1. The target date for the upgrade is August 11, 2020. We expect a few hours of downtime during that process. We will post on Twitter and Facebook to keep everyone updated on the progress.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you often use Input 2 on Fender blackface style amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by StratStringSlinger, Jul 8, 2015.

1. StratStringSlinger

StratStringSlinger Supporting Member

I normally play a strat and use input 1 for both the normal and vibrato channels. I found it hard to get a nice clean tone with my humbucker guitars so I decided to plug into input 2. Was pleasantly surprise by very nice clean tones and better balance of tones in all positions on my humbucker equipped guitars. Just wondering if this is a well know/often used approach for folks that play humbucker fitted guitars into Fender blackface type amps?

Memphistokid likes this.
  2. e???

e??? Member

Yeah found the same with p90's for any amp with a second or "low" input. Hot rod deluxe, silverface, 65 & 68 reissues, supro, victoria... Now I do it with my strat too sometimes, sounds smooth

StratStringSlinger likes this.
  3. Tuberattler

Tuberattler Member

Welcome to the club I also like the second input, it's nice for quieter gigs as well. The second input is for higher output guitars, 1st position is louder for single coil or weaker signal guitars.

4. Link Ramone

Link Ramone Member

Almost always with my old VR and DR. Been using an old DRII lately. Can't say I discern a notable difference on that one. Regarding the inputs I mean. Obviously the lead channel on the Rivera designs was a different animal altogether from previous Fenders.

5. Memphistokid

Memphistokid Member

Even when I was primarily a strat guy I plugged into the 2nd input on my Super Reverb l. Don't know why but it seemed slightly mellower than the 1st. Subtle, but preferable to my ears.

6. crambone

crambone Member

I always use the second input with my HRD. I play a LP or Tele with a mini bucker in the bridge, where I play 95% of the time at my gigs.

7. riffmeister

riffmeister Member

I'll use input 2 for band rehearsals in a small basement.....to keep the volume down.

8. bratch

bratch Member

This is often overlooked by many of us.

I used to use the lowly Fender Custom Vibrolux (90s era), and thought "wow, this amp is aggressive". A lot of folks will mod them to mellow them out, but I wonder if they tried the 2nd inputs first? It kind of changes the gain structure of the amp.

9. pula58

pula58 Silver Supporting Member

Here's why:
    The #1 input has an input impedance of 1Meg
    The # 2 input is a "voltage divider" with an impedance of (in Fenders case) nominally 136Kohm, and splits the signal at # 2 input by a half.

So, not only does the # 2 input split the signal it receives by a factor of two, it's impedance (136K ohm) loads-down the output of the guitar. This makes the guitars output a bit smaller. The added loading also reduces the resonant peak of the pickup. This is assuming that the guitar doesn't have a built in buffer or something like that. So, that'll make a big difference in the "bite" of your guitar, it'll smooth it out in most cases.

The above description is when your guitar is plugged straight into the jack. If your guitar has any pedals between itself and the input jack, then the loading by 136K probably isn't doing much, but the divider still cuts the signal in half, thus backing-off the signal at the grid of the first triode.

Make sense?

apalazzolo, DHC, guitarjazz and 5 others like this.
  10. bluesoul

bluesoul Member

11. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

12. stratpaulguy86

stratpaulguy86 Supporting Member

I'm a fan of input 1...more gain and harmonic overtones. Haven't found a situation where that's a bad thing.

13. Radspin

Radspin Member

Always. I play a 1965 Princeton Reverb and our band doesn't play that loud so even into input 2 I don't go above 3. It gives me more control of the volume knob...in the first input, very small changes in the volume knob result in big changes in volume. Plus, my overdrive and fuzz pedals react differently...smoother and more consistent.

At home I have a Dual Showman Reverb head going into a 2-12 bottom and sometimes I'll play into input 2 for the same reason...more control of the volume knob and a bit of a smoother sound. But other times I like to plug into input 1 and play at ungodly loud volume!

14. Ridgeback

Ridgeback Member

Another (almost ) always on input 2.

15. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

I go back and forth depending on the guitar I'm playing with my BFPR and SFVR. Single coils into input 1 and HBs into input 2.

16. lakesider

lakesider Member

input 2 is really great for bass!

17. Barnzy

Barnzy Member

I appreciate the thorough answer. Is this the same for a tweed fender circuit too? (...specifically a 5F1 champ?)
    Thanks,
    Barnzy

18. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

My understanding for the last 40 years is that channel 2 IS for Humbuckers.

19. pula58

pula58 Silver Supporting Member

Yep, 5F1 Champ has the same arrangement of input resistors switching jacks.

20. monkmiles

monkmiles Supporting Member

Yep, that's precisely why it's there, an option to handle higher output pickups, etc. I use it whenever I need more clean headroom in the preamp section...like on my Champion 600 for example.