Do you have "your own tone"?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by doc, Mar 29, 2020.

1. frijoleghost

frijoleghost Supporting Member

i certainly don't have somebody else's

bettset likes this.
  2. doc

doc Member

I'm kinda with rhinocaster to some degree. I find it fairly rare to run across a player who has a very distinctive tone, and somewhat unusual to hear a style that isn't at least heavily derivative of someone else. I've come up with a couple of combinations of gear that create sounds I like and feel are somewhat distinctive, but I don't use them most of the time, opting instead to use more "classic" sounds. My style I think has potential to be somewhat original, but at my current level of playing its very derived from others. At least one of the drummers I play with says he likes playing with me because my lead stuff in his opinion tends to be more interesting and melodic than some of the other guys he's played with. Its interesting how often we try to "nail the tone" of so and so, and how rarely we try to create something noticeably different.

rhinocaster likes this.
  3. nowhere

nowhere Member

Yes, I do. Whether that's a good or bad thing in my case is debatable.

4. bettset

bettset Member

i'm pretty sure what i have is mine. sure, carlos is an inspiration, i may be in the neighborhood with the tone, and if he played thru my stuff he'd sound like himself.....not like me :munch

5. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

That is substantially the sound of electric guitar. It works.
    The only trick is to not screw it up.
    If it sounds bad, it is bad.:D

6. Robot B9

Robot B9 Member

Doesn’t anyone that plays their own music and not covers have their own tone?

7. twotone

twotone Member

I'm fussy about speakers. Celestion or nothing. :D

8. Fishermike

Fishermike Member

Well, tone is in the fingers, and I have my own fingers...

9. doc

doc Member

I'd say if they use a "standard" setup, say a Les Paul into an overdriven Marshall, then not really. The tone would be a pretty routine (although admittedly great) sound. If they use maybe a vintage Guild into a Peavey Heritage combo with speakers switched to Eminence C. Rexes, probably so.

rhinocaster and Robot B9 like this.
  10. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

Why do you think that would make a difference?

11. StummerJoe

StummerJoe Gold Supporting Member

In my younger days it always bothered me that I could never sound like the players I admired. I could play the parts, but it never sounded like the "real" thing.
    I could use the exact same gear as (insert guitar hero) and it wouldn't matter.
    Now I see it as a strength, eve if still a little annoying in the far reaches of the back of my mind. And you don't want to go there!:nuts

12. JmpOne

JmpOne Member

I'd have to answer "no", playing your own music doesn't guarantee your have created a recognizable destinctive "tone" that becomes widely appreciated as yours.

However much you might hone your sounds to good effect until they're finely nuanced things of sonic delight, most people doing so are on well-travelled paths. The world isn't going to recognise your sound as yours, if you're another guitarist heavily in the vein of Jimi, Gilmour, May, Summers, The Edge (get a proper name mate! :)) ).

Morello got to the Whammy pedal early, he kinds of owns that, likewise Frampton with the talkbox maybe, whoever got a big hit with a guitar through a Leslie (was it Clapton or the Beatles?), or Vai and some of the LA session guys with the Eventide H3000. They found something new or unappreciated in a guitar context, it becomes "theirs". Page has a few better things than the violin bow, but it's "his" in historical significance, despite the guy from The Creation having got there first.

At least that's my way of looking at it, loads of people create "sounds" it becomes a benchmark, name checked "tone" when you make significant impact with it. Which is essentially when other guitarists seek to imitate it, or producers ask a session player for that [insert tone owner] thing.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
    rhinocaster likes this.
  13. jnovac1

jnovac1 Supporting Member

john cipollina. now that is a sound.

14. jwguitar

jwguitar Supporting Member

I think any serious musician who has been playing and diligently practicing for sometime has developed a musical finger print so to speak. It’s like you can tell your friend or family member’s hand writing from your own. That’s what makes art so interesting.

C-4 likes this.
  15. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Silver Supporting Member

My tone is 3d organic and
    Duper super delicious

DV52 likes this.
  16. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later
    Imho, everyone has their own sound due to how each of us play the guitar. It's like our fingerprints.
    While some sound closer to another's sound, it's still our own individual sound.

17. caledoneus

caledoneus Member

Honestly, IMO unless you are well known enough to be "known," I don't think it really matters. I'm a nobody, so I don't know that I would say I have "my tone".