Do you need reverb when you have delay?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jamison162, Sep 13, 2006.

1. jamison162

jamison162 Member

I hear a lot of clips, etc. that have a huge sound but sometimes I can't tell if it's reverb or delay. Can a good delay be set up to sound like reverb? So my questions is, do you need both? This will affect my amp purchase, and of course, pedal board setup.

Thanks

2. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

yes. To me theyre very different...So I NEED both. I cant play without atleast a bit of reverb...when Im playing clean.

3. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

I can do with a lot less reverb when I've got delay, but I like just a hint of reverb with everything. Or I'll just add a dash at mixdown.

4. OUTLAW1969

OUTLAW1969 Member

I just got a new Delay and have all but pulled all of the reverb out of my mix. I am much happier with the results of my new Delay and my tone is that much better because of it. I think I might have been over compensating for a lack of delay, by over doing the reverb. Haven't recorded without reverb yet, although it is totally out of my live mix, alot of times a touch of reverb is added at mixdown.

5. googoobaby

googoobaby Member

I just bought an amp with built-in delay as well as reverb. I find that I still prefer reverb on the clean channel, but that just slapback delay sounds better on the gain channel.

6. monkeyland

monkeyland Member

they kind of go hand in hand for me. i will say however that lately i've been using reverb even when the delay is off which is kind of different for me. i used to never use reverb at all, just lots of delay.

7. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Less reverb when using delay. Just a small bit.

8. Leader

Leader Member

I don't use the reverb on my amp I use rack gear for reverb and sometimes delay. I usually have the reverb on all the time for everything I play. For delay I either use rack or a pedal but I use both verb and delay at the same time.

9. Frethog

Frethog Member

I use both, and often at the same time, but It works best for me when I feature one or the other and not both simutaneously.

10. Todd Lynch

Todd Lynch Member

I have an amp (Crate V-Series VFX5212) with crappy sounding digital effects - Since I had the FX bypassed (by my amp tech), I no longer have any reverb - I only have a delay pedal on the floor, but would love to have some good 'verb. Recently, there was a thread about a new Marshall reverb pedal and I'd still like to know more about it's sonic quality.

11. what?

what? Member

After using delay for quite sometimes due to my reverbless new amp, I got used to it and just got a verbzilla and prefered delay for my ambient sound. I think my playing had changed and adapted to dry sound more...

12. marklyn

marklyn Member

I find myself playing with less and less reverb lately, but I still like some. When the delay comes on, I leave the reverb on also, I really like the 2 of them together. It seems like I've been using the delay alot less also, but that may be a function of where it sits in the band more than what it does to the tone.

13. Enjoyer

Enjoyer Member

Well said!
    Precisely my sentiments and my practice.

14. jamison162

jamison162 Member

Dude, you can't make statements like that and not give up the goods!
    Are you embarrassed, is it a DD-20 or something? (Don't knock it until you've tried it.) Hehehe.

15. OUTLAW1969

OUTLAW1969 Member

:rotflmao Nah, it is just an old TC Electronics rack mounted delay, nothing special. I was commenting on my overuse of reverb, to compensate for lack of delay in the mix. That was just my own stupidity, lol , kinda like putting more salt on a steak because it is "missing something".

16. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

IMHO, no. I have a nice warm delay that I like and I haven't missed reverb at all since. Unless you're doing surf...

17. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

I have a Diamond Memory Lane and a T-Rex Replica, so I honestly don't feel the need for reverb, especially when playing in a full band mix.

18. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

Both together, most often, not too heavy on the reverb. My delay is the AD 999. With pre-reverb amps, reverb is an outboard Fender tank. Some of these oldies (like the Gibson GA40) sound better to me with delay only. As with all effects, it varies amp to amp.

19. erksin

erksin Member

I definitely need both...

20. jamison162

jamison162 Member

Which do you use/like most? The T-Rex gets a lot of hype much like the ML. They are both $$$.