Do you like jam sessions?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Flugel, Apr 6, 2015.

1. Flugel

Flugel Member

I love 20 minutes long pentatonic solos noodling over one chord.

/Ironic mode off.

2. fezz parka

fezz parka Member

I love sitting in and playing stuff I've never played before with players who can play. :D

3. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Are you willing to accept personal responsibility for choosing the wrong sessions or is it all everyone else's fault?

4. Axis29

Axis29 Supporting Member

I'll be hosting one tomorrow night at a local venue that has two and three jams a week. There won't be a single song like that...

I'll be challenged by several of the musicians and songs played, there will be some great Blues with some sprinklings of other stuff. And, in the end I'll go home exhausted, excited and motivated to go make more music!

So, yeah, I love jam sessions!

5. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

Jams... ya got a love them.
    -Everyone plays the same simple songs from week to week 'cause it's too hard to learn complicated songs on stage.
    -Your normal amp that's on 3 at the gig cant be heard on 6 at the jam.
    - The bass player you get assigned to play with doesn't understand what "go to the 4" means....

Still.... we love to jam, and every once in a great while something cool comes together...

6. josh_michael

josh_michael Member

Jam sessions? Love them. But not pentatonic noodling ;)

7. axe4me

axe4me Member

Yes & no.

I'm forming a cover band and we auditioned another guitarist/vocalist.
    He wanted to do a blues jam before we got into the cover material.
    He wanted A minor blues 1-4-5 pattern.
    Oh man................here we go.
    Boring playing by this guy but he did some playing.
    I guess he didn't get enough dust off because I had to show him the chords and arrangement on the 5 of the 15 cover songs he was supposed to learn for this audition. He had 2 weeks to get any 5 of the 15 tunes together.

I'm far from Mark Knopfler or Steve Morse but Holy Jesus.......I had to show this guy basic fingerings. It was an abortion.
    BTW, this guy was recommended by another musician who told me that this guitar player practices 5 hours a day.
    I was expecting Al DiMeola.
    He later apologized. He said he was not prepared.
    Next.

So, jams are OK.
    I think.

8. 8len8

8len8 Member

What's this have to do with guitars??

9. gulliver

gulliver Member

[​IMG]

10. Elduderino73

Elduderino73 Member

Free form Spinal Tap jazz jam sessions?

Seriously though, I love a good blues jam.

11. rickcard71

rickcard71 Member

Depends on the players involved.

12. mxvin

mxvin Member

"JAMS" with the right people are great. I improvise way better then I can copy a someone else's solo note for note. If you cant make a I,IV,V progression interesting then IMO you cant "jam" that well. Some of the most iconic blues songs, performances, solos, etc are formed around that progression

13. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Supporting Member

I love ham sessions. Grilled, smoked, you name it. I'm always down to sesh some ham!

14. iluvfender

iluvfender Member

Love jam sessions. Ones we have...... 2 rules. Bring your own gear and leave the ego at home. Sometimes an awesome groove gets going and it's a lot of fun . Everyone gets their turn to shine

15. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

I've been to some great ones, and I've been to some bad ones. Mostly in between, enough on the good side that I keep going.

But even the worst jam I've been to never had anyone noodling over one chord for twenty minutes, pentatonically or otherwise.

16. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

17. metropolis_4

metropolis_4 Member

I hate anything as limited as a 'blues jam', but I have had the amazing opportunity to jam with some really amazing musicians, and those have been some of the best moments of my musical life. When you jam with guys who know what they're doing, who can follow each other, feel the changes, push the song in new directions, find grooves, find new keys, etc. it's a really magical thing to be a part of :)

18. straycat113

straycat113 Member

I love jam sessions especially when it is the rare occasion I get to play with friends I have played with 30 years ago. At those ones it is myself and a good friend on guitar and we both have always had a healthy and fun competitive nature of out doing the other lol. Most of the songs I have written came from jams like that with three of the same players and we all have recordings through the years of those get togethers. The last band I was asked to join came when a friend asked me to come down and play a week in the studio with them but I declined because I was 40 and they were all in their late 20's. As for the OP's style of jamming a static one chord 20 minute jam would be a bit too tedious and boring for me and when it comes to Blues which I love I much prefer soloing over an 8 bar progression then a 12, especially if it has a diminished chord in it and then of course a couple of good hard rock tunes. It is great to always have some recording device running, as when something really cool comes out on the fly either from you or someone else, or everyone is just on fire it is not lost or forgotten=Jam Away!

19. Stratburst70

Stratburst70 Member

Jams are awesome . . . with the right musicians. It's like any conversation: you gravitate towards those who know how to listen, and who have something meaningful to say, and steer clear of the loudmouths.

20. shane88

shane88 Member

no fn way

exceptions = working on an original song or auditions