Do you like to readjust the bias on your tubes as they age?

EADGBE

Or do you just set them once and wait until you change tubes to adjust the bias again?

Mattbedrock

Gold Supporting Member
I probably should, but I dont. If it sounds good, I tend to leave them alone.

Maybe a bias day if I ever got a day off.

Steppin' Wolfe

Silver Supporting Member
I would suggest checking the bias after the first 24 hours of performance. As I understand it, they can drift until they are burned in. IF you buy 'burned in' tubes, that is of little concern. Then, you are concerned about mechanical vibrations causing some drift....small concern. IF I have an amp open for whatever reason, I check the bias as a routine thing.
Some amps, though, such as the SVT and the Sunn/Fender Bass amps that run very high voltages are more safely operated with a bias check whenever they are moved....and the test points and adjustments are on the back panel. .

VaughnC

Silver Supporting Member
If I perceive something sounding or feeling different than what I normally expect from my rig, the amp bias would probably be one of the first things I'd look at. Otherwise, I try to not over-think the hardware if I'm trying to play something musical for the listener...but if something sounds or feels "off" to me, it can be distracting even if the listener doesn't have a clue. Tube amps have their mood swings...nature of the beast...but it's worth it...I think ;).

swiveltung

I don't, unless I'm hearing something I don't like. When I bias my amps though, I leave them on quite a while, amazing how sometimes they change a bit after a long heat up.

dwoverdrive

Silver Supporting Member
Since I dont bias on my own and a tech does it, I just wait. I know most techs leave the tubes in there to drift before they are done with the job and that helps.

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
I'll rebias my amps after every 6 months of use.. I put a piece of blu painters tape on the chassis with the date on it for reference.... Almost always, after 6 months of band use with my EL34's, the bias is always higher and has to be lowered

EADGBE

I'll rebias my amps after every 6 months of use.. I put a piece of blu painters tape on the chassis with the date on it for reference.... Almost always, after 6 months of band use with my EL34's, the bias is always higher and has to be lowered
What's your favorite EL34s at this time?

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
What's your favorite EL34s at this time?
Having tried quite a few over the years, I like the Mullard reissues. They have a sweet midrange that's pleasing to my ears. Not really into NoS tubes or their prices....

Last edited:

Trending Topics