Do you have to use a house rig live?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by thebigcheese, Feb 7, 2015.

1. thebigcheese

thebigcheese Member

After taking a beating in the effects forum for accidental trolling (I wasn't, I swear!), thought I'd take a little poll about a question that thread brought up.

When you go out to a gig, are you using a house amp or your own gear?

The reason I ask is that I live in the DC area and I have never played a gig anywhere in the city (or outside it, for that matter) where there has even been a house rig. I have always been expected to bring my own gear, which is fine by me. Apparently this is not the case everywhere. So it would be nice if everyone could post where they live (well, what city, please don't post your address on a forum) and what the situation is there. Should be interesting to see how different areas work.

2. Jazzydave

Jazzydave Seeker Silver Supporting Member

The overwhelming majority of the time, I use all my own gear, including the sound setup. I typically use the house gear if it's 300+ in attendance since I don't currently have a system to carry that much sound, although I have in the past.

Also, all of my gear is optimized to work together.

3. SackvilleDan

SackvilleDan Member

Woops, voted before I read the OP... I was referring to PA support when gigging.

I always use my own amps for guitar and bass. Acoustic/piezo instruments going into the PA are usually run through my own DIs as well, but that's because they're already on my board.

4. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Tampa/St. Pete area. We use our own PA about 80% of the time. Unless it's a big multi-band thing where a back line is provided, I always use my own amp. Other than open mics, I don't know any clubs that provide amps. Even if they did, I wouldn't want to use them.

5. stevel

stevel Member

I can count the number of gigs I've played on one hand that used a house rig. And I'd say most or even all of those were festival type events where backline was provided.

But for clubs here in my neck of the woods, you bring everything. There's rarely even a stage, so there's definitely not any PA nor any house rigs.

I know a couple of venues with PA (and soundmen) but none that provides either backline gear or has a house guitar rig.

My stuff stays in the trunk of the car and goes to every gig with me.

6. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

Almost always use my gear.

7. jrjones

jrjones Member

Western Arkansas. Carry my own gear. Never had anyone argue. If im using a back line, I want at least a little say in what's going to be there. Not that Id expect them to rent a matchless, but don't give me a twin.

8. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Member

Depends on the gig and the venue. I've done both.

9. AXEnGEAR4J

AXEnGEAR4J Supporting Member

A lot of our local venues require you to use their house PA gear. Compared to several decades ago a lot of the little combo amps just cant keep up with the bass or drummer so it has to be made up with a PA and not always is the band set up for the correct mix to the different venues they play

10. 335guy

335guy Member

It depends on the gig and the venue. Here in the SF Bay area, some venues have their own PA, which is sometimes very good, and sometimes not very good. If the venue has it's own PA, our band, and the bands that perform there, most often use the house PA.

As far as my personal guitar gear, most of the time, I use my own amp/s. But at some jams and most festival gigs, there's a backline provided that everyone is expected to use. I prefer using my own guitar amp, because I know how it sounds and I am used to it. Often, the backline gear is pretty crappy and sometimes not fully functional. I played a blues festival last summer where there were two older Twin Reverbs. Neither worked right and sounded horrid.

11. thebigcheese

thebigcheese Member

Just to be clear, I am primarily interested in whether you get to use your own guitar amps or not. I've played only a couple gigs where they didn't have a PA, but I wasn't even aware people weren't allowed to use their own guitar amps at gigs until recently. Don't forget to post location! I want to see how it varies by locality.

12. Cottage

Cottage Member

Always my prefer my own amp. Except the festival scenario where using the backline helps for quick changes. God, I haven't played gig where sound wasn't provided in ages. All the clubs in my neck of the woods have p.a. and usually, a sound guy.

13. Average Joe

Average Joe Member

House PA, my own amp. Exceptions are if there is a house sound man who insists on the house amp or if it is a multi band lineup that require short setup/break down times.