Do you have this problem?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by P90s, May 3, 2015.

1. P90s

P90s Member

I love the sound of the bridge pickup on my Les Paul R9. But the thick neck isn't ideal for me. I know that on a guitar with a thinner neck, I'm much more fluid, can hear something in my head and play it instantly without even thinking about the fingering, etc. I can play something fine on the Les Paul if I've already worked it out, but to improvise, come up with new ideas, the R9 limits me. Anyone have this trouble, where you LOVE the sound a guitar, but you're a much more limited musician because of something like the neck shape,etc? Any suggestions?

2. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

Lessons. A teacher may be able to identify what you're doing differently between guitars and help you to compensate. That is, if you want to approach each one the same.

Personally, I play significantly better on my PRS vs my Telecaster because of the differences in neck shape. The Tele sounds and plays amazing in its own right, but because it's so different, I can't do some of the things I do on the PRS quite as fluidly. I've started tuning the Telecaster in Open-C to make those differences even more substantial, so my playing is unique to each one. In doing so, I think our originals are getting more original.

3. cardinal

cardinal Member

How do you grip the neck? I read a lot about folks complaining about necks are too thin, too fat, too wide, etc., and while I notice differences between necks, none if that really bugs me if I'm watching my form. I play with my thumb along the center of the neck and let it creep over the top only for big bends and wide vibrato. I notice that if I get sloppy and let my thumb wrap over the top all the time, I do start to have trouble with really thin or really fat necks (though for different reasons).

4. kracdown

kracdown Custom User Title Gold Supporting Member

Trade for an R0?

5. Evan_R

Evan_R Member

Necks are the number 1 thing I focus on when I check out new guitars. I had two G&L's years ago that were beautiful but the necks just always left my hand sore. I still don't know what it was about them because I can play comfortably on both thin and thick necks. Those two G&L necks are still a mystery to me.

6. 8len8

8len8 Member

G&L necks tend to be narrower than others. Maybe that's it.

7. Evan_R

Evan_R Member

Interesting, I thought it was really wide. And the carve just felt unnatural.

8. Elduderino73

Elduderino73 Member

Do you have tiny girl hands? Makes sense that a fat neck would give you problems if that's the case. At 6'-6" I have some ginormous hands and find a thin neck gives me cramps after one song. A fat neck is just what the doctor ordered for me.

When guitar shopping, the neck profile is a determining factor to me. All things being equal, it comes down to the neck profile. I try out as many guitars as possible with the neck profiles on the guitars I'm looking at and find one I like.

Once you find a neck profile you like, that's it.

9. axe4me

axe4me Member

If you can hear a song in your head, and if you are confident, you can play it on any guitar.
    Sounds easy, but it's not.
    I find that if I don't warm up (scales/runs/chord patterns), I'm pretty much playing my guitar with boxing gloves on.

10. Caribou

Caribou Silver Supporting Member

Your problem is the exact one I had with my Les Paul. I loved the way it sounded but could not get along with the 50's neck. My 335, with the slimmer neck, practically plays itself. I ended up selling the Les Paul, and don't regret it, but do miss the way it sounded. And the top on that guitar was beautiful flame.....

Sent using Forum Runner

11. o0Ampy0o

o0Ampy0o Member

Did you play the guitar before buying it?

I have not found a PRS I can play because of the neck, nice looking though.

I don't know what that model of LP feels like but I am usually at home with Les Pauls while many other guitars are all over the map.

12. muzishun

muzishun Member

Tiny girl hands? Pretty rude.

13. stratter

stratter Member

The neck width contributes greatly to the tone, but if you want the same feel in weight and such, and you're gonna get rid of it, sand down the neck profile. If you don't feel comfortable possibly breaking a truss rod, find a luthier.

Hope I helped.

14. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub Silver Supporting Member

I love big thick necks. I also love flat shredder necks. I prefer a certain style of neck, but I've never been outright bothered by one or another. That could just because I'm old and have owned a lot of guitars I guess.

Oddly enough, my least favorite neck profile these days is on vintage Guilds. That's odd because my only guitar for over 20 years was a vintage Guild.

15. custom53

custom53 Member

I don't like the '50s "baseball bat" necks and I don't really care for the '60s thin necks. The '59 neck, for me anyway, seems like the perfect size neck..