Do you like a Tele with a neck humbucker?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Kmaz, Jan 7, 2013.

1. tjmicsak

tjmicsak Member

For most situations I've found that having the option of both pickups in series and rolling back the tone gets me close enough without giving up having the single neck pickup still. That leaves all the other options still there.

2. nik

nik Member

My main solidbody guitar is a tele copy with a matched set of a PAF type humbucker in the neck and tele bridge pickup made by Fralin. The neck humbucker is splitable via a push/pull tone knob. Sounds great!

3. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Member

This one has a DiMarzio 36th anniversary. I like enough to play it a lot.

[​IMG]

4. Trandy

Trandy Supporting Member

Why yes....Duncan Jazz in the neck of this parts caster.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. custom53

custom53 Member

I do.. '52 Reissue.. Sorry, after re-reading it I see it said Neck Humbucker..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  6. mainsale

mainsale Member

I put a Fralin P-92 into the neck of a Tele and it is magic. The pickup is clear, articulate and eliminates the mud associated with Tele neck position. It's my favorite Tele!

[​IMG]

7. BEACHBUM

BEACHBUM Member

I bought this G&L Tribute at GC a couple of months ago and fully intended to replace the neck pick up with a "Seth Lover". But, after playing the "Paul Gagon" G&L made humbucker that came stock I'm not so sure. The Gagon has some impressive tone and balances with the bridge pup perfectly.

[​IMG]

8. McQuade

McQuade Member

I dream of a Tele Custom with 4 bolt neck, 3 brass saddle 50's style bridge, with a Lollar Regal HB in the Neck (10kish?) and a Don Mare 0038 11k Broadcaster bridge pickup. 50's wiring, 500k Vol and Tone for neck, 250k vol and tone for bridge.

9. SouthpawGuy

SouthpawGuy Member

Yes

[​IMG]

and yes.

[​IMG]

The Seth Lover balances perfectly with the bridge MFD, which is wound especially for the Bluesboy model.

Both pickups on together is really good, very musical.

10. Bruce Lychee

Bruce Lychee Member

Mine is on the way, but you can also split them with the push/pull:

[​IMG]

11. Brian Krashpad

Brian Krashpad Member

I have two. One with a Seymour Duncan mini in the neck (a Frankentele), w/regular 3-way switching, and a MIM Tele Special, with a full-size neckbucker and 5-way switching (the neckbucker can be split). They're both very cool alternatives for once you get a "regular" Tele and want to branch out. The 5-way switching with the Tele Special is very very versatile.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Beng2040

Beng2040 Supporting Member

Make that dream a reality! I have a build underway of a 70's thinline with a super thin nitro finish, original WRHB's, a Rutters 3-saddle bridge (like the GE Smith bridge) and larger frets. It's looking great so far...should be done soon.

13. K-Line

K-Line Vendor

Yes!

14. jetydosa

jetydosa Member

I played a Nash Tele recently that had reg Tele bridge and a Lollar Low-Wind Imperial in the neck, sounded GREAT. The output of the two was very balanced as well. I prefer it to reg Tele neck pup.

15. Gilwater

Gilwater Member

I recently got a '52 Hot rod tele. It has quickly become my #2; only being beat out by my custom shop LesPaul. I wanted that tele growl out of the bridge pup, but then I wanted to be able to go into smooth Gilmour/Bonamassa style solos with a neck humbucker. This guitar has worked out perfectly. Unless you're playing country....I strongly say "yes", got for the neck 'bucker. For the Hot Rod Tele, it has the Seymour Duncan mini humbucker, and I think it sounds great. It's not too dark or muddy. You can always adjust the tone knob if you want more jazzy tones. Be careful of your pots though. I'm pretty sure the Hot Rod uses 375K as a compromise between the usual 500K for buckers and 250K for tele single coils.

16. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

[​IMG]

Neck AND bridge humbucker please...

17. Bruce Lychee

Bruce Lychee Member

I ordered this Suhr that has the Suhr JST SSV and SSH+ humbuckers wired to a 3-way switch and a push/pull on the tone control to split both pickups. Seems like its going to be a great, versatile setup.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=M5V3v3ST2H0

18. Jven

Jven Supporting Member

My next tele-project will have a neck hum...

19. boldaslove1977

boldaslove1977 Silver Supporting Member

yup. my #1..... a michael tuttle 60's T. that's a dimarzio 36th anniversary PAF in the bridge.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  20. JKjr

JKjr Member

On a whim I threw a filtertron in the neck of my CV and it matches well and sounds great. Guess ya never can tell.