Do you play another instrument, or want to ?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by DrJamie, Feb 28, 2012.

1. DrJamie

DrJamie Silver Supporting Member

Love to learn pedal steel, and piano some day.

2. Zounds Perspex

Zounds Perspex Supporting Member

In addition to the fretted instruments most of us can at least fake, I'm also moderately proficient on drums, and can fake rock organ parts pretty well.

3. SteveO

SteveO Member

I'm primarily into guitar and keyboards these days, but I played both woodwinds and brasswinds all the way through high school. Started on the organ at age six, picked up the guitar in my early teens.

4. Cream

Cream Member

I can play piano, drum kit, marching snare, sax, and pitched mallet percussion (marimba & vibes). Guitar was my last instrument to tackle.

5. halcyon85

halcyon85 Member

I play drums and lap steel and can fake my way around on a piano or a keyboard. I played the euphonium/baritone in high school.

I really want to attempt to learn pedal steel.

6. CowTipton

CowTipton Silver Supporting Member

A smidgen of piano/keys and even less on the drums.

7. monty

monty Member

Soon as I get a house, I'm getting drums!

8. Kitten Cannon

Kitten Cannon Member

I was in the "want to learn pedal steel" club for a while. Then I got one, and I learned it.

Damn thing kicks my ass every day.

9. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

I started my stringed instrument affection with bass, and I can fake that reasonably well.

10. Phoenix59

Phoenix59 Member

Keyboards. I used to be a decent drummer, but after my injuries, I don't have the physical stamina for them. I used to play trumpet in junior high, but I always sucked. It did teach me to read music, though.

11. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

I'm a drummer first, guitarist second, and would like to learn enough keys to get by doing chord work. Have a Casio waiting for me. Just need to get a chord book.

I always wanted to honk on a sax, but being asthmatic, I probably don't have the wind. I play some blues harp, but limited due to my illness.

12. chervokas

chervokas Member

For me it's keys first, guitar second drums third. I've gigged on all three. I can add a little color on mando and play a bit of blues harp. I'd love to really learn the mando, and like everyone else apparently pedal steel.

13. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

I am going to take on mandolin, lap steel/dobro next... and then, pedalsteel!

14. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Yeah, I spent nearly 20 years playing trumpet, flugel, etc., and as a result am still playing catch up on guitar. Can still get a decent sound out of the old horn, but not for nearly as long as my younger chops were able.

15. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

Viola or electric violin is what people want to hear me play. They could care less about my guitar playing. I still try to keep up with the keyboards too - piano was my first instrument.

16. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

Guitar is my primary instrument, but I also play bass, drums, mandolin, banjo, and recorded with a pedal steel years ago.
    I have kind of gotten away from banjo and mandolin, mostly because I play so much I don't have time for them now. But they sit in my studio in case I need them.

17. Crowbar

Crowbar Member

Nice thread

I'm guitar first, electic blues rock and finger pickin folk.
    Not bad blues dobro, fake bluegrass
    Functional drummer
    Getting better at lap steel, people can listen
    Got rid of banjo
    Loaned out madolin
    Prolly selling pedal steel
    Practicing keyboards these days, lot easier than pedal steel

18. oldschoolguy

oldschoolguy Member

There was a time in school when I thought pills would be eventually developed that one could just take to learn something--e.g if you wanted to learn to draw you would take the drawing pill. So, on that note I would like to have been able to take the piano pill.
    In reality, unlike guitar I am unwilling I guess to take the all the time necessary to learn the instrument. I truly admire truly good piano players (I only know one and she's the classical variety and doesn't do honky tonk or R&R).

19. Hulakatt

Hulakatt Supporting Member

My first instrument was a flute. I'm very glad it didn't take.

My primary instrument is drums. I can sight read sheet music fairly well and have played for a few high school musicals as well as many other fun gigs. It's the instrument I can play the best and think the least, my second nature.

My secondary instrument is bass. In high school I worked at a summer camp that already had a drummer for the band and (as summer camps tend to) they had over a dozen people who could play a guitar but nobody knew what to do with a bass so I learned how just so I could play in the band. Nothing like learning how to play an instrument live on stage with someone shouting the next note to you :) !

I play guitar proficiently enough to play well with others and I play because it's fun. Unfortunately it's the instrument I get to play out the least :(

I run sound professionally and treat it and teach it as another instrument.

Also enjoy playing Lap Steel and would like to pick up a Uke and a Banjo

20. Elmer

Elmer hell is chrome

I have hacked away at the guitar since I was 15-16 and should be a damn sight better at it than I am. Additionally, over the years I have played (and forgotten how to play):

Violin
    Trumpet
    French Horn
    Sax

All of the above was grade school through high school stuff. I was pretty solid with the sax, the rest I never had enough interest in to become proficient with.

The only two things that I'd love to learn to play are drums and keys.