Do You Own A Re-Issue? Why?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by The Golden Boy, Mar 14, 2006.

1. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

In regards to another thread- Just wondering what some of the reasons for owning a reissue guitar, be it a Gibson Historic, or a Fender Time Machine, or some other model of a guitar that's basis is a "classic guitar" from the "golden years" of some sort.

For me, the whole Historic thing started because I was looking for a chunky neck, like on my 59 Special. That's about it, a good, light, quality guitar with a comfy, chunky neck.

2. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

Well, for me I grew up with my norlin LP, 82 Silverburst, 11LBS.
    Once I started reading about the historics on the LPF I decided I wanted to try a LP that was built a lot closer to the LP's I grew up hearing.
    I always LOVED my norlin so figured what the heck, another LP might be nice. That R7 changed the way I look at solid body electric guitars, period.
    All my Anderson's are gone now and I now have an R4 that is the BALLS!!

That is my story in 500 words or less.

There ain't nothin like a big ole slab of mahogany and some maple.

3. Unburst

Unburst Member

Same reason I own any other guitar, it was the specs I was looking for.

4. jreardon

jreardon Member

I've got 3 Fender CS guitars and an R7. Only reason I bought any of them was because they played and sounded great for me.

5. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

I have Nash '60s strat replica and a Gibson R4 Oxblood. With the Nash, it had nothing to with the fact that it was beat-up to look old and everything to do with the feel and sound. I was sold on those two factors. I do happen to prefer 'vintage' looking guitars too, so I guess that was a factor, too.

With the Gibson, I mainly liked the specs and the color was intriguing. I was ready for something new, so I got this one sight-unseen. Scary, but it worked out.

6. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

70's strat and Tele Deluxe re-issue. They sounded and played great at the store. I love the giant goofy headstocks. Good originals are hard(and expensive) to find, and I was planning on painting them, so I also didn't want to ruin an original instrument.

7. SteveStrat

SteveStrat Member

My main strat is a ’57 re-issue American Stratocaster that I bought back in ’91. At the time I got caught up in the whole “Vintage is better” vibe and so I found one I liked, and bought it. There really wasn’t any other reason than that. Now looking back I have really come to enjoy the feel of the old lacquer finish and the mellow tone of the pups. I really like the way I’ve played the finish off the neck and the body too. Who needs to pay to have a guitar “worn in”? Buy one and play the hell out of it. Play a few gig’s in smoky bars with drunks dumping beer on you, sweat your blues out for a few good years, and you’ll have a guitar with more character then you can ever buy.

Steve

8. ScottB

ScottB Gold Supporting Member

I like the re-issue Les Paul specs better: thicker necks, lighter bodies, plus the tops are generally better looking (or at least can be). I also like more vintagey PAF-like output humbuckers.

On the other hand, I prefer more "modern" Stratocaster specs, especially fretboard radius. I had a '65 NOS with a 7.25" radius and it really didn't suit me, so I got rid of it. I like slightly hotter pickups than typical vintage Strat specs, too (but not Texas Special hot). The 65 was just a hair away from satisfying me for "hotness".

I do admit that across the board I like something with "vintage vibe" whether it be real, faux or something in between. For instance, I've ended up with a JV Strat that I picked up on a trip to Tokyo that has that mojo. Scratches and dings in the right places, cigarette burn, etc. I'm sure that one had a 7.25" board originally, but by the time I got it the neck had been replaced. So it works for me.

9. Johnnytone

Johnnytone Supporting Member

Both of my main guitars are reissues.
    I admit that part of the reason I have them is that they are close to the original designs and I am a sucker for vintage gear. They also play, feel, and sound great

I also NEED the bigger necks that the reissues offer.

[​IMG]

10. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

I have an AV'62RI Stratocaster. I just like the way guitars were built and looked in those days. Great colours, nitro, fretboard radius, vintage trem etc. That is the Stratocaster IMO! That and the AV'57RI.

11. gregc

gregc Member

56 RI Strat & 59 GT LP RI, both CS models. Fat necks, build and hardwood quality, & tone. Period.
    gregc

12. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

becuase I'm not a CEO of a software firm or a sports star and I can't afford the prices of even a 70's guitar anymore.:NUTS

13. nek

nek Member

In the mid-90's I bought a 1971 goldtop Les Paul Standard. I think it was supposed to be a reissue of the 1954 Standard. It was definitely put together a little differently than its contemporary, the Les Paul Deluxe. However, I don't think the name "reissue" carried the same attention to historic detail or impact in 1971 as it does today. It is a little on the heavy side. I bought it for the same reasons I buy any guitar; I liked the tone and feel and it was cheaper than dirt.

14. mikef1331

mikef1331 Member

I own a re-issue '62 Jazzmaster. Why?... Because I was looking for an original vintage Jazzmaster at a resonable price for a few years and I couldn't find one, so I got a new USA re-issue.

15. Patrick Ginnaty

Patrick Ginnaty Member

I was looking for a replaceable gig guitar that felt comfortable.

16. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

I own an AV57RI strat and a 50's classic Esquire.

I've always loved vintage stuff, I'm a nostalgic person probably.

Anyway, nowadays I've gone all crazy with knowing about the finishes, radiuses and whatnot but I've had it in me way before that. There's evidenve very early on: when I first bought a decent electric guitar way back in '95 after sweating the summer doing burgers at McDonalds I really wanted a strat, cause Jimi Hendrix was(/is) the man. I played a bunch of strats at the local guitar store and just hated them. Then I tried a Les Paul studio and liked it much better and bought it, though having a guilty conscience about betraying Jimi.

A bit later I went to the same guitar store and grabbed a MIJ 60's strat and fell in love, this was the guitar for me, it just felt right from the get go. I later found out the strats I'd played before were american standards.. Maybe it's the radius, the necks, the finish, I don't know, but it's always worked for me.

Generally I think the vintage hardware looks better, the vintage finishes are nicer and so on. That's why I go for re-issues.

17. Thwap

Thwap Silver Supporting Member

Yep, that's all.

18. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

To tell the truth,

I bought my 1989 Gibson 1959' reissue Les Paul because I always dreamed of owning a 1958-1959 flame top Les Paul. Knowing that I could never afford a real 1958-1959 Les Paul, this was the closet thing.

So that's my story in a nutshell!!!!

Oh yeah, some of my favorite guitar players played the old 50's Les Pauls, and that certainly made me jones for 1.

19. Johnnytone

Johnnytone Supporting Member

Well now c'mon, lets see 'em!

20. Patrick Ginnaty

Patrick Ginnaty Member

Thought everyone had already seen it!
    [​IMG]