Do you have gear secrets you won't share with us?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by doc, Sep 17, 2019.

1. AndySertin

AndySertin Member

Having 15s and a dimed out twin doesn’t make you sound any closer to Stevie; it will however help you go deaf.

Bodeanicus, Abram4235 and Papanate like this.
  2. spencer096

spencer096 Member

Tone is in the elbows

jaguarillo68, Abram4235, C-4 and 2 others like this.
  3. singlecutarmy

singlecutarmy Member

No, and most people with secrets are the only ones who think they're worth keeping.

Abram4235 and C-4 like this.
  4. Guitarworks

Guitarworks Member

Yeah I got 37 years worth of experience-based info and secrets. Like some folks here I could write a book or three. The problem is, the inexperienced and outspoken novices who would benefit most from it wont listen.

Daytona57, Abram4235 and C-4 like this.
  5. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

Like we all don't know it's AXE.

6. Papanate

Shudaup....really?

7. Ferret

Ferret Supporting Member

I'm too old to keep good ideas to myself. There's no point. I recommend gear I think is outstanding but most of my sharing concerns theory or the relation between theory and guitar technique. If I think something simplifies ideas thought daunting and difficult or if I think that something has been overlooked by other explanations I'll often go for it. Sometimes I think that almost all the explanations I see are wrong, as with a recent thread on the use of modes in jazz, but I find giving what I take to be a better explanation a bit too daunting in the time I have available.

standard24 likes this.
  8. Papanate

All the silliness aside - the secrets I have are not secrets - they have been sitting right out in the open for all to see - since the 6th century BC - now come over here....yes...right here...
    ready? You have to be musical and a musician to sound good. All the tools that surround music are just that...tools.

C-4 likes this.
  9. Matteo11

Matteo11 Supporting Member

My guitar once told me she killed a man in Reno because the player got too handsey.

My gear secret is now out. I just hope she doesn’t read this.

jaguarillo68, Bodeanicus and Papanate like this.
  10. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Member

Not so much gear secrets, but I'm an acoustic physicist by trade and training, so there are a lot of things that come to mind whenever I see threads debating many topics that I deem probably a little too "deep". I do always try to respond with the essence or boil it down a little, but it always ends up assuming away some components that I think are still vital.

As for gear itself, I am constantly designing new guitars and pedals, and don't like to tip my hand too early, especially with the pedals, but I always try to make them openly available after the fact. The online community has given me a ton, and I simply don't have the kind of money to buy up a bunch of as-of-yet-still-relatively-unknown gear, so I figure giving back as much as I can is a worthwhile endeavor.

11. RayBarbeeMusic

RayBarbeeMusic Member

If it didn't originate in the 50s, few here are interested anyway.

dirk_benedict likes this.
  12. Silent Sound

Silent Sound Member

I have a ton of mods that I've done to pedals and amps that I don't remember what I did. So it's kind of a secret, though it's not so much that I won't tell anyone what I did, but I don't want to waste my time to try to figure out what I did, so that I could tell anyone.

I also have a few amp and pedal designs that I've built from scratch that I lost the schematics for. I'm sure they're hidden away somewhere, because I obviously wrote them down to build from. Though I don't know if I wrote down all of the subsequent modifications. It usually takes me about six months to complete a project. One month to make it, followed by five months of tweaking until it's perfect. So the final circuit can be very different from the initial design.

I'm not interested in keeping secrets though. Generally, I'd rather share my designs with other people. But who wants to copy the work of a guy no one's ever heard of? Besides, all of my gear has been fine tuned to my ear. It's all custom made for me, not made to appeal to a wide audience.

13. Tootone

Tootone Member

When I figure something out, I will tell the world. It is up to them if they want to listen.

I like to pull back the curtains of the wizards.

14. VintagePlayerStrat

VintagePlayerStrat Supporting Member

More than I can count. But they only work in my mancave. : )

Vaibhav Joshi likes this.
  15. FLYING V 83

FLYING V 83 Gibson Geezer Silver Supporting Member

Animal sacrifice at the feet of the guitar an hour before the show.

Bodeanicus likes this.
  16. Funky54

Funky54 Member

W H O T O L D?

17. 89strat

89strat Member

Less is more

Less distortion
    Less stacking overdrives
    Less stage volume
    Less Pedals to trip over
    Less equipment to carry at load-in
    Less bass and more treble on the amp.
    Less effect on delays and modulations except when called for.
    Less windings on the string posts.
    Less heavy handedness, more dynamics

Spend more time developing your tone with what you have instead of buying stuff that you think will do it for you.

18. Fitzer

Fitzer Supporting Member

1. Good tip
    2. Just a regular copper cable with the ground shielding clipped off at one end. Sorry to ruin the magic

19. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Supporting Member

If I told you, I'd have to kill you.

20. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

Yes and no. I am pretty open about how I use my gear, but I have designed a way to build lightweight wooden cabs that I don't share, mostly because it is something I should trademark but just don't want to go to the hassle of, and I certainly am too old to start manufacturing cabs and starting a business.
    So perhaps I will turn the design over to my son some day in case he wants to market it.

But other than that, no. I've never been very competitive about anything and could care less if someone else uses my ideas, and in fact have always been very open to share them.
    Which is the only reason I can think of other than intellectual property reasons, that guys are just too competitive and fear giving the competition a leg up with their expertise.
    Which, as I say, I am not competitive at all, I am confident enough with my skills that I have never considered other musicians to be any kind of threat to my place in the pecking order of all things music.
    I used to compete with myself, trying to one up what I could do last year and all that, I don't even have it in me to do that now, I am quite complacent and content with things the way they are. But I still do learn new things. Just for the sake of learning them, whether I use them or not.

A few of mine are:
    The chapstick thing already mentioned is very handy, a good way to have lube neat and not messy and always handy.

I carry a briefcase to gigs, not all that unusual. It is a large one and has 30 years worth of set lists in it, My wireless attached to a board with a couple of pedals on it, a box of necessities like a swiss army knife/transformer tool that has needle nose and screwdrivers and cutters in it. Tiny flashlights, various batteries ( including those 2032 buttons for Snarks), something to write with, a spare pair of cheaters in a case (I can no longer see things close up, cheaters are part of life for me) extra strings, a string winder, a circuit tester, a few slides, picks, and just about everything else that isn't in a guitar case.

Also in it is super glue and liquid skin, invaluable in case of a small cut or hangnail that drives me nuts, Antacids, and some arthritis joint grease of some kind.

In my gig ride I keep an analog ohm meter, extra computer style power chords, bungee chords, tarps for outside gigs.

A trick I discovered for drummers purely out of imagination and fluke thinking, the drummer and band leader I play with calls all of his drum hardware and mike stands "finger pinching sh!t". When I first started playing with the guy his drum hardware was something we carried into gigs individually from his gear trailer. He doesn't like any of his hardware cases. I spotted a huge hard plastic golf club case at a yard sale and took it to him, we have used it since and it works great. The wheels on them wear out over time, so I just find another one at a garage sale for him.

When I buy an amp to restore that is in bad shape and plan to flip it, I repair the gouges and dings in tolex with super glue, I just glue the flaps back down into place with a dab of super glue and anywhere the wood shows through use permanent black marker. The grain in tolex masks the repair , and the repair is good and solid enough to consider permanent. The same thing works on guitar cases. I also use Amor All on grubby looking tolex, it brings life and shine back to it.

For band banners, a good keeper for them in gig trailers is to make a tube from 4" plastic plumbing pip and close off caps, glue the close off cap to one and and leave the done on the open end unglued.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    sonic1974 and Bodeanicus like this.