Do you Love or Hate the Fulltone Fulldrive 2 mosfet (or whatever version)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by it's been said, Jul 16, 2008.

How Do you Feel about The Fulltone Fulldrive 2 (any version)

1. Love it

2. Meh its okay

3. Dislike it

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. it's been said

it's been said Member

2. woude

woude Member

3. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

loved it at first, then I realized I thought the plain old TS08 was much nicer sounding and sweeter to my ears.

4. it's been said

it's been said Member

Do you think a good ts 808 clone like the one at general guitar gadgets with the "very expensive boutique mods" could compete or beat a fulldrive?

(open question)

5. vintage66

vintage66 Member

I love the comp-cut mode, especially with humbuckers. The fm mode is okay but I prefer my Maxon Od808. The vintage mode I find pretty useless. It stays on my board because of the comp-cut mode, which is mostly a boost, but a good one.

6. smogfalls

smogfalls Member

I used it for 2 years. (it was the first pedal with me latest amp = DRRI) But after a while I found it to sound a little sterile. It was only as I started to try more pedals that I realized what I'd been missing. Anyway, I overall it did me pretty well for those 2 years but I sold it and would never bother to get another one.

7. CarlosJesena

CarlosJesena Member

I really like this pedal actually. My friend lent it to me for a bit. I just could never really find where to put it in my tone pallete. I never really found a use for it in the stuff I play. Nice sounding pedal, though.

8. JZG

JZG Member

Great TS-type pedal. I've pretty much always kept an FD-2 around since I first got one around '99-00. I used one extensively up until a few years ago, but still own two of them (I've owned about every incarnation available). I definitley prefer the older orange and powder blue ones to the newer ones. Before the FM voicing and all the switches and stuff.

9. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

Still digging mine. I went to see a guitarist the other night and was thinking he had a real good tone. On break I walked by his pedalboard and sure enough there was a Fulldrive on it. I have the newer Mosfet but would like to A/B it with an older orange one. Which model has the alien heads drawn on the better units?

10. JZG

JZG Member

I think the alien head thing started when they went to the powder blue case. The very first one I owned had the alien head, and I think one that I have now has it too. I'll check my orange one as well.

11. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

you need a 4th choice, like it ... I like it, don't love it, have owned 4 and now have a MOSFET that I keep as a utility/backup OD ... the loss of bass is the major knock on them IMO.

12. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

13. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

Thanks. I do appreciate that as lately I have been somewhat intrigued with this alien head thing for some crazy reason.

14. this1smyne

this1smyne Member

i take it off my board all teh time cause i think its just 'eh' compared to my other overdrives, and it comes back with a bang as soon as i play a live gig. i was limited when i traveled to europe (thanks to scamming airlines) as to what pedals i could bring. my FD2 was my only drive. My only regret is that i sold my orange one a long time ago, i'd love to pick that up again.....

edit: my orange one had an alien head on it, and it was from 1996.... so scratch that blue powder coat theory

15. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Original voicing with a pull pot for the boost channel only (he didn't make many like this). Great pedal for solos.

16. Snap

Snap Member

I had the 10th anniversary mosfet for a while and it was ok, but nothing special enough to have a permanent place on my board.

17. trishoot

trishoot Gold Supporting Member

Love it! Not only is it a great sounding pedal, but it is built like a tank and has to be the best value for money in an OD pedal out there by a long shot.

18. dc_jcm800

dc_jcm800 Member

Stage volumes only!

19. hudpucker

hudpucker Supporting Member

I've never been as disappointed with a pedal as I was the FD2 MOSFET. Granted, I did have high expectations but I was positively underwhelmed. Sounded like....a wimpy Tube Screamer variant. Blech.

The guys in the band didn't care for it either, FWIW.

Obviously, YMMV.

20. TDJMB

TDJMB Gold Supporting Member

I had the FD2 MOSFET but couldn't get it to sound good. It was either too thin or too thick. So I sold it to a friend and it sounds fantastic in his rig.