Do you like your coworkers?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Stratonator, May 1, 2016.

1. Stratonator

Stratonator Member

We don't choose our coworkers. I've had some strange ones, great ones, and ones that were jerks of the highest order.

The ones I have at the moment are nice people. The only thing is they're a bit bland. It's paradise compared to who worked in other places I've been to but I had at least a couple of fun and interesting coworkers in other places. Perfectly OK with forfeiting the interesting ones to not have to deal with any jerks. Works for me. :)

How do you like your coworkers and why? (queue replies from those who are self-employed) ;)

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  2. pjs ire

pjs ire Member

In a word: no.

3. rowdyyates

rowdyyates Supporting Member

Yes, very much. I hired them all ;)

4. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Supporting Member

There are only a small handful of people in the whole company I prefer to avoid. Apart from that we all get along great. My supervisor is a guy that was also my supervisor for a while at the last company where I worked, and if anything we're working together now better than ever. It doesn't hurt that I crack him up all the time. Actually that seems to go a long way with all the people I work with. Just be dependable and keep the mood up with some humor and people reciprocate.

5. GuitarGuy66

GuitarGuy66 Member

The guys on the floor are mostly pretty good. There's one guy who I bite my tongue around, a real know it all named Norm.

Or as we call him "Norm-it-all"

Trandy and Stratonator like this.
  6. Stratonator

Stratonator Member

I'm the exact same way and never had an issue until I ran into one thankfully now ex-coworker. Usually, even the jerks would come to appreciate my attitude and humor which would give me a little bit of relief from their attitude.

But this other guy was a genuine two-faced a-hole through and through. Happy to say I've never met anybody similar before or since. He'd treat me fine in meetings and fake laugh/smile and act all chummy. The moment we'd be out of the meeting or out of the boss' field of view, he'd go back to treating me with a giant FU attitude. First day, I was told to introduce myself which I did. When it came time to him, I walked up with a nice smile and enthusiastically told him that I was happy to meet him, looking forward to working with him and said I'm sure I'll need to pick his brain to get up to speed. Guy took an instant dislike to me and barely made eye contact. He wasn't the submissive type either. It was just his passive-aggressive way of telling me "I hate you." I had never encountered such openly demonstrated malice from somebody I had never met especially considering how upbeat and courteously I had presented myself.

He's still there, probably as much of a miserable sap as he was back then.

Fishyfishfish likes this.
  7. Noise Under The Floor

Noise Under The Floor Supporting Member

"In the drag of this atmosphere" (Maryland)
    I like some of them on a personal level, but when it comes to their work ethic and behavior at work, no. I'm the youngest person in my office at 44. The rest of them are in their 50's and seem to have trouble behaving like actual adults, whether it's being sniveling brats about actually doing their job, or just being completely unprofessional.

8. headpond

headpond Member

Started a new job almost 2 months ago, am surprised how everyone is cool and easy to get along with. Small group makes it like family, 6 of us techs, a dispatch lady, and the service manager. Most the crew has been working together for 6+ years, and ive been able to fit myself in. Oddly enough.

9. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

Some of them, but one of them that I work in close proximity to is the most irritating person on the planet.

10. sundog964

sundog964 Supporting Member

Half and half. Some are brilliant, some should be polishing shoes.

A colleague and I were giving a very technical presentation about fatigue methods in metals last week. Somebody came up with the bright idea to make it a worldwide online talk 2 days before we did it. Seriously, WTF were you thinking?

11. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

12. Matt Jones

Matt Jones Member

13. Totally Bored

Totally Bored Member

Work with mostly women. Some are great and some are very evil back stabbers that you keep your distance from at all times.:bonk

morlll and lefort_1 like this.
  14. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Member

I like just about everyone I work with. My company makes a concerted effort to hire friendly people with the goal being to have a "relatively jerk free environment." I've been there 12 years and still haven't found the jerk.

Unless.......

Peace,

Pixies2005 and A-Bone like this.
  15. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

Not always, but sometimes.

I've gone back to work in the same companies twice, in two different companies.
    In both cases, I already knew almost everyone there.
    In one case I was even able to choose the members of my team, and thus limited contact with the rest of the staff that I didn't care to deal with.

I'm also tougher on the guys who are lazy, so they try to stay away from me.

Once my boss even fired two of my subordinates after we had a few drinks & he asked me how to fix our problem.
    The next day the personnel manager came in & called the two bee itches into the conference room & fired them.

I was shocked, because I didn't really think it would happen. It wasn't easy to find a replacement, and the first one quit after the first day. I guess I was too hard on her.

So, I guess what I'm saying is, it was usually me everyone disliked, because I'm there to work, not make friends.

16. Jay Bones

Jay Bones Member

I generally can work well enough with just about everybody.

I'm not there to make friends, I'm there to do a job.

Now, would I hang out with all of them after work?
    Would I invite them to my wedding?
    Would I go to their parties, or invite them to mine?

Case by case basis, depends...

17. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Yep. Made some good friends at work.

lp_bruce likes this.
  18. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Member

Same here. I've got some great friends that I've met through work over they years. The guy who hired me in my present job (12 years ago) became a bandmate and we've been musical collaborators in some form or another for about ten years.

Peace,

Bluesful likes this.
  19. orourke

orourke Member

Yes, I love the people I work with.

I work in smallish (under 20 employees) semi-high-end hair salon. We've all been working together between 8 and 25 years. We see each other socially, help each other out with technical issues, call each other when someone is out sick and generally watch each other's backs. Some times I think it's weirdly insular, but it's a great place to work.

20. Brian D

Brian D Member

Agreed.

Last edited: May 2, 2016