Do you have any ‘perfect‘ guitars?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Switters, Sep 18, 2019.

1. Davis Dodds

Davis Dodds Supporting Member

The ES-339 in my signature is definitely a Goldilocks "just-right" guitar for me. The one thing I missed with that guitar was a trem, so I recently added a Bigsby, but I feel like it's just about as perfect as can be for me at this point in my playing life. I can see it being my #1 for a long time.

2. Yamaha 350

Yamaha 350 Member

Cheap Yamaha Pacifica. And do not laugh a cheap First Act LP style. Great necks on both. First Act was Gold plated. And both needs almost nothing.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    darth_tar likes this.
  3. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

My Ibanez 7 strings.(Universe, K7, RG1527, RG7620)
    They work.

4. Mobass

Mobass Silver Supporting Member

My Radack Pony T is as close to perfect as any I've ever owned or played. I love everything about it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ragamuffin likes this.
  5. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

No, but I'm perfect.

6. McGTR

McGTR Member

I think the mojo is in the imperfections, it is just a question of what you can live with and what you cannot. I love all my guitars, at times I get tempted to change when I focus on the imperfections, but then I pick it up and forget all about it when Im in the sound.

7. David B

David B Silver Supporting Member

I think I have the Roseanne Roseannadanna guitar collection, "it's always something".

jamester likes this.
  8. datguytim

datguytim Supporting Member

All of 'em. Otherwise, what's the point?

9. Average Joe

Average Joe Member

In an absolute sense, no. The Tokai in my avatar is terrible at sounding like a strat.

In the sense of being a perfect specimen of its type, yes. The MIJ tokai is a perfect 335 type and my 2013 US std Strat is a perfect strat

10. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Member

Nearly all of my guitars have had some sort of modification, mostly pickups. The only ones that I haven't changed at all are my '63 Strat which had already been refretted and refinished when I bought it in the early 80s, and one perfect guitar - my very first PRS, entirely unaltered since I bought her in '87.

I have others which are pretty much perfect for me now, but they aren't original. The PRS was perfect when she came to me.

11. CaptNasty

CaptNasty Member

I know some people have gone philosophical on what perfection means and how nothing is “perfect”. I disagree. If it is a guitar that you connect with, one that makes you want to pick it up and play and it just feels “right”... that is perfection in my book.

Here is mine. A one-off 2018 USA Jackson Dinky DK2H Custom Select that I had built. I have never had a guitar that plays like this one.

[​IMG]

HoboMan, Switters and freedom's door like this.
  12. mdubya

mdubya Member

:rotflmao

I try ALL the Gibsons. :aok

For the record, I have an MIJ Squier Strat. An Ibanez FRM 100. And an Epiphone Sheratron. Plus some more Gibsons. :p

13. bubbagump_j

bubbagump_j Gold Supporting Member

Pic please

14. Jay Will

Jay Will Member

There is no such thing as a perfect guitar. There is only acceptable and unacceptable as far as fit and finish and playability go

15. EtaCarinae

EtaCarinae Member

[​IMG]

My most expensive guitar, and it feels like it. It leaves me nothing to criticize.

darth_tar, ragamuffin and Switters like this.
  16. 70' s Tone

70' s Tone Member

Yes I do!
    Johnny A, Johnny B, and Johnny C
    [​IMG]

17. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

18. JPH118

JPH118 Member

Here ya go, added to original post too...

HoboMan, JukeBoxRat and bubbagump_j like this.
  19. 70' s Tone

70' s Tone Member

Concise responses are always valued. ;)

20. hitchcockblonde

hitchcockblonde Supporting Member

All the philosophical questions about perfection and human nature aside, I get what you're saying. My Hamer Monaco SuperPro has a neck size, fret size, weight and balance that feels absolutely natural. The knobs and switch feel like they're just where they should be. Somehow the pickups are clear without being thin, full but not boomy, and the chambering gives it a nice woody sound. Since we just do our own material I don't need to cover Strat, Tele, Gretsch, 335 and Les Paul sounds but only the sound "in my head", this one does it. I suppose if it were truly perfect I wouldn't have had to raise the tailpiece a little to get the strings to not hit the bridge, and I still need occasionally a dab of lube on the nut slot of the D string. Heck, if I dropped it off a roof it would break and a perfect guitar would never break, it would smell like lavender, and it would have come with a secret compartment full of flawless diamonds.

But in terms of - within the real-world definition of electric guitar - feeling more comfortable and sounding more pleasant for my music that anything else I've touched? It's perfect enough.

bubbagump_j and the_Chris like this.