Besides being the only one in the world.

But that was not enough!

Having suddenly a stratocaster SSS to play was one thing and when my ESP KH2 got delivered back due to lack of payment I was alone with it and that did not feel very good. Back a few years and the idea for the sort of ultimate guitar came from Cliff'em'all VHS video with Metallica. Kirk's black Jackson Rhoads now that was it!

By 1994 I got a bunch of catalogs from a local music store and one was a Jackson. I looked for one similar to Kirk's and the Jackson original Rhoads was close enough though gold/brass hardware and Duncan pickups. Still very cool in my mind. Reality check that's $5000 I thought.

I ended up getting a new ESP KH2 which was a compromise. Then partscaster happened and being with just that made me go close to nutz as I had to really push myself and so by the summer of 1996 I went: Order that Jackson and find the job to pay for it! In that order. Which I did. Job happened as I blurted out the name of a company across the street and what does it take? A talk and trial was setup a day or so later but I had the job for the next 5 years.

So my dream guitar arrived in December of 1996 here in Denmark and I went in January 1997 to pick it up. I still recall the day. Opening the case the first time: WOW! Having never really tried a Rhoads I found it instantly right in all areas and with no locking tremolo neck through just awesome. It came with RR2772 serials and for some time I did not know what it meant but it stands for costum shop. Much later I found the main inspection guy on Facebook so there is history too in the whole Jackson experience. My order was custom shop only. I was not informed at the time and thought it was in stock somewhere. The waiting time was about the same.

As it turned out I need at least 2 electric guitars to be happy and one without the other does not feel any good.

13. fjrabon

fjrabon Member

There’s really two different ways of looking at something being a “perfect” guitar:

1) it’s a guitar that plays as well as physically possible, can get any sound you want easily, has no craftsmanship errors, looks exactly how you’d like, balances perfect, has the exact neck you’d like, is the exact weight you’d like

2) is a perfect example of its kind. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with it, and it has all the options you’d want for a guitar of that type. It may not get every tone you want, because that type of guitar isn’t designed to, but it gets the tones that type of guitar gets perfectly. No flaws in craftsmanship.

1, for most of us, I think is literally physically impossible. Many of us at times desire things that are contradictory in a guitar. The best custom built guitar in the world will have to make some choices where one desire is compromised in favor of another desire that ranks as more important.

2, sure. For the type, I think my LP, 335 and PRS Vela are “perfect” as I have them now. The Vela came from the factory exactly as I’d have it. The 335 came with regular Grovers that I changed out for locking Grovers, changed out the black top hats for gold reflector knobs but is otherwise stock. The LP has had quite a few changes: pickups, wiring harness, tuners, etc. but is now exactly what I want a LP to be.

HesNot likes this.
  14. Oldschool59

Oldschool59 Member

Perfection only exists in a vacuum. Regardless how ''perfect'' something seems to be in context, there are always circumstances that can change that. Guitar examples: My Suhr Custom Modern is perfect for rock/metal/funk. It can do blues really, really well, but it's too ''polished'' for that, IMO. My PWE Custom Tele is perfect for anything I can throw at it, except for the highest gain stuff. There is no ''perfect'' guitar for everything. And we're talking about custom instruments, built to one's precise preferences. My Gibby R9 is a great guitar, but fit & finish-wise, it's a long way from perfect, at least from Suhr and PWE levels of craftsmanship. But I absolutely love it, even though you have to fight it when playing. Perfection is over-rated, and the idea of attainable perfection diminishes the joy of an otherwise honest instrument. Cheers.

AprioriMark, HERSCHEL and clcwarlock like this.
  15. GiorgioV

GiorgioV Member

My ES330 is not a perfect guitar but it is a perfect iteration of the ES330 model.

Sounds fabulous, plays amazing, weights nothing and does not have any significant feedback issues. All the pots work great, the tuners are great, the frets are just how I like them. I didn't change one single screw on it, just added straplocks.

However, the ES330 in itself is not a perfect guitar. Fret access is limited, and also it feels fragile, which makes me hesitant to gig with it in some places.

All in all considered, since no guitar is really objectively perfect, I'd say it's "perfect enough".

Jayyj likes this.
  16. Ejay

Ejay Member

I dont think any guitar is perfect.
    The ones i own i own for good reasons...but they are not perfect.

My byrdland sounds amazing for jazz..but i wouldnt mind a slightly wider nut, and it doesn't do overdrive well.
    My prs513s tuning isnt as stable as could be, necks a tad to chunky and im not a fan of prs intonation..yet its a great sounding versatile guitar..i have yet to put my hands on something that matches it.
    My blade strat...playability to die for ..superflexible electronics..but getting an "in your face sound" is still work in proces.

I check a lot of high end guitars on a regular basis...but despite the above im never tempted to buy something else.

HERSCHEL likes this.
  17. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Supporting Member

I only have one perfect guitar and it’s a Hamer Korina Artist w/ P90s. The neck is the perfect medium C profile, the medium jumbo frets are spot on, the hardware does not need to be replaced, it resonates, it’s setup with medium low action like I like, looks great and the only thing I needed to change to make it mine was install Mojotone ‘56 Quiet Coil P90s.

I’m picky and I can find fault with everything I’ve owned since I started playing guitar - except for that one. I could sell everything else tomorrow and it would be ok just as long as that one was still around.

hitchcockblonde and JukeBoxRat like this.
  18. mdubya

mdubya Member

Yep.

2013 ES 330 VOS. Sounds and plays fantastic. Access above the 16th fret is not needed because the rest of the guitar is so perfect.

[​IMG]

2014 ES 335 Dot Reissue. So versatile. So sweet to play. From jazz to AC/DC to NWOBHM to 60's pop to rockabilly. Perfect.

[​IMG]

2006 SG Classic. P-90's. Perfect neck. Iommi, Pete Townshend, Angus and Malcolm, Mike Bruce; does it all. Takes fuzz like nobody's business.

[​IMG]

2010 non-reverse Firebird with 3 P-90's. Perfect neck, Custom Shop attention to detail. P-90 perfection. Matches the SG Classic in an outrageous package.

[​IMG]

2002 non-reverse Firebird with full size humbuckers. Everything the SG Classic and the other Firebird do, but with PAF style humbuckers. Covers all the territory of any SG Standard, Flying V, or Explorer. Perfect neck, great frets, nearly plays itself.

[​IMG]

2018 '59 ES 335 RI. Does everything the 2014 does in a reissue package.

[​IMG]

My guitar world is good. :aok

Swami Asango, gkoelling and Jayyj like this.
  19. Winterwind

Winterwind Member

I've said it before and I'll say it again... my 20 yr old MIK Epiphone Sheraton II.

No guitar I've owned or played or tried in a store has felt as perfectly comfortable as that one. It doesn't give me all the sounds/tones I use but overall she's the one I love most and I'd run back into a burning building for that one.

20. jamester

jamester Silver Supporting Member

Perfection is an illusion and a moving target for me. Like the OP, every one of my guitars has a compromise of some sort.

David Garner likes this.