• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Do you mingle.....?

Young John

When you're done gigging, or maybe between sets, do you hang out with the folks and mingle so to speak?
Me, I'm not much of a "mingler" for lack of a better word. I tend to wander off and have a smoke somewhere.

shredtrash

Gold Supporting Member
A little. Mostly, I just walk around and thank people for coming out. I keep it friendly but brief. My partner (acoustic duo) is much more social.

M

Member 995

Usually, as that's when I sell CDs. It seems like half the time it is guitarists who want to talk gear.

Noah

Silver Supporting Member
I always try to say thanks in-between sets. We get tips when we play so I make sure to note who came up and go say thanks in person If I can find them.
I also do lead vocals so I have to be careful about talking too much and too loudly or I can get hoarse.

27sauce

I do, I've made friends with some bartenders and regulars, do it's just natural now. I hang with the singer most of the time, and people come up to him constantly, so I get to meet some interesting folks.

We have hour long breaks between sets, so when I got the gig (4 years ago) I always imagined me spending my breaks in out green room, which is pretty nice. Well, the manager at the time hated us staying up there, he wanted us mingling. Well, he would turn the heat up in the green room and force is out. I just got used to it, I think in that time, I've spent maybe. 3 breaks up there.

gearmeup

I think is guitarist arnt much for talking, it's usually the bass player who is the mingler

snow and steel

Silver Supporting Member
I am always "accessible".

If people want to talk I'm easy to find and easy to talk to.

A lot of gigs as a hired sideman means I'm not a center of attention though. sometimes musicians might ask me about my gear, but if I get completely ignored that's cool too - I can check my phone messages my email, all kinds of stuff if not one is interested.

Seegs

All the time...I make myself available and make the rounds through the audience...then I'm talking to the staff...organizers and promotor...I front my own trio...

From load in to load out I am on the clock as repeat business is important to me...

Chow,
Seegs

Dexter.Sinister

Still breathing
Platinum Supporting Member
Yes. I try to spend time with all interested parties (audience, staff, management...).

Dumdeediddle

In younger days (when there was Gigs) I did a Duo with an older guy (keys) for 5 years. Started out in a Piano bar setting and was scared to death. After years of having the audience a ways away ,to have them 2-3 feet away was a challenge. Talk about learning how to entertain on the job.
I learned to really like it. Later ,I did a single for a few years and it was always hard to step down off that stage into a crowd ,so I learned how to walk right up to a Table and meet people. Was fun. Met a lot of great Folks & it really helps keep em' comin' Back.
In my later career have had to walk into companies & work with Strangers. That was good training.

zztomato

I used to but I just got tired of being clawed at and grabbed by the screaming hordes of women.

gmann

Not really. I don't really have that much to say to people I don't know. I'm fairly animated on stage but off, not really. I don't hide out or anything. People come up to me and I'm polite but not much more really.

Dr. Jimmy

I always do, I like to thank people for coming to see us, ask how it sounds etc... Plus I plug any upcoming shows we have and stuff like that.

Other guitarist slinks off to a table with his wife or any other friends of his that are there and stays until we start the next set. Bassist goes to his car and hangs out there. Singer just hangs out with her boyfriend....

Mickey Shane

apolitical
Silver Supporting Member
One thing that I hate to see is musicians rolling up cables as soon as the last song is over. We take 15 minutes to talk and thank people, then turn into roadies. I figure we actually pack up faster that way. Nothing worse than trying to pack and talk to people at the same time.

If I get the lone drunk wanting to tell me his life story while I'm packing up, I'll introduce him to another band mate. They hate me for that.

Matt L

Not much of a mingler, but I certainly don't hide or shy away. Our bandleader is the talker of the group, and he and the singer seem to do most of the schmoozing. I'm usually ready to load out asap.

Jim Soloway

Usually, as that's when I sell CDs. It seems like half the time it is guitarists who want to talk gear.
Most guitarists, especially the younger ones, won't talk to me at a gig. They're easy to spot. They scowl a lot and won't make eye contact with me. Occasionally some of the older ones want to know how I'm getting my tone and they'll ask about the gear. That was especially true when I was gigging with a modeler.

As for mingling, other than at guitar shows I'm terrible at it plus I don't drink or smoke (and I'm old and very married) so I tend to just keep playing as much as possible. It's not very good for business.

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom