Do you own Celeb gear?

nightbird

Anyone own guitars or gear that belonged to a celebrity? I'm not talking some Jay Turser signed by Toby Keith but an item owned and played by a famous/semi famous person. Did you specifically buy it because it was one of your idols? Did you pay a lot for it? Do you think it's worth a lot because of the star connection?

IbanezRokr

No, but a celebrity has my gear.

Mark Tremonti stole my amp! J/k! But he did want one in a rush from the same small builder that I had ordered from. So the builder sent mark mine and compensated me with a bunch of kick ass schwag, only a couple days more in waiting and a bitchin story about it. And the builder is a friend of mine, so I didn't mind at all. I believe the next 3 serial numbers after mine went to some fairly famous people too.

sixty2strat

I owned a marshall head that was said to have been used by Roxy Music or so I was told. Now a buddy has Chas Chandlers bass and his Watkins Copy Cat that was used in the studio by him in the early JHE rehersals / recording according to the letter

macatt

I had an early tuner that belonged to Al Kooper. My first one in 1980 and he gave it to me.
I had a Marshall half stack that had ZZ Top stenciled all over it. Bought it from Ray Henning In Austin.
And a couple anvil cases I bought off Eric Johnson in Austin as well.

S Mac

FiestaRed869

Chicago guitarist Keith howlands puke yellow Tyler, Chicago drummer tri imbodens 14kt gold Dw touring drum set

AsIs

I own this one. Though I guess HE technically never owned it, but he played it!

And I have this Thinline that Peter Buck owned circa 1984-85...

Rayzaa

No, and im not really into that stuff. Id rather get the same stuff a lot cheaper than pay extra because someone else famous once owned it.

GermanCDN

I've got a JD telecaster autographed by Jerry Donahue that I won at a clinic he put on.

I've also got an EBMM Albert Lee that Albert autographed for a charity auction (I didn't get it at the auction, picked it up from the guy who did).

Also have a PRS SC250 that was Chris Henderson's touring guitar prior to changing his signature guitar from the three pickup to two.

Tried to buy Michael Sweets PRS from his Boston tour, but we couldn't arrive at a price that worked for both of us.

I didn't specifically buy either the AL or SC because they were autographed/owned by pros, it just worked out that way.

loveme1965

Three chords, no waiting!
Silver Supporting Member
Off the wall, but while living in Mississippi in '93 purchased a drum kit owned by Blind Lemon's drummer.

TattooedCarrot

Silver Supporting Member
Not that I know of. But I sold a 61RI SG to Bruce Kulick (KISS / Grand Funk) and a '81 Les Paul Custom to James Stevenson (Generation X / Chelsea / The Alarm). Met both at a local Starbucks in fact, LOL. I miss that custom :(

TattooedCarrot

Silver Supporting Member
81 Natural Gibson Les Paul Custom. 82891555

I bought this guitar on eBay about three years ago. It got sent to my mate Matt Bruck's house in LA, with another Les Paul I'd bought. Next time I flew out with The Alarm for a tour, I think it was summer 2004, I had a lot of luggage and decided I'd have to use one of the guitars I had there rather than take one out. They were both from the same period. I was surprised to find the Natural was really lightweight and sounded great! Bit of a Ronno vibe too. I used it for the tour and have used it often since in the studio. It's all over Under Attack by The Alarm and Faster, Cheaper And better Looking by Chelsea.

Whitecat

I have a Knaggs Keya that was originally built for Jon Gutwillig. He played it live a few times before sending it back to the factory for reasons only he knows. Got shipped to the UK after that and went into the dealer network. I bought it because it's got a superb top, a burst colour I've never seen on another Knaggs and upgraded pickups (considering the "Tier" it was made as). It's also super lightweight. Builders do seem to pick nicer wood for guitars if they know they are making it for an artist!

vortexxxx

I do. It's not very important to me to own celeb gear, but at the time when I bought it, I thought it was cool. It turned out the celeb and I have many similar interests, so we became friends in the process.

335guy

At the age of 17, I bought my 1st pro amp from Leo's in Oakland, CA. It was a '65 Twin Reverb with Altec 417's in it. On the back was stenciled MUSSELWHITE in white stencils. I always assumed it had belonged to the guitar player for The Charlie Musselwhite Band, maybe Harvey Mandel or Robben Ford? Both had played for Charlie.

Last edited:

StuRdesign

I used to own this amp and this cab until early this year. They were used by Noddy Holder of Slade for 9 years. They used to ship their gear around teh world on tour, rather than hire locally, so it put in a lot fo miles. I bought them at a charity auction, the amp for £540 about 10 years ago.
The buyer then also sold it on for the same charity and it made £4k

Be.eM

I own this guitar…

… formerly owned by Smokie's guitarist Alan Silson. Smokie was quite popular in Europe/UK during the 1970-90ies. However, nobody cares about the "celeb" status of this guitar, and the value remains unchanged. It's just a guitar.

buddyboy69

An old 70s ibanez tele copy that was owned and played by Brad Whitford of Areosmith in the 80s. A college girlfriend who lived near their rehersal space would hang out and watch them practice, i guess you could say she was a groupie. Aparently the pickups were kicking out and it was pissing him off so he handed it to her. it was originally yellow with a white pickguard.

Trending Topics