Do You own a Bolt Amp?

big mike

Cathode biased
Platinum Supporting Member
I think Gag Halfrunt has one....he's not as active here though.

billyguitar

A Roland Bolt? Those were ........ in case you own one I'm reluctant to say what I was going to.

Sirloin

Silver Supporting Member
No one on TGP is willing to admit owning one, therefore:
9590270.jpg

sulrichs

Owned a Bolt 60 in 1984.... Wasn't paying too much attention to tone back then and not sure what happened to it.

stratsnboogies

Okay then, The odds are about to go up with this question. Has anyone on here ever been hit by a BOLT of lightning?

teemuk

Yes they did, but I think they never had a wide distribution and therefore not enough fan base was generated to pump up the sales through word a mouth marketing. There was some hype and I recall seeing many threads about them but they always ended short, were forgotten quickly and never bloated to 20 - 30 page appraisals full of people either GASsing or people ranting how it's like the best amp ever after just using it for a one minute at home.

I think that overall the target markets that are looking for an expensive boutiqueish tube amp aren't exactly all too happy to buy an expensive mass-produced largely DSP and solid-state amp. They made a mistake making too obvious their design was like that. Former Digitech team engineering it wasn't exactly a merit to them either.

We all know how the story about stuff like this goes, no matter how good the product actually is. Ironically Excelsiors and Valve Juniors generate way more hype.

Stinky Kitty

Silver Supporting Member
Johnny seems to like them though I'm not even sure he's endorsing them anymore. These cats move around, eh?

teemuk

XP Audio just won some kind of an award with those Morpheus Bomber pedal products this year so that was pretty fast.

By the way, XP Audio did not make the Morpheus pedals. The pedals were bought from their manufacturer and developer, IVL Audio, Inc., and simply branded. (IVL is the same company that also made vocal harmonizer products for Digitech and Harman Group's Vocalist brands).

gag halfrunt

A fellow of infinite jest
I think Gag Halfrunt has one....he's not as active here though.
Woohoo Mike, here I am! Sorry it took me awhile to see this.

Yes, I own a Bolt 100w head. Quite an amazing amp, really. It's got 3 channels and 9 modes. 2 loops, each series/parallel switchable. 3 kinds of on-board reverb, switchable for each channel. And all of that is accessible from the most gig-friendly footswitch ever made.

Every mode on every channel is noticeably different, and all sound good. There's an active EQ option for each channel, and a solo boost as well. But probably the best thing about the Bolt is how good it sounds at low volume. I gigged it for over a year, and I was always getting great tone in small venues. My other guitarist couldn't wind up his 100w Marsha/Naked/Friedman heads loud enough to sound decent. He tried for two years to try to buy it from me.

I've done some recording with this amp, and the direct out on the amp works great.

I'm surprised these didn't catch on better. Probably the name hurt them. It is a silly name, and the logo was even worse.

Cork sniffers turned their nose up at this amp because the gain was partly from DSP (but only partly, it does have preamp tubes and four 6L6 power tubes). But those who bothered to listen with their ears instead of their eyes were pleasantly surprised with this head. It's really a gigging pro's dream.

I was introduced to the Bolt line by a pro musician, and once I heard it, I knew why. It sounds great, has lots of usable tones, and is roadworthy. But I also worried it wouldn't catch on with the snobby crowd, who seemed to poo poo it without every hearing one in person (but what's new there, right?).

brianr0131

Woohoo Mike, here I am! Sorry it took me awhile to see this.

Yes, I own a Bolt 100w head. Quite an amazing amp, really. It's got 3 channels and 9 modes. 2 loops, each series/parallel switchable. 3 kinds of on-board reverb, switchable for each channel. And all of that is accessible from the most gig-friendly footswitch ever made.

Every mode on every channel is noticeably different, and all sound good. There's an active EQ option for each channel, and a solo boost as well. But probably the best thing about the Bolt is how good it sounds at low volume. I gigged it for over a year, and I was always getting great tone in small venues. My other guitarist couldn't wind up his 100w Marsha/Naked/Friedman heads loud enough to sound decent. He tried for two years to try to buy it from me.

I've done some recording with this amp, and the direct out on the amp works great.

I'm surprised these didn't catch on better. Probably the name hurt them. It is a silly name, and the logo was even worse.

Cork sniffers turned their nose up at this amp because the gain was partly from DSP (but only partly, it does have preamp tubes and four 6L6 power tubes). But those who bothered to listen with their ears instead of their eyes were pleasantly surprised with this head. It's really a gigging pro's dream.

I was introduced to the Bolt line by a pro musician, and once I heard it, I knew why. It sounds great, has lots of usable tones, and is roadworthy. But I also worried it wouldn't catch on with the snobby crowd, who seemed to poo poo it without every hearing one in person (but what's new there, right?).

If it's that nice......maybe you can profile it with your Kemper to share :munch

toneman31

I have had this amp since day one and I have owned a ton of amplification and still do of course, from Bruno, Bludotone, Quinn,Mark Kane, Goodsell,Carr,Hiwatt,3 Monkees,Hughes and Kettner,Fargen,Fender,Marshall, Mesa which was the biggest joke of all amps, Carol ann and so many more I cant even remember some of them LOL. This amp I have been gigging with for some time and I have to agree if you dont listen and play one in person you are absolutely missng out. The only true tone that I can not reproduce with this amp is my Cowtipper which is why that goes along on gigs with me God A/B boxes are a wonderful thing. But seriously guys if you can find one give it a try you will not regret it I have two heads one in my roadcase and one in my basement Love it. Granted it is not gonna be for everybody but most will love it. Sorry if I offended anyone with the Mesa remark I have had a blue million of them and I dont see where the high praise comes from especially after owning the mark V Blue Angel Hearbreaker single and dual Rectifiers.

losergeek

I have a (relatively new) friend who has a Bolt 60 and is a pretty big head and he loves it. I still haven't heard him play it yet.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom