Do you hide guitars from service workers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spi

This might be a funny question:
If you have somebody you don't know coming into your house to do some work, do you go out of your way to hide any valuable music gear ?

We have a termite guy coming to inspect the room where I keep my music gear. I feel like guitars are often targeted by thieves (not that they're super expensive or collectors items, but still). My initial instinct was to move all the guitars and amp out of the room. But then I decided not to... I figured it's not worth the effort, and I'd like to think I can trust people.

But then my wife also suggested I move the guitars--she actually had family members who had their house robbed by some mattress delivery people who scoped out the house, then returned to rob it, so she is nervous about it. At first I thought it was just me, but now I feel maybe the initial paranoia is more warranted.

Gibsonchild

No but I do hide anything firearm related. That seems to be the go to for thefts in my area.
My guns, guitars and computers all share the same room. And fortunately, I am a contractor, so it’s extremely rare for anybody to come to our house for service work. On the rare occasion that they do (HVAC and Comcast, mostly), they’re working in other areas of the house anyway.

C-4

If you have somebody you don't know coming into your house to do some work, do you go out of your way to hide any valuable music gear ?

We have a termite guy coming to inspect the room where I keep my music gear. I feel like guitars are often targeted by thieves (not that they're super expensive or collectors items, but still). My initial instinct was to move all the guitars and amp out of the room. But then I decided not to... I figured it's not worth the effort, and I'd like to think I can trust people.

But then my wife also suggested I move the guitars--she actually had family members who had their house robbed by some mattress delivery people who scoped out the house, then returned to rob it, so she is nervous about it. At first I thought it was just me, but now I feel maybe the initial paranoia is more warranted.

Not knowing who is coming into my home for service work, I put my gear out of sight. I have learned not to trust anyone whom I do not know, and this is just one way to ease my mine a bit.

smallbutmighty

Silver Supporting Member
Yes, whenever possible I take reasonable to measures to keep anyone from knowing I have a houseful of musical gear.

I have everything insured, and my recording equipment could be easily replaced.

My guitars, not so much. The dozen or so I have now are the distillation of decades of searching. I could easily buy another Les Paul....but it wouldn't replace my favorite Les Paul....the one it took years to find.

Brian N

Yes, I hide my gear. No way anyone I don't know is going to see any of it. I dont even sell gear out of my house. Once they know you own gear, you're a target. Too easy for someone to ask for the address and then never show up, giving the address to their buddy.

RRfireblade

No, it's not really possible. Too much stuff. But it's stays primarily in 1 room, so I keep that room closed if strangers are in the house.

Comprehensive insurance and a good security system. There is only so much you can do.

How do they know the mattress delivery guys were responsible? I will say service guys are definitely a different breed than delivery guys. Estimators even more so. I don't hide my guitars as I always go through service companies. If something suspect happens I call that company up. If they give me a hard time, then I will file the claim... I just hope if they steal something they steal all the guitars so paying my deductible is worth it.

amstrtatnut

I hide my good ones and leave out the cheapos. I have a room dont let service people into. I certainly dont keep my les paul in the living room when plummer comes to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Topics