Do you live in the future, or the past?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Rezin, Jul 1, 2019.

1. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

Homophones strike again.

michael razor and Mngwa like this.
  2. JCW308

JCW308 Supporting Member

I find myself dwelling on and missing the past all day long.

Mngwa likes this.
  3. pjs ire

pjs ire Member

The past is the realm of depression. The future is the realm of anxiety. We are better off to “be here now”.

4. Drew816

Drew816 Supporting Member

The present...

5. Sam Xavier

Sam Xavier Member

6. Sidney Vicious

Sidney Vicious Member

I am unfortunately burdened by the past - things I regret both trivial and profound - and worry about my son's future. Throw in my current work worries and I have a pretty full plate. :rotflmao
    I'll sleep when I'm dead.

michael razor, Mngwa and ShredSquatch like this.
  7. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Silver Supporting Member

Wherever I am I try to be there 100%. There is no past, there is no future, there is only now.

8. Mad Wombat

Mad Wombat Member

9. harmonicator

harmonicator Member

I try to plan things for the future, and I reflect on things that happened in the past. When I focus on something, I try to eliminate both and immerse myself in the present. Excessive regret about the past or worry about the future is where the problem lies, for me. Occasionally I know this will happen no matter what, so I just roll with it. I am getting better about spending less non-productive time in those mental places.

ShredSquatch likes this.
  10. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

While I, too, acknowledge and seek the psychological and social benefits of "Be Here Now," the fact is we humans evolved the brains we have to not just enable but biologically force us to live significantly also in the future and past.

Baxtercat likes this.
  11. Tiboy

Tiboy Member

I think there is a natural progression of life/thought for most. When young we seem to to look to the future and work towards our goals. In the middle of life we live in the present as we are too busy with life to look either forward or backward. In our later years we deal with the present and spend more time thinking of the past. The future often is a source of apprehension. Mortality and poor health (possibly financial security) move to the forefront of our thoughts. I know of no 70 year olds who wake up and think,”I can’t wait until I’m 90.”

12. Old Possum

Old Possum Member

My money lives in the past while my wanting things lives in the future.:eek:

13. fetishfrog

fetishfrog Member

That pretty much describes my 20s.

OP, I work pretty hard these days to avoid the trappings of nostalgia. In fact, I always have. It's good to be reflective to inform, but keep it in check.

I don't always do the above very well.

A-Bone likes this.
  14. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

We of course can only live in the present. Part of that present can be spent planning for the future and remembering the past, best done in healthy proportion.

You spent your whole life creating your past, why would you want to not think about it? it affects everything you are and do, including the way you approach the future. You learn from the good things, and you learn from the bad things.

I hope I never forget the five year old stevieboy. He was a character and I've always felt and maintained a direct connection to that little guy.

Mngwa and NtS like this.
  15. iGouger

iGouger Supporting Member

Don't worry about the future or dwell on the past; I'm totally living in the present and it's served me well.

16. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    A wise man once said you can do nothing about the past, you can do nothing about the future, the only thing you have some control over is how you react to your environment and situation in the present moment. It's the truth. :knitting

ShredSquatch likes this.
  17. Calebz

Calebz Member

I still have a whole bunch of crap to do. I figure I will finally be able to be finished with all the big stuff in my early 60s. Many of my larger projects are geared toward keeping me entertained and comfortable later.

I like a bit of nostalgia as much as the next guy, but I don't have much time for it.

18. Bob T.

Bob T. Member

I habitually live in the past; always reflecting on my mistakes and how if I had made different choices, somehow my life would be better.

Word to the wise: not a good way to live.

19. Teal_66

Teal_66 Member

I long for the days before the internet and smart phones. Those days were better.
    Now, people can't be away from their phones for more than 5 minutes, and kids are missing out on so much now.

Oh, and get off my lawn!!!

20. paulydangerous

paulydangerous Member

Wanna see me throw a football
    over that mountain ?