Do you know this chord!?

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by papersoul, Feb 16, 2009.

1. papersoul

papersoul Member

Hi guys! I am learning a song a friend wrote for our band and it is in drop D which really throws me off! I can't find myself around the board in drop D for some reason, throws me out of wack. Anyway, this chord is unrelated to drop D but he uses it. Open A, fret F at the 4th string 3rd fret and the Bb at the 3rd string 3rd fret. Anyone know what this is? It goes from a Bb to this chord.

I am also trying to find the key. The chords are the one above, Bb, Eb, F, G, and Ab. Odd, huh.

Can anyone help with that chord and the key? I need to write a lead for this but am struggling with the key unless it changes keys.

Thanks!

I think the key is Eb?

2. fish78

fish78 Member

Maybe its a "secret chord, that David played...."

3. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

How about Bbmaj7/D as a choice

4. dewey decibel

dewey decibel Member

we eat a lot of cheese and drink a lot of beer
    I think he's saying the low D isn't being played. I'd think of it as either an inversion of Bbmaj7 or Bbmaj7/F. Maybe even Fsus in terms of it's function, but of course hearing it in context might change that.

5. Sunil

Sunil Gold Supporting Member

Actually, a Dm6 chord is D-F-A-B, not Bb. The "6" in a m6 chord refers to a note that's a major 6th above the root in a minor triad, not the interval of a minor 6th. If there is a D in the chord, you could either call it Dm addb6, or Bbmaj7/D as Cliff mentioned. If there is no D, then it's a bit murky, and assigning a name to it would have more to do with where the chord is coming from and/or going to. I'd probably notate it as Bbmaj7 no 3rd (Bb, no D, F, A). No straightforward answer for this one.

-- Sunil

6. JonR

JonR Member

IMO, "Bb/A" is the best name for it. The "maj7" is not needed, and might imply the inclusion of a higher A.
    Of course (without a D), there's no 3rd...

The other chords - Bb, Eb, F, G, and Ab - suggests a mix of F major and F minor, but if the low D is used a lot, that makes it more of a D minor/D phrygian (even locrian) vibe. (The chord in question would also suggest a D minor key centre.)

A lot depends on (1) what the keynote FEELS like - what chord does the song end on? and (2) how long each of the above chords lasts: what are the primary chords? Can you post the sequence (with the beats per chord)?

Obviously you can put the chord roots together and get a scale: Eb F G Ab Bb = part of the Eb or Ab major scales (or C or F minor).
    Add the 5ths (Bb, C, D, Eb, F) it comes out as Eb major/C minor. (This is assuming the chords are all power chords...)
    That doesn't imply a key centre, but it does suggest a scale that might work on all the chords.
    Over a D key centre, that makes it (on the face of it) D locrian mode. A little unlikely, IMO, but possible.

...oops, that's ignoring the A root in the previously mentioned A and Bb/A chords... That points even more strongly to a D phrygian key centre, with the Ab as (presumably) a passing chord, or derived from a blues b5. Or maybe there's a key change in the middle of the song...

7. trazan

trazan Member

Yeah, Bb/A. The chord coming after this one is either a Bb or a G something? Just from the collection of chords, I'd guess the key is Bb, but it's impossible to say without the chord sequences, maybe even melody.

8. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

your exactly right

9. trazan

trazan Member

The thing is, the A is just a "movement", coming from Bb, and drop D people hardly ever use 3rds anyway :RoCkIn :)

10. papersoul

papersoul Member

Thanks guys! With all your genorous help, I am slowly getting a better grip on theory, soloing, etc. I am not a huge fan of drop D because it messes with my knowledge of the fretboard. Based on the chords, I thought this would be Eb. I was thinking of those chords as a scale and took those notes of the scale as Eb. However, I see what you all mean, it depends on the note order! I think I am slowly getting this.

Yes, so this is the original chord in question.

e-----x
    b-----x
    g-----3 Bb
    d-----3 F
    A-----0 A
    D-----x

One chord I forgot(D,A,D) played the bottom three strings together. Do you know this chord? Is this a D chord?

Thinking to myself, this is the main progression. Bb - Bb/A - Eb, Eb (D,A,D) - Eb - F, F - G - Ab.
    Then this is before the lead Ab - G -Ab - G - Ab - G.

There is a single note melody over the first progression and I think it is based on a D scale. Something like this F G C D Eb, F G C D Eb F G Eb G Eb F. Again this order is not exact for sure and it is hard to relate the melody.

Sorry I can't notate the rhyhtm or cadence of it all.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  11. trazan

trazan Member

So the the D is played after all? If so, the chord would rather be Bbmaj7/D or Dmin(b6). The key, from what I can hear and see, is Bb.

12. papersoul

papersoul Member

Nope, sorry, just changed it above.

13. Swain

Swain Member

I knew a Chord much like this one, once. But, that was a long time ago. And I'm still not ready to talk about it.

:)