do you have pedals, just to have them?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rdba, Mar 5, 2008.

1. rdba

rdba Member

hey guys,

might be interessting if there are some guys that have pedals only to have them, but don't use them!!

2. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I have a Keeley BD-2 and a BYOC Trem. I rarely use either of them. I like them both but plugging straight-in is so much easier.

3. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Now that you mention it...um...yeah. Too many actually.

I do tend to use about 70% of my pedals in a given period, like say 4 months or something. I switch out quite a few with only a few being constant (I tend to always have Zendrive, and Visual Sound H2O), one of 4 wahs I own, sometimes fuzz, etc.

But it is getting a little silly. I have too many pedals, and keep meaning to weed out the ones I am for sure not going to miss or wish I'd kept. There are a number of pedals I love, but not for my current band. Those I would keep for now anyway. I find I love vibe pedals, but that in the blues band, our style of blues, I just don't get to use it much, so I play with them at home for fun.

But I might get into another band as well and then would want them. Though 4 vibes is also silly.

I think I am making up for not ever having money for pedals when I was younger. I did fine without them, but balance is the key, and I am out of balance for the last few years. Think it would be a smart thing to weed them out and sell, get some money. Especially when I don't NEED the money, I can ask a reasonable but good price and not sweat if no one bites right away. Selling when and if I needed money, losing proposition for me.

4. dancehall

dancehall Member

I have an spare copy of a discontinued pedal in case my current one ever breaks down. Does that count?

Otherwise I try to sell what I don't use.

5. tjstrat

tjstrat Member

Right now I have a Barge DB-1, a pair of modded SD-1s, a Clark Gainster, a Catalinbread Poblano Serrano Picoso and a Zendrive out of my two board rotation.

6. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

I bought one each of the last eric Shannon Phaser and UniPhase pedals, mainly just to "have them." But it turned out that they sound too good to keep on a shelf, so I put them on my main pedalboard.

7. KazJY

KazJY Member

Yep, I have a Rotovibe that was a gift given to me at my bachelor party, and a Discombobulator that just sit. Never mind the 80's Ibanez Chorus (keeping it in case I need parts for my TS9), my extra Dunlop wah...

I should downsize at some point, because I feel guilty that they all just sit, but it's nice to have them in case... in case of what, I don't know (boredom?)

8. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Just to make it clear too...all pedals I have bought were with the intention of using them a LOT. Just didn't always turn out that way. I can't recall ever buying a pedal "just to have" intentionally.

Some pedals knock me out, and I use a lot (Zendrive, H2O)
    Some pedals I like a lot but can't use with the current band (vibes, trem, etc.)
    Some pedals are for special use with one or other amp, say an amp without reverb, I have a couple reverb pedals, or delay.
    Some pedals are unique, and I keep them for recording options but won't be using them live.

Some pedals, just keep hanging around, even though I don't like them :p

9. jpagey

jpagey Supporting Member

Why is it interesting that people might collect pedals?

10. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

I have a mint condition gray box DOD 280 compressor. Every 3 months I take it off the shelf, plug it in my chain, scratch my head and put it back on the shelf. I can't bring myslef to sell it. I keep telling myself I will either mod it or figure it out one day. 6 years later.... I still haven't done either.

11. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I think I see the problem...you are supposed to scratch the strings instead of your head! ;)

I too...have a compressor and like it a lot but never seem to get it to my pedalboard. I think the real estate is too prime, though it really is a nice thing to have sometimes.

12. Alter

Alter Member

i ve got a bunch of stuff i don't use often, but its good knowing that when you need a particular sound in a session or gig you will have a good pedal to deliver!

13. Wooley

Wooley Member

Dozens.
    I love pedals.
    And if another wave of digital sweeps through, or whatever the next "better thing" is, I don't want to be sorry that I can no longer get this or that pedal, or that I have to pay $1000.

14. shakti

shakti Member

Kind of. I have been putting together a large pedal board which features almost all the major effects out there, trying to find the one that best covers my needs. Meaning I have clean boost, treble boost, light OD/boost, heavy OD/distortion, fuzz (Fuzzface, Superfuzz, Tonebender, Big Muff), octave up and down, envelope filter, wah, ring mod, compressor, vibe, phase, chorus, flange, analog and tape delay.

Is it "too much"? Definitely, yes. Currently I'm not even in a band, but I was using most of it in my previous band in some capacity. However, I also like to keep one around of each effect just because you never know when you're going to want/need to use it.

My big challenge now is to try to group them into two boards where one is the "go-to" board, and the other is icing on the cake....

15. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

what do you mean:

"use them"?

like playing with them in the snow or at the beach,
    like little cars?

My wah is the big Tonka Truck, my Timmy is my Bimmer, the Red Snapper is my Police car, the germ My Ambulance and that is how it goes.

16. Jam119

Jam119 Member

Around my Studio I treat my collection as a spice rack... I never know what flavor we're gonna need for a track so It's nice to have options... My main personal board is combo of Barber Drives (LTD.SR Mod Board, Tone Pump EQ, BUEQ, DD and Launch Pad) and a Klon - but I keep a Keeley modded BD-2, Fulltone OCD V.3 / '69 Fuzz among others around...

17. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

If it's not on the board, it gets sold.

-Ben

18. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

Yes. I very rarely plug my guitar into an amp. i also don't gig. What the hell is wrong with me.

19. Lintybits

Lintybits Member

I've got a Mid-Fi What? just sitting on a shelf. (among other things)

It's been a couple of years since they were made, not exactly sure how many there are but I know it's a pretty low number. Took me over a year to track one down.

It's a crazy amplitude modulating stuttering fuzz. I should be using it more but I don't. I probably should sell it but since it was a quest for so long I'd feel bad

20. blackjack davey

blackjack davey Senior Member

I have a few Fuzz/Dirt boxes that I keep around because they are either discontinued or hard to find. Everything else gets sold or traded if not being used.

'91 Big Box Rat with original LM308n
    Analogman modd'd Ibanez TS-9DX
    Analogman Peppermint Fuzz
    Fuzz Factory painted by Myrold
    Fulltone SoulBender
    EHX Big Muff, NYC (custom modd'd by RonSound)