Do you like all your guitars to be setup/feel the same?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Jove, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Jove

Jove Member

Just interested in what everybody else prefers here.

My two main electric guitars have a huge difference in neck size, one being enormous, and one being quite thin. I've started to think about which qualities the neck of my next guitar will have and am starting to get worried about having guitars with drastically different necks. Should I be aiming for the same feel from all my guitars? (This is rhetorical...I know it is a personal preference.)

It's positive on a practical level, how sometimes in a 3 hour gig, my hand will cramp up from spending too much time on one neck, and switching over to the other provides relief because I'm using slightly different hand angle/muscles.

The way I see it is, different guitars are naturally going to feel and sound different. I think that is the point. So it feels good to pick up my tele with it's 1 inch neck after going from something paper thin because I play it differently. Same goes for the setup of the guitar itself. Some guitars may feel better with high action and some may feel better with it lower.

I'm wondering how much consistency plays a part in your guitar acquisitions? When you go shopping for a guitar, are you looking for something comfortable and familiar? Or looking for something very different from what you have? Or do you not care...and regardless of specs, if it speaks to you, you'll get it and adjust to the feel of that guitar?

Every now and then I hear comments like, "I'm a fat neck guy.." so would a person like that only be interested in a guitar if it had a fat neck?

J

2. raymeedc

raymeedc Member

I'm very picky about my neck profile choice. I always look to find a neck closest to what I consider to be my ideal. I usually have to, unfortunately, adapt to a degree.
    That being said, I usually string short scales with 11s & long scales with 10s on electrics, True Mediums on acoustics (E-B-E are Mediums, 13s, while the remaining strings are lights), with tension & action being as uniform as possible. After 47 years of playing experience, I know what I want & try to adhere to those parameters as faithfully as possible. I do, on occasion, step outside of these boundaries, but inevitably almost immediately return to the familiar & comfortable.

3. dspellman

dspellman Senior Member

Never really thought about using different hand angle/muscles as a relief. But no, most of my guitars were chosen because of sound and feel. Thus most of the necks tend to be similar.

4. axe4me

axe4me Member

Most of my electric guitar are set up for low action.
    The exception is my Chandler LectraSlide.

5. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

No, I let the guitar dictate the setup. fenders usually get 11's and low/med action and gibsons get 10;s and lower action. I do my setups myself

6. bloozetubes

bloozetubes Member

only the two guitars i gig with

7. OM Flyer

OM Flyer Member

The last option describes me. I want and expect each guitar to feel unique, and while I have my neck-profile preferences, I've found that it's not at all hard to make the adjustment to others.

8. pb641

pb641 Member

As a hand size challenged 6' guy, I really need necks to be smaller and easy to play. Shape can be a very personal choice. I tend to go for PRS pattern thin and Fender C shapes, but I do have a V Neck Strat that is just outstanding. After a minute or so, I don't really notice the difference. As for string height, that just has to be consistent for me, low.

9. s2y

s2y Member

For the most part, yes. I just keep in mind that not all guitars can be set up the same.

10. rockonomics

rockonomics Member

Yup. My 2 main geetars have nearly identical necks and I set them up as close to the same as possible. They still feel a bit different.

11. BEACHBUM

BEACHBUM Member

Not really. It depends on the guitar and the style I play on it. I do like a fairly low action but what I don't like is super low and slinky. The guitar needs to fight back a little to get some character out of it. I don't give a crap about neck profiles at all. If you've got 14 guitars you have to give up worrying about that.

12. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

I like the action as low as I can get it without encountering fret buzz on each guitar.

13. Liquid_Mojo

Liquid_Mojo Supporting Member

My guitars necks are all different sizes. I can adjust as long as the neck isn't really chunky. They're all setup with low action. 11's on my Gibsons, and 10's on my Strats. As long as the guitar sounds good, and it's comfortable to not get fatigue in my playing hand, then it's all good.

14. thisHEREgiraffe

thisHEREgiraffe Member

My guitar setups are dictated by the guitar. If all my guitars felt and played the same what is the point of having more than one guitar? :huh

15. thesjkexperienc

thesjkexperienc ^^^ I made this guitar^^^

They are all pretty close to the same at 7/64" bass side and 6/64"+ on the treble side. This is about the same on my acoustics though I have one or two acoustics I still need to raise to that level.

16. GulfportBound

GulfportBound Member

Likewise. I have two Les Pauls with bat necks and one with a slim neck. I get them all set up with low action, though each one's bridge height is very slightly different. It's been working great so far . . .

17. cratz2

cratz2 Member

Almost, but not quite. I mostly play strats and I prefer those with roundwounds to have the lowest action with no buzz that can be heard through the amp. With flats, I like them to ring out loud with no remote hint of buzz at all.

I usually set them up the same way... but with the roundwounds, I leave them like that. With the flats, once they are setup normally, I raise each string about 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn on each saddle.

18. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

I like 'em all as close as possible. Slight differences don't bother me but I don't want them all over the map either.

19. Stringrazor

Stringrazor Member

I don't own two of the same kind of guitar. Each of my instruments has its own unique feel and I set them up based on that feel. The neck profiles vary wildly, from a thin maple board Strat to a thick 50's LP profile, with a Gretsch shallow v thrown in for good measure. I find my hand adjusts quickly to the different shapes and I enjoy the variety. I've gigged with every one of them.

20. Totally Bored

Totally Bored Member

I like strings high. I'm like the opposite of everyone I guess :dunno I feel like I can dig in more when they are high. :dude Better for solo's with lots of nasty bends.

I used to measure with a ruler but now I just eye and feel the height.