Do you need tap tempo delay and which delay is good for me?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Obrubnik, Jun 20, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Obrubnik

Obrubnik Member

I want a delay. I want it to make my solos nicer and not all the same. I also want a delay that can be used for David Gilmour sound and The Edge sound. Do i need tap tempo? And why sometimes people dont have tap tempo? What is good for me? I dont really understand types and things about delays... I have no budget, but the cheaper, the better (I must spent on it).
    Thanks

2. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

the more you use it rhythmically the more tap tempo becomes useful. Yes I am Captain Obvious today.

8len8 likes this.
  3. CEFlint

CEFlint Member

I have used a MLJr for several years. Great delay with tap tempo and easy access to subdivisions. It is my go-to delay pedal.
    Recently, I picked up a used Mad Professor Deep Blue for about $100 and a Donner Yellow Fall new for $27.

I've been using both with two different settings. One a "behind the scenes" slapback to thicken and the other set at about 300ms and about 4 repeats. The two together take up about the same footprint as the MLJr. While I still prefer the MLJr, I could easily see working with the two separate pedals and not needing a tap.

However, if you're trying to sync the delays into some Edge-style dotted eighths or something similar that requires precise rhythm patterns, a tap will make life much, much easier.

I'm loving the Deep Blue. I set it for a subtle delay that keeps out of the way, if I need it to. Works and sounds great.

FWIW, the Donner is a surprisingly good sounding pedal. Analog, true-bypass, low/no noise floor, low mA draw, 600ms of delay time. No, it's not a MLJr, Timeline or DD7, but it sounds good, build is solid enough, and I'm using it for one setting that works. I have some nice delay pedals, but this little guy holds its own pretty well, so far.

4. Les Paul Lover

Les Paul Lover Member

I use the vox time machine.

Brilliant delay, and super cheap 2nd hand as it hasn't got the strymons or boutique reputation, yet sounds great.

It has tap tempo, which I find essential when I use it clean on arpegio type picking. Really great delay, for not much money. Has super long tap tempo settings too, which I find very useful on some of my songs.

Squatch57 likes this.
  5. johnpaulgeorgeringo

johnpaulgeorgeringo Member

I use a Belle Epoch and a Dunlop Echoplex on my board. The Echoplex has tap tempo (purchase separately).

I use them before dirt and they both sound fantastic.

Neither can do subdivisions and the Belle Epoch has a noticeable preamp coloration. I keep the Belle Epoch in a loop for when I don't want the preamp. But when I want the preamp, it sounds great.

Both pedals have modulation available.

I believe the Echoplex requires 240mA or there about - neither run off a battery.

I'm very happy with this setup.

6. monty

monty Member

Grab a used DD7, fiddle around with it. You will learn a lot about delays with that unit.

7. kramm47

kramm47 Member

I'm gonna jump in with a vote for the EHX Canyon. Used around $100, great tap tempo. Has DMM for Edge stuff. Can be used in tons of ways and you'll be able to use it right away, but has great depth as you learn more. Plus a looper!

8. joeleric26

joeleric26 Supporting Member

+1 on the Memory Lane Jr., great tone, tap tempo, nice modulation, simple layout. It just sounds right in the mix.

awallace and IbanezAS200 like this.
  9. chillytc

chillytc Member

If you want Edge sounds, yes, you need tap tempo. All delay pedals work - if you are on a budget, hunt for a cheap used one with tap tempo. I've played lots of mod and dirt pedals that I thought sucked but I've never played an unusable delay pedal. The good ones are better but the bad ones all work.

monty likes this.
  10. Obrubnik

Obrubnik Member

OK, thanks. I think i will get a used DD7.

kdm1218 likes this.
  11. vintagefox

vintagefox Member

I recommend a getting a used Flashback. Much better than a DD7, imo.

lefromagegrand likes this.
  12. thanemuzika

thanemuzika Member

You can also consider the DD-5 or the DD-20 if you figure you might need the screen, all 3 including the DD-7 able to tap, not sure the DD-5 can tap on the pedal itself or you need to add on a tap pedal like the Boss FS-5 series.

Strongly suggest the DD-7 if you have a single bypass box so you can set the pedal for tap tempo and add an expression pedal where you can set a secondary settings of the effects level and also the repeat settings. The analog, modulation and the 50 to 3200ms mode selection are pretty much straight usage from the let go.

13. thanemuzika

thanemuzika Member

Instead of a used flashback, i would recommend the flashback II instead. Make sure to test out first due to tc pedals sometimes have issue with reliability if you are going used.

And I wouldn't say better than the DD-7 just difference and also depend on your amps and rigs. For instance I have an El-Capistan but sometimes I prefer the DD-7, for me the El Cap seems a bit hi fi compared to the DD-7 where it has a grittiness to the delay compare to each other. Even after tweaking the El Cap to be dirty or almost there to the DD-7 grittiness.

14. vintagefox

vintagefox Member

I agree about the Flashback 2. I'm not a big Boss delay fan in general though. I got rid of my DD7 (and DD500) pretty fast. They were to sterile for my tastes.

The El Cap is in a totally different league.

thanemuzika likes this.
  15. Pidgin English

Pidgin English Member

Yes...this will be a great first delay pedal and they are reliable and won't let you down. I have the predecessor, the DD6, and I've been satisfied with it for well over a decade now.

monty likes this.
  16. PSQRCL

PSQRCL Member

The way I use the CBA Tonal Recall works with or without tap tempo.
    I.e. it melds into my signal with a nice pad when not in tempo and playing a certain way or picking differently brings out the rhythm with tapped tempo.

For The Edge type sounds, you'd need tap tempo live in my opinion, unless your drummer is a human metronome ( ;

17. monty

monty Member

Yep, anything after the 5 should give you a good idea of what delay can do for you.

Pidgin English likes this.
  18. oxtone

oxtone Member

Line 6 Echo Park is a decent sounding delay, if on a budget. It also has a tap tempo.
    I'm surprised at how good it sounds after many years. Are they still made?

Edit: Checked the L6 website last night - no Echo Park listed under pedals. Too bad.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
    fakeox likes this.