Do you know immediately if an amp is right for you?

juxtapolice

I typically know right away now but a few had to click in context for me, particularly el84 vox types. Alone felt brash, in the mix it all made sense

bigtone23

It's really quick for me. I know if it's a consideration within 30 seconds. I'll know if it's a keeper/worth buying in another couple minutes.

Rotten

Gold Supporting Member
I know pretty quick if I like an amp, but it can be a long process to learn if it whether it ultimately stays. I own multiple guitars. Some don’t match well with certain amps. Also, my ears hear things differently at different times.

toughblues

I immediately know if an amp isn't for me but I'll read the manual if necessary because how the EQ/tone stack works is dependent on different factors.

To decide if an amp is for me I have to play it in a band context and factor in its features/how it can be integrated into my existing equipment or what it's able to replace.

Jim234

Virtually straight away. Made mistakes in the past. Fortunately you can send them back...

I guess I know what my tone stack needs to sound like. Dull or Bass Heavy amps don't sit well with me, even though in a bedroom they are fine. I think 'live playing' all the time, hence an amp has to be mid heavy or can be EQ'd that way with only subtle changes to the EQ.

Borealis

Gold Supporting Member
I know pretty quick if I like an amp, but it can be a long process to learn if it whether it ultimately stays. I own multiple guitars. Some don’t match well with certain amps. Also, my ears hear things differently at different times.
This is my experience as well. I need to hear a new amp with different cabs and guitars and at different volumes. My ears fatigue more rapidly than they used to, so I need some time to decide if it truly is a keeper.

I haven't bought an amp that was a complete miss in a long time - I know what I like and I do my homework before any purchase.

Flowergun

With the THR30, I was slightly disappointed at first. It took a bit of tweaking to get to where I wanted. But now though, I'm a huge fan of the amp. I play it more than my fancy tube amps. With the TMDR and the Big Trees, I was blown away immediately but that's also way easier to dial in so for me it depends on how "complicated" the amp is.

dronerstone

Once again, I can easily spot amps that I don't like, but to REALLY get close, I'll have to be able to turn it up to where it'll get much louder than bedroom volume levels...

I had an Ampeg GVT15H that sounded pretty nice at home, but I didn't like it the slightest bit when playing louder, no matter what cab I put it through.

Huge disappointment. -> Sold!

LaXu

If I can play it loud through a cab that is well suited for it then usually I can tell quickly. But I have sold plenty of amps I have liked simply because preferences or needs change. Or I find something I don't like about it over long term use, or it's too heavy to regularly lug around etc.

bigben55

This is true!

But anymore, i rarely even plug into amps i dont "think" will fit my style. Ive played enough and owned enough to pretty much know what im apt to like/dislike. Couple that with internet/youtube research and i generally dont waste time in the music stores. Every once in a while, ill try something(like the Katana) hoping to be surprised, to see what all the hype is all about. 9/10 times it just confirms what i already knew/thought.

No, but I know immediately when it's NOT for me.

bobcs71

I know immediately if it is right for me when I use in with a band or recording.

In a music store or at home I can't tell.

maxbrothman

I think it's pretty clear that the amp you get is the tone you want for whatever you are playing.

Don't be messing around trying to get Fender to do Marshall or EVH to be Mesa.

Don't even try to get a JCM from a Plexi or a Tweed tone from a Princeton.

Just get the one that everyone has used for that tone.

When you have finished doing all those, then go searching for an amp that you like best for yourself, but until then you are just trying to put square pegs in round holes by getting the wrong gear for the wrong job.

62Tele

Silver Supporting Member
I can tell in the first few notes if an amp is going to work for me. Or maybe more accurately, I can tell in the first few minutes if it has the tone I usually gravitate towards. When it's a departure, I might need to spend a little more time with it to see if it might make me do something different and if the "different" is something I can use.

In the end though, I pretty much sound like me no matter what I'm playing through, so I don't feel the need to waste a lot of time and money looking for one grail or one "secret sauce" after another.

kg*

Silver Supporting Member
Typically I can tell if I like an amp on the first day. Then I start to dislike them over time. It’s funny how one day an amp can sound so good and the next sound bad without changing anything. Maybe it’s mental.

Starfire4

i bought 2 used amps recently, and have concluded that i can't completely tell just from playing it in a store or in a stranger from craigslist's house. I'm never sure until i can get it home and spend some quality time with it, or use it in 'real life'

still, i guess it's better than buying blindly on the internet, which i have done once or twice but never again!

voodoosound

Funk & Grooven member
Gold Supporting Member
I can tell if an amp is going to do what I want it to in 30 seconds. It’s less about the notes beingplayed Through it than the setup of the amp. Kimock nailed it years ago. If you set up an amp right. Any amp. You’ll know if it’s for you from the first note or chord play through it. for me an amp has to not add its own voice to mine. Some of you will know what that means.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom