Do you make some money with gigs?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Bubbledin, Jul 11, 2011.

1. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

Club gigs - $80 - $150/person. (Was more last year :().

Weddings and private/corporate parties - $200 - $400/person. This is trending up as we get more client references.

But I'm in Austin, which is a low-cost, low-pay part of the country. NY guys make a lot more for weddings.

And no, I don't invest it all back into gear. I also use some of it to buy food and other products required to live.

Joe

2. modulusman

modulusman Member

In my main band I average around $300.00 a night. I also have been playing as a sub in another band where I have averaged about $85.00 a night this year.

3. nofearfactor

nofearfactor Member

Most of the time. But I dont see any of it. The wife takes it.

I split my time between 2 bands- one plays local and close regional on the weekends that Im off from my main band, and my main band plays more regional and further shows. I also co-own an interest in a couple of tattoo shops and any profits I make from the shop after taxes I put in a fund to either put money into any new shop needs or into my music playing needs and whatever else I may need or want.

My wife conveniently is a corporate comptroller. She is also strict with money and keeps track of everything. Money made from my music playing and the tattoo shops goes on a ledger she uses to keep track to pay my taxes, my part of bills, and then the rest goes to an expense account she setup for me. I have a bank card she assigned to me for my expenses. The local band I spend a little here and there on band needs, the other band is self supporting. My expenses while out playing come from my expense account which also includes any rig and gear needs I might have. My amps, cabs, effects, rack gear, etc, dont change much but when I need something I get it and she keeps track of what I spent; when I buy guitars I sell off guitars to fund the next guitars which I usually buy used and then repair what needs repairing and mod to my preferences what it might need; tubes and speakers I buy up and keep stored; 9v batteries , picks, and strings,etc, I buy in bulk.

Im terrible with money and my wife is an expert so we work out great. She informed me that I spent $10k via PayPal on EBay purchases last year. WTF...

4. germs

germs Member

average pay for cover bands goes around $100/man. that's a good indicator for a bar band *slash* weekend warrior gig. i'm currently getting a tribute act going (slow process!) and pay is pretty skewed right now, but in the $50/man range for the first few months.

most original bands...i don't know anymore. i know what MY originals band is making for most shows, which is $100/hr/man. that's not GREAT money, but i work a day job and do what i love for fun and profit. plus, we've worked hard to get where we are, both on and off the stage.

it would seem there are no "younger" guys doing wedding and corporate gigs in the area. church/worship players either. all guys in the 40+ range. so, i'm sure there are people making more money, but not my peer group.

5. DeeDub

DeeDub Member

I probably average around $100.00 - $120.00 per gig. I have a few low key, very relaxed acoustic gigs that only pay $50.00.. but I also get fed, free drinks and only play for 2 hours. Plus, it's very close to home. I'd say over a month of gigs (8 - 14 gigs), I'm taking home in the $1100.00 range, +/- $100.00. Most of this gets used for gear or any other miscellaneous stuff.

6. oxtone

oxtone Member

I'm a hired gun in churches. The pay varies by the size and budget of the church, from $140/Sunday to $250. I've made up to $350 for one-off gigs at some churches for big events, like musical's with an orchestra.

7. poolshark

poolshark Supporting Member

I get paid in good times, pretty girls and actually enjoying what I do. Looking at the economics of the whole thing, there's little reason to do it any other way.

In other words, not a penny. :rotflmao

8. torgeot

torgeot Supporting Member

80-300 night. Varies, depends on location etc... I re-invest about 25% back into equipment, and do around 8-12 gigs month

9. Patrick Ginnaty

Patrick Ginnaty Member

Usually $100 each.

No, I don't buy more gear, I have plenty of gear.

10. mvd18969

mvd18969 Member

This is about the going rate in my area as well. Too many classic rock bands chasing too few gigs..

The band I'm currently in was a classic rock band w/ a great female vocalist when I first joined. Slowly making the change to more of a dance/party music band. Yes I miss the rock stuff, but love playing to nice crowds.

No revelation here, this has always been the case.

This will be my next move and I'm working on putting this together as well.

11. chinstrap

chinstrap Member

I booked bands thru a regional talent agency during the late 70's and early 80's. I had acts in my stable who drew well regionally, and I could get them $2500-$3000 for a weekend, flat $1800 for a one off Saturday club gig. Private parties and corporates obviously more- Most of these acts were four-five piece with a couple of crew guys, everyone carried their own sound and lights. I know the culture has changed, but with inflation it seems like the financial side has digressed. There also aren't nearly as many venues today in most areas, and most are 250 seats or less (in the day I wouldn't talk to a club that seated less than five hundred patrons).

12. Ampegasaur

Ampegasaur Member

Metal is mostly do it yourself type stuff. Usually a festival, or several bands on a bill, that the bands book. It is often a local hall, private property, Legion Halls. Mostly all ages, no liquor, no bars. I have made a few I thousand to a few hundred, depending on the bands playing and venue. When I am pushing hard, I could do about 6 months straight of shows every weekend, and just live on that. It also a LOT of work, and headaches. I am not always that motivated, so studio work, and commercials are a lot easier.

13. xjojox

xjojox Tardis-dwelling wanker Gold Supporting Member

The days of the big rock club seem to have gone the way of the dodo bird in most towns. The first big hit was disco... people paying good money to hear records. Then drinking ages started changing, cutting down on the percentage of people in the club who had no reason to get up in the morning and would stay till 2AM. So like many here, I find it curious and sad that gigs don't pay any more than the 70's and 80's. Throw in inflation and it's truly pathetic. Cover band bar gigs in San Antonio range from 300 to 500, a bit more in a few places that book traveling bands. Kind of a joke, and it means that the majority of the bands are weekend warriors.

Originals pay zip like everywhere else. Weddings and corporate obviously more, but I don't do that sort of thing.

14. joel98z

joel98z Member

My Band is in the DFW area. We get about 350 per gig from local bars, and have been paid as high as 600 by a local club.. We are your basic rock / classic rock and a little country thowrn in cover band.. Some clubs will also give a 100 tab as well..

15. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator de Emporio Staff Member

I'm lucky, in the sense that while I make $100 per night as part of a house cover band, and it's only two sets, from 7:30-10:00. It's nice getting home by 11:00 p.m., or being able to go out an enjoy the rest of the evening. With our other gigs (Weddings, Corporate Events, Private Parties), I get $300 for a 4 hr. gig.

I play about 60-70 dates a year, and place all the income into a Bank Account attached to a Debit Card, so I can make purchases for gear. I also put all income from selling gear into the account.

16. Rumblur

Rumblur Member

I've only been paid in hot dogs.

I wish I were kidding.....

17. paulscape

paulscape Member

I'm playing in shanghai. Make about $250 per man per show for 2-3 sets. We are a 3 piece. Free food and drink. I give half to my wife.

18. jwny72

jwny72 Member

I've made as much as $200 and as little as $20, for paying gigs. I've played for nothing just to play too. The stories in this thread about how it used to be and how it is now are sad, discouraging. Same fees, and a loaf of bread is 10 times more expensive.

19. Ephi82

Ephi82 Member

In the mid 90's, had a "mens bowling night" blues band, meaning four of us would get together once a weekto just to play. When we got to the point where we learned 3 sets of tunes, we went out and played small bars, just for fun. Most we made was $50 each and all the burgers and beers we could consume. The most fun I've had playing out.

When in college, late 78-82, had a five piece R&R band in a college town. Playing frats, sororities, college social events, spring concerts ets We made GREAT money for college kids, $1,200-$2,200 a night typically. This is how I paid my tuition and living expenses, along with other part time work.

It's really a shame how little bands are paid today

20. mvd18969

mvd18969 Member

Here's a different way to look at it......
    An old girlfriend of mine never quite got it why I played music and would just kind of sneer at the whole thing. She thought it was kind of a juvenile hobby. She also couldn't understand why I would want to rehearse/play gigs for so little money. One day she said to me, imagine how much money you would have if you worked even a minimum wage job for all the hours you put into band practice and gigs.........hmmmmm..