1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Do You Mark Your Pedals for Transport?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rhythmrocker, Sep 26, 2006.

1. rhythmrocker

rhythmrocker 1966 Battle of the Bands Supporting Member

Hi all - the last pedal board I had had a power supply, power strip, Ibanez TS-10, tuner, and Digital Delay. Easy to "re-adjust" on stage.

NOW - I have about 8 to 10 pedals that I am working towards getting on a pedal board.

Those of you with many pedals - do you mark them somehow so the settings are close to what you want them to be when you put your board onstage? Is there a way to do this without making a list, or without using whiteout to put dots on them - just in case the knobs get turned during transport?

Your ideas, if you please!

2. codeorama

codeorama Member

Masking tape. Very easy, non permanant.
    Just put a piece on the pedal and draw each knob on the tape with the correct setting.

3. evco

evco Member

Depending on the pedal I'll either cut off the sticky part of a post-it and draw the knobs as mentioned above, or use a tiny paint brush with some 'white-out' and put a small dot on the pedal where the dash on the knob points. You can easily scrape the white-out off with you fingernail if you want to remove it or change the position of the dot. It just flakes off, never had a difficult time removing it.

4. Option

Option Member

White grease pencil works.

5. Tonemeister69

Tonemeister69 Member

For me, it depends on the pedal. Some I like to mark as they are hard to see in some conditions.

6. subdude1

subdude1 Member

Here's a little trick I picked up from another forum....

Using a sheet of very thin craft foam (available just about anywhere), cut a circle the same size as the base of each pedal knob. (I pulled the knobs off and used them for template).

next, cut a hole in the center.

Slip this over the post of the pot.

Replace knob and make sure to push it down enough to make contact with the foam. Tighten the screw at this point. (some pedals/pots may require 2 or 3 foam disks).

This trick makes the knobs more difficult to inadvertantly move, plus they can still be tweeked if needed.

subdude

7. radcliff

radcliff Member

I try to get really familiar with my pedals, and check them to the room I'm playing during a quick soundcheck. Usually knobs need to slightly change depending on venue, it never stays constant.

8. g-nem

g-nem Member

Good tip, radcliff- my ts9's knobs are constantly accidentally tweaked- I'll try this. Thanks!

9. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Member

For some pedals with very distinct tones I use (usually poedals with very powerful, very sensitive controls like the BBD), I'll just go ahead and use a sharpie, maybe number the settings for each sound.

Brett

10. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I'm sure you know best what you need, as far as which pedals CAN be marked. Just wanted to point out that many pedals through the amp, react differently...I mean the Tone control on a tubescreamer-like pedal, at least in my experience is not a "set and forget" thing.

Things like speed probably remain constant, but Depth in things like vibes, choruses, modulation devices like that tend to need to be adjusted to the room (humidity, situation, whatever) as well as delay and reverb levels....

Seems like in my case, I'm adjusting those things differently every time to get "the same sound".

Which led me to another way of thinking. I noticed on some pedals, like for example the Fuzz factory and the Zendrive, lotsa folks posted on their reviews their favorite settings. If you draw circles for the knobs, and sort of "plot" all the settings it can get really interesting. In some pedals, with say four knobs...you already know the volume knob is often something you just have to set to the place, but the other three....often there will be a narrow range in all the favorite settings, and then a slightly larger one for others (with a few exceptions).

What I'm getting at is you end up (even if you just plot some of your own favorite settingS) with ranges of settings on a lot of knobs....say anywhere from 2-5 o'clock on some knob. I would think about shading (on masking tape) those areas...where the sweet spot(s) are usually in there somewhere.

I'm just saying, on some that can get good results in a range, I like to not make a pinpoint laser-like mark that is EXACTLY where I have to set the knob, but instead a shaded range area that the pedal usually sounds good with the other settings (which can be ranges too or ranges with some pinpoints outside the range).

Hope that's clear...it's morning here and I just got up..