Do you like light guitars?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by omfg51, Jan 25, 2012.

1. omfg51

omfg51 Member

Honestly, I don't. People say a lighter piece of wood is better for resonance and tone. I don't believe it. I think the resonance and tone come from how beefy (heavy) the wood is. Basically, more wood = more tone/resonance. I love a good, hefty beast that has some real density to it. Any guitar that feels heavy tends to just play and sound better to me.

Although, I know people don't want a bag of bricks around their neck when they're onstage for hours at a time and that is easy to understand. For me, it's a sacrifice gladly made. I like guitars to feel like if I hit someone with them, it would do some damage. Weird, but whenever I consider a guitar, I like to do a few practice swings just for fun (I'm crazy, I know).

What do you guys think?

2. Carbohydrates

Carbohydrates Member

I've owned dozens and dozens and dozens of guitars. I am fairly comfortable saying that IF there is a direct correlation between "resonance and tone" and the weight of a guitar, then it's not a very significant one, and I'm not convinced there is at all. I've played featherweight Groshes that sing and heavy-as-bricks LPs that sound thuddy and dull. Conversely, I've played crazy heavy Jazzmasters that sound phenomenal and lightweight strats with no resonance at all. My opinion? Take it on a case-by-case basis.

edit: My two best-sounding Les Pauls weighed 7.6lbs and 9.8lbs.

3. rockonomics

rockonomics Member

I prefer light guitars because the heavy ones wear out my shoulder by the end of the night. I've also seen LP's in the +8lb range that were dead.

4. ZZ Not

ZZ Not Member

I think you should have lived in the 70's when those theories were fashionable and everyone wanted 10 lb. Les Pauls and guitars with natural finish and brass hardware. Now those same people are much older and want the lighter = more resonance theory to hold true for them.

5. Lucky one

Lucky one Member

The lighter, the better for me.

6. m@2

m@2 Member

i think lighter guitars might resonate more in how they feel in my hands, but heavier guitars usually sustain more, and have beefier tones

7. gerryguitar

gerryguitar Member

I like light guitars.... that sound and play good..:rotflmao

8. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

9. OrganicTimbre

OrganicTimbre Member

Resonance and tone are two words that get misused a lot.

10. ES350

ES350 Member

I went that way for awhile and then realized that my better sounding guitars were all around a medium weight...within reason, light or heavy is not a deal breaker for me anymore.

11. Guitarworks

Guitarworks Member

I'll never be a "light is right" guy. To my mind, a solidbody should have some mass to it. I grew up thinking that serious guitars should have a little heft when you put them on. It's just a comfortable, familiar feeling that I associate with a guitar having substance. If a guitar is too light, it feels like a toy to me.

12. cowboytim

cowboytim Member

Right ON !! All good real experience so far off these posts.

13. NoahL

NoahL Member

i reckon there are a million tone-shaping features in wood besides simple weight. is it heavy because it's dense, oily, still green? i imagine a dry, dense wood is more resonant than a dense, oily wood. and i'm sure that every tree is different. didn't someone once theorize that the reasons stradavarius violins sound great is the particular water that nourished them -- it had some kind of special mineral content or something.

there's also the physics of wood vs. air. 335s are resonant in their own way despite being light. so is my alder-body partscaster strat, i think because it's 15 years old and had the poly stripped off it -- now it's just got some kind of brown tung oil on it, or something. great, great guitar.

i bet there are 10 factors that determine the resonance of wood, and if we nailed them down, someone would propose an additional 10. oh, and something tells me david grissom could strum a harmonica and make it resonant.

great question, though.

14. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

I like light Strats (7 lbs), and light Les Pauls (8 lbs). I've had two "fly weight" ( 6 lbs)guitars and they sounded too thin.

I have a spruce bodied strat at 6.50 lbs and it sounds HUGE, so not generalizing...

15. teleclem

teleclem Member

Yeahp. Lots of factors come into play in terms of tone. It's hard to accurately isolate weight.

I think anyone hit by a guitar (light or heavy) would get hurt though..

16. superrock

superrock Silver Supporting Member

my bad lower back does. conversely, my ears don't care what the axe weighs. my ears are closer to my brain, so they get their message there first, and my poor lumbar begs for quarter...

17. bloozetubes

bloozetubes Member

the lighter the guitar the better for me, and a nice big fat padded leather strap to distribute the weight on my 55 yr old shoulders

18. anuthabubba

anuthabubba Member

Please define light and heavy with regard to guitars.

19. KBR

KBR Member

I have had made hundreds, and the light one from 5 1/2 lb Hardtails, to 6 3/4 lb trem models & Mucho Teles, too. I like em around 6 even to 6 1/4 lbs...
    Get a big neck and great pickups, you'll never go back to a Boat Anchor axe.

20. tsar nicholas

tsar nicholas Member

I do. That's one of the many reasons I like my Gibson Tennessean -- balsa center block makes it WAY lighter than a 335.