• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Do you leave your good guitars out or do you case them after playing?

poppunk

I've seen a couple mentions of "lack of motivation because you don't see them" being the perceived reason putting them in cases all the time isn't happening. I think a couple people mentioned that, but that just seems like the laziest of ideas.

There's a whole spectrum of us. I don't know if my instruments are "good", I don't own that many and with the partscaster exception I paid between $800 and $1,300 for all of them (almost completely all used. I have two sets of guitars that are in different tunings for two different bands hanging on the wall. I also have two basses in two different tunings. And my daughter's guitars are hanging up there as well.

Sometimes I'll get a song idea, sometimes I'll just take a "guitar break" and bang something out, and usually I'm jumping between instruments for practice/recording.

I would waste so much time on a given day putting guitars in cases and taking them out. On top of that, TGP has taught me I'm supposed to religiously wash my hands before I consider touching the instrument. But what is the right order to do this? Once I †ouch the case my hands are now unclean. So do I sling on the guitar, walk it to the washing location, then wash?

We all have our different stuff going on, but I don't suffer from a lack of motivation. I really don't want to blow 10-20 minutes a day jockeying around with cases.

Also, I will lay my straight headstock guitars down straight on the stage sometimes. Fight me.

Holdsworth

So serious question to some of you guys leaving them out.

Do you really need to leave them out to get motivated to play your guitars?

Cuz it’s never been a problem for me to open a case and grab a guitar. I haven’t gigged in about 5 years either , but haven’t lost my motivation to play and get better.
I think they look beautiful and I like looking at beautiful things.

Fuelish1

Most of mine are uncased/unbagged ... have a busted POS acoustic in a case, I guess the rest are on a stand or on a bed or on a couch, within relatively easy reach

Newbee oldfart

Worlds longest running beginner guitarist.
Silver Supporting Member
So serious question to some of you guys leaving them out.

Do you really need to leave them out to get motivated to play your guitars?

Cuz it’s never been a problem for me to open a case and grab a guitar. I haven’t gigged in about 5 years either , but haven’t lost my motivation to play and get better.
Years ago , I always had a guitar at hand but later started casing them. I am going to start having at least one player at my fingertips again. In my own situation, when I see them its a stimulus response thing, I pick it up. I write the nucleus of most my songs in small bursts of creativity, not scheduled sittings. I learned this as a young man lifting weights at home. If I was stepping over a loaded barbell, I might just get frisky and crank out a few reps. Many times this led to a great workout. If I had to go get them and pile on plates etc. I could easily find a way to postpone it. Another point I have to agree with that many posters have mentioned. It makes me feel good when I walk up on a cool guitar. As many have said, life is short, enjoy them. as has been said, most our prized possessions end up in someone else's hands or in the junkyard. Im thinking about leaving more of them out.

Newbee oldfart

Silver Supporting Member
On the wall in my man cave.

I'm curious why some are so against hanging guitars on walls?
Ithink its because they think the environment will harm them. I guess thats what I am really curious about. Are they really perfectly fine out among the living. From this thread I believe they are.

green_henry

Gold Supporting Member
When we had kids and dogs, I would always return the guitars to their cases. Now that the kids are adults and the dogs have passed (sigh) and I'm working from home (office lease expired during COVID shutdown), I leave whatever I'm currently playing on a stand. I have 4 electrics at the moment, and only 1 of them is ever out at a time. My Guild D40 hangs on the wall, ready for action at all times.

Newbee oldfart

Silver Supporting Member
I case every guitar after playing. As a tech, I have seen too much UV damage to leave my guitars out all the time.
Im glad you responded as a tech. From a tech point of view, if Im not worried about UV, and the guitars seem to stay in tune after being left out, Doesn't that mean that they are not struggling with the environment?

Last edited:

BigDoug1053

Gold Supporting Member
I rotate mine in groups of 3-4 and leave them out for regu;ar practice for a couple of months. Then I rotate to a new group - usually a 7 string, a couple of 6 electrics and an acoustic. They stay our until I am ready to rotate. Here's my current active roster...

COYS

I've seen a couple mentions of "lack of motivation because you don't see them" being the perceived reason putting them in cases all the time isn't happening. I think a couple people mentioned that, but that just seems like the laziest of ideas.
I agree totally. It's on me to make sure I am playing and developing my craft. This isn't a leisurely activity for me, it's a serious pursuit. I take it seriously and carve out time each day to do it. I don't just keep guitars lying aorund so I grab them instead of remote controls. Whether it's in a case or hung up as gaudy wall art doesn't matter. Neither will stop me from spending the time I have set aside. :dunno

rumstove

My tele, SG, '90s Talman, and Guild acoustic all live in cases when not being played. All other guitars are out, either on stands or on a rack I built.

Sean6247

Im glad you responded as a tech. From a tech point of view, if Im not worried about UV, and the guitars seem to stay in tune after being left out, Doesn't that mean that they are not struggling with the environment?
If your guitars are at room temperature all the time, you have very little to be concerned about. The worst environmental factors for electric guitars are rapid temperature changes (like taking a guitar out of a trunk at 10*F into a 70* room) and long term UV exposure. Acoustics are more greatly impacted by humidity changes, and even then it is rapid and drastic changes which have the most impact.

The damage caused by long term UV exposure is brittle finish and faded colors.

Trending Topics