1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Do You Like Outside Playing?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by ColorBlindJames, Apr 29, 2016.

1. ColorBlindJames

ColorBlindJames Supporting Member

I bought the latest Oz Noy album earlier this week and I've listened to it several times and, overall, I like about 95% of it. The 5% I don't like is the part in seemingly every song where, for several bars, he just rips off these long runs of outside playing that, while technically impressive, sound like chaos and nonsense.

99% of the song has a great groove and tasty playing, only to be interrupted by skronk and noise that comes out of left field and seems entirely out of place. I admit that it's a small thing and entirely personal, but I find it annoying and distracting and I have never understood the appeal of such playing.

Can someone clue me in on the purpose or appeal of this sort of thing? I'm more than willing to be corrected if I'm just some ignorant dilettante who has no idea what he's talking about. :confused:

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  2. iamdavea

iamdavea Silver Supporting Member

I'm not sure many people like "skronk and noise". I don't. I once asked Brett Stine, the incredible guitar player from the great Shrapnel band Haji's Kitchen, to explain if Allan Holdsworth's playing was more "in" or more "out" (because it sounds mostly "out" to me), and Brett politely said (this was on Facebook), "I'm afraid it would take too long to explain." Fair enough. I think Greg Howe does a GREAT job of "going out" and making it entirely musical, keeping it melodic, but adding that "spice" or "friction" element that can be so cool.

I don't think many people think he goes "out", but I've read a fair bit about Eric Johnson's poly-tonal approach to (mostly) pentatonic soloing, and it's always amazed me how he can flow through a few different key centers, in the same long line, and always sound "in". Because when I try it, it doesn't sound as coherent!

3. Chrome Dinette

Chrome Dinette Member

I have many records that folks on here might call "out" in their entirety. On the other hand, I like music that isn't out, as well.

4. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Supporting Member

I like it better on tonal instruments than on percussion. I can't tolerate nonrhythmic drumming. not even for a short while.

Phletch, Frankee and forgivenman like this.
  5. Chrome Dinette

Chrome Dinette Member

6. Carltone

Carltone Gold Supporting Member

It's kinda like sweet and salty together... Love it!

shaun_mac, deeohgee, derekd and 2 others like this.
  7. marvin cobain

marvin cobain Member

I don't think it's possible to generalize, outside playing can sound good, really good or awful exactly like the most simple pentatonic solo.
    I think I like it when I hear an idea and a logic behind, that's what makes the difference for me.

deeohgee and rumbletone like this.
  8. ethereal cereal

ethereal cereal Wave upon wave of demented avengers... Silver Supporting Member

I crave it. Henderson, Herring, Holdsworth, Ford, Carlton all masters of tension and release. Dig those hip lines!

9. gp81

gp81 Member

It is tension and release, a common musical practice used by great musicians for centuries. Oz Noy is a master of this, among the many other players listed in this thread. Broadening listening habits by listening to classical and jazz music is a great way to familiarize yourself with this.

10. freedom's door

freedom's door Member

I like it a lot, but it depends on how the player is doing it.
    Joe Diorio is the master IMO of outside playing that sounds perfect in the context of the improvisation.

11. slybird

slybird Member

I'm not sure I can say anything. I love listening to Merzbow, Nurse With Wound, and Throbbing Gristle just as much as Motown and Stax recording. That said, I'm pretty sure a Merzbow break would annoy me in the middle of a Otis Redding song.

weevilcaster likes this.
  12. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Member

Context.

Sometimes it's awesome, sometimes it isn't.

13. ripple

ripple To keep fresh, keep capped & cold. Silver Supporting Member

I'm like a housecat staring out the picture window... can't get outside to save my life, but it looks like so much fun.

14. cubistguitar

cubistguitar Member

Maybe some clarity is needed,
    some guys just blow noise, I like that when its done well
    some guys are immersive improvers that never come up for air, I like that done well too
    some guys are jazzers with some intense outside lines they practice a lot, I like that when done well
    some guys are Ornette Coleman

deeohgee, cabrato and Chrome Dinette like this.
  15. Eric Rowland

Eric Rowland Member

...done with taste and style and total mastery....

16. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

I dig a lot of outside playing and I love dissonance and atonality generally. It's all about context though and how it works in the piece. Coltrane did some pretty wild stuff on "A Love Supreme" -- pushed the limits of his instrument and tonality.

This is a good place for a rock guy to start getting some outside sounds:

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
    lestera34, cabrato, scr@tchy and 5 others like this.
  17. harry65

harry65 Member

I'm thinking you're probably an ignorant dillitante who has no idea what he's talking about:omg:thud:roll

18. jimmyj

jimmyj Member

Fifth House from "Coltrane Jazz" is probably my favorite Coltrane solo. You'll notice from the intro the bass and piano are just playing a pattern that includes the tonic and the fifth so you could play this as a straight as an early Santana solo on a latin beat or whatever you want. Coltrane does some exploring starting at about 40 seconds into the song.

19. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

That's awesome. I like the head on this one; a bit creepy -- has a Locrain sort of tonailty

jimmyj likes this.
  20. harmonicator

harmonicator Member

Yes, love it. Judicial taste is a requirement. Has to have melody. You can go "out" and still be melodic.

Some of my favorites include Joe Henderson, Chick Corea, Herbie Hancock, McCoy Tyner, Joe Diorio, Jaco, Scofield, Scott Henderson, Phil DeGruy.

I'm not interested in guys that completely abandon form, changes, repeated melody, groove, etc.