Do you have "your own tone"?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by doc, Mar 29, 2020.

1. doc

doc Member

Some players have an easily recognizable sound, you know who it is within seconds. A few come to mind immediately - Brian May, Dime, EVH, Santana. In those (and numerous other) cases it has some to do with both the player and the equipment selection. There are lots of people who have a very similar sound to others - for example if you played metal in the 90s you probably used EMGs into Mesas with a similar style to lots of other people. I think there can be advantages and disadvantages to having a recognizable sound and not sounding like others - for instance if you're in a cover band you really may be better off to cop the sound of whoever you're covering for the most part, and there are usually reasons certain setups tend to become favorites.

Anyway, I have certain setups I gravitate to that I feel are sort of unusual and not something I hear from others, and I have others that are more "standardized" and allow me to get a more usual range of sounds. Is your sound very distinctive for some reason, or more "standardized"?

Billy Van Beck likes this.
  2. jgraham

jgraham Member

Generally, given a solidbody with a humbucker style guitar, I feel like I sound pretty much the same regardless of the amp I'm playing through. Mesa/Marshall/Bogner/EVH, whatever. I can plug in right after someone else and to me it won't sound like whatever they were doing - it sounds like me. Not that it's a plus - I often feel I'm chasing something I can't quite nail. So... maybe?

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
    DV52, sjruvolo and shupe13 like this.
  3. gunslinger

gunslinger Member

Sort of. If I posted clips I'd be interested in who people thought I sounded like.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  4. Bluzeboy

Bluzeboy Gold Supporting Member

I sound exactly like me, call it whatever you want tone,touch,note choice,etc.

5. handtrix

handtrix Member

Not necessarily tone, but voice. Generally, it has most always been a combination of Fender and Gibson guitars with Marshall an Fender amps.
    Tony Toan Tones for daze and days.

Rhythm Rocker likes this.
  6. Urobouros

Urobouros Supporting Member

I definitely think so but I don't know that others would agree. Other than the severely low quality :anon:aok

DV52, JWDubois, jgraham and 1 other person like this.
  7. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

I do, in the sense that I know what I want to sound like, and don't particularly care to mimic anyone else. But there's still a difference between instruments and different effects.

8. MkIII Renegade

MkIII Renegade Member

Hiding from Murder Hornets in Atlanta, GA
    Yeah, basically a Superstrat straight into a Mesa Mark, but with my hands. ;)

JohnnyBGoode likes this.
  9. Surfreak

Surfreak Member

Well, tone is always a combination of the gear you use and your playing. Your attack, touch, pick angle, finger pressure, vibrato etc., are all part of your tone.

So I would say that every player has his own tone.

BerkeleyJones, jrjones, rizla and 2 others like this.
  10. homeunit

homeunit Supporting Member

I sound like me with what I write and how I play it. Gears just the very important tools to get the sound I want out of me.

11. MESA/BUDDA

MESA/BUDDA Member

For me it's not so much even about the gear I use, because whatever I play through I always sound like a cross between James Hetfield and Billy Gibbons...

Nyarlathotep and WordMan like this.
  12. Howzaboppin

Howzaboppin Member

13. Average Joe

Average Joe Member

Yes and no. It depends. If I'm playing in a top 40/cover band I try to fit into the genres. I'm not completely obsessed about getting the sounds on the records but I bend to my perception of the needs of the song.

If I'm in a setting where more of a personal identity is called for, playing in a jazz or blues seting for instance, yeah I have a sound that's mine

jamester and jrjones like this.
  14. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

If I'm dialing in my tone for my stuff, I do. It's medium gain, but not bright nor mid forward, kinda a big, soft tone. Easy on the ears, but felt in the chest.

jnovac1 likes this.
  15. Dashface

Dashface Member

I find I basically always sound the same. Doesn’t matter what guitar, etc. It just reinforces the whole idea that tone is in the fingers. It’s, as our good friend Clapton would say, in the way that you use it :D

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
    MkIII Renegade likes this.
  16. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

For the most part yes, all though I find it gets divided up over varying levels of gain. I find the biggest thing that changes between different amps is how it feels under the hands. The dynamics plays a huge role and changes how I play completely and the EQ can have a big impact as well. All of this of course results in different tone(s).

JWDubois likes this.
  17. Jazzandmore

Jazzandmore Gold Supporting Member

For me I think my tone is generally distinctive because my favorite guitarists sound so different and for many years I had no idea what gear they were using.

I definitely have a few pieces of gear that I found out can be dialed in to get someone else's tone. But the guitars I play 95% of the time are custom and don't have any relationship to my favorite guitarists. Add to that the amps I use and the pedals I use and there is nothing "classic" in my gear or related to my favorite players. Even though I have a few signature models, I have changed the pickups on several to get away from having a copy of that players tone.

18. monwobobbo

monwobobbo Member

do i have my own tone? yes. will i be bragging about it or see a bunch of threads her on how to get my tone probably not. i have tended to dial in my amps to a similar sound for years now. i kind of know what i want and what works for me. rarely have i tried to copy a famous players tone as that just never seems to work. i do take bits and pieces though and incorporate them into my tone. a guy that learned from many years ago told me something that has always stuck with me. he said no one ever got famous by sounding and playing like everyone else. when you think about it he was right. with that in mind i have always strived to have my own tone and playing style. whether either is any good is another story. :rolleyes:

19. nl128

nl128 Silver Supporting Member

this thread reminded of a Tom bukavac video I just watched

20. EasTXan

EasTXan Member

Yes, my suck comes through loud and clear no matter what I'm playing through.

Cousin, DV52, Axe Arsenal and 6 others like this.