Do you leave all the cables for playing gigs attached to your pedalboard?

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by IGuitUpIGuitDown, Apr 14, 2015.

1. IGuitUpIGuitDown

IGuitUpIGuitDown Member

Or do you break down all your cables, wrap them up, and store them in a different case?

2. IGuitUpIGuitDown

IGuitUpIGuitDown Member

I'm interested in hearing your methods for setting up very quickly at gigs.

3. JonR

JonR Member

Other. I don't have a pedal board. :)

4. bobgoblin

bobgoblin Supporting Member

Used to be, when I had a more complex rig (effects loops, midi, etc), I used a PedalSnake that stayed connected to the pedalboard all the time. Nowadays, I use a much less complicated rig - signal, channel switch, power - and everything still stays connected at the pedalboard.

Quick setup, in my experience, is as much about making sure to spend as much time packing up at the end of a gig as you did planning & detailing your rig in the first place...well, not literally. Lol

5. cram

cram Member

Audio In/Out are removed.
    Power is removed.

The loop/switch into and between each pedal stays intact.

6. ZeyerGTR

ZeyerGTR Supporting Member

This for me, too. I have a small, homemade board with a pedal power, nothing too complex.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
  7. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

I'm confused. Does this include or not include the pedal patch cords? Wasn't sure how to vote. :huh

I wrap up the in/out cords and put them into the outer pocket of my pedal board case, along with power strip and cable connecting head with cab.

8. SHOOTOUT!

SHOOTOUT! Member

Interesting question.

Never even considered that anyone would not disconnect the cables to and from their board before packing up.

However I can tell you that way back I was very naughty indeed and would fold to half, and fold to half again etc. then 'tie' the cables up! It was a guitar cable horror movie.

Ha ha!

Marc, Director
    SHOOTOUT! Guitar Cables, UK

Last edited: May 24, 2015
  9. jonnytexas

jonnytexas Supporting Member

Unplugging the pedals would negate the purpose of a board. I leave mine plugged in and throw my two cables in the pocket of my gig bag. Can set up and tune in about 2 minutes.

10. straightblues

straightblues Member

I pull them out unless we are doing a show with a very quick transition. Some shows I do have 10 minutes between bands.

11. chillybilly

chillybilly Member

If I left the cables attached I'd be sorting out the usual rat's nest each time.

The little patches and power connections stay.

I coil and velcro tie the cables but leave them in the case (bag) with the board so there are no bad surprises at gig time. Use color-coded electrical tape around the ends of the cables for quick ID/connection. I have a matching set of the same cables left at rehearsal space and at home. Redundant but saves me many headaches.

12. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Power, amp and guitar cable extend from the box.
    They are coiled together at the end and just dropped inside, not unplugged.
    Cover goes on the whole shebang. Done.

13. DNW

DNW Member

The pedalboard stays all plugged in, cables to and from go in the same case.

Same with the Axe-FX rig, the MFC and two exp pedals live in their pedalboard case ready to go... lid comes off, one MIDI cable, one guitar cable, one speaker cable, all into the front of the rack, done.

14. monty

monty Member

I leave them all plugged in and put the board into its case. The amp and guitar cables are far enough not to make a mess.

15. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

I only use patch cables. Amp and power cords are removed.

When I had my Kemper I had it all with no board or cables.
    My goal is to buy another Kemper asap. Unfortunately
    that may be a while.

16. DivineTones

DivineTones Member

Maybe the poll confused some folk, because it seems some are saying that they leave their patch cables in place, which was not the question. The question was about your in/out cables between the board and guitar/amp.

I personally can't see how someone could leave them all attached, then put the board in its case. I've never seen a board with enough room around the edges to allow 2-4, 1/4" jacks to extend off the edge while plopped it inside. Those, in turn, would have a chance to get destroyed between the pedal and case wall every time the board was tossed around.

17. Multicellular

Multicellular Supporting Member

Thought my approach was pretty standard.

Set up is under 2 minutes (yes we've timed ourselves)
    • take lid off pedalboard
    • 4 cable plug ins
      1. pedalboard in
      2. pedalboard out
      3. into guitar
      4. into amp
    • 2 power plugins

18. IGuitUpIGuitDown

IGuitUpIGuitDown Member

I'm thinking about keeping all of my amp/guitar cables coiled and leaving everything plugged in / inside the pedalboard soft case, or outside zippered compartment. As is, I have to pull everything out of an attaché case that holds various pedals, accessories. Thanks for all the responses so far.

19. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

The arrangement is such that all pedals and power supplies are fixed to a base board then a cover (like a box) is placed over everything with all connections remaining intact. A handle is attached to the box and one picks up the whole thing. Bigger and heavier than individually arranged pedals but FAR more convenient and quick.

20. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

It doesn't take long to connect 2 cables and a power line everything is in front of my amp. If I was using extra lines for effects loop send/return and stuff like that I'd buy a pedal snake.