Do You Play Your Oldest Guitars On Gigs?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by stratotonedude, Mar 12, 2008.

1. stratotonedude

stratotonedude Senior Member

I'm just curious. Most of my guitars are forty or fifty years old- things like an ES-330, ES-175, Kay archtops, a Mosrite Joe Maphis, Danelectros, H42 and H44 Stratotones, Hagstrom III, several 50s Supros. My oldest electric is a 1953 Kay Crusader archtop. My oldest solidbody is a 1955 Harmony H42 Stratotone with Harmometal binding. I gig with the 1960 ES-330TD, 1956 ES-175D, both mid-50s Stratotones, a couple Valco-made 50s Airlines, and a couple Danelectro-made Silvertones with dolphin nose headstocks on a very regular basis. The only newer guitar that gets played with any regularity on gigs is a Cunetto Nocaster. Though it gets played not quite as often as the fifties guitars.

My very oldest guitars- a 1929 Stromberg-Vosinet, a 1934 National Style O, and a 1935 Supertone- are all acoustics. None have seen any gig time. Though the National has been to a couple jam sessions.

How about y'all?

2. Pete Galati

Pete Galati Member

I probably would have when I played in bands years ago. I used whatever I had.

These days I'd be more likely to head to the music store and pick out a couple stage guitars just for the band.

You can worry about the wonderful subtleties that only a vintage instrument can give you, but it'll all get lost in the mix anyhow.

3. EuroCool

EuroCool Member

I play my vintage guitars at every gig including some valuable 50's & 60's Gibson & fenders. My oldest is a 32 National style O I haved played at a couple radio shows & small gigs, I plan to use it more & more...
    My pleasure isn't looking at my old guitars but play them out & use them on an everyday basis. I sold most of the guitars I didn't play enough over the years & don't "collect" them anymore. Old fiddles have a generous soul I tell ya!

4. neastguy

neastguy Supporting Member

yes, 1980 LP custom, thats the oldest I have.... not sure if its considered vintage, but to me it is..lol
    [​IMG]

5. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

My main gigger is my '53 ES-175. Wouldn't have it any other way!

[​IMG]

6. woof*

woof* Member

i played at a blues jam last week with my 64 strat in a part of town i really shouldnt have been in... with that particular guitar, but i did have friends with me :)

7. alvagoldbook

alvagoldbook Member

The oldest guitar I have is a Japanese strat copy from the 70s. Yeh, I play it at gigs sometimes.

8. kingsleyd

kingsleyd Frikkin genyus Gold Supporting Member

http://images.lilypix.com/displayimage.php?album=1373&pos=7

Sure... ...although this band doesn't exactly play biker bars!

54 Les Paul (me) (damn... Hawaiian Shirt guy :jo)
    65 Strat on a stand
    80 Jackson bass
    71 Tele (with a Kahler trem :crazy)
    Buncha singers who can't be bothered to learn the words :puh

9. HHB

HHB Member

I use my 58 LPjr all the time, mine is a terrible refin w/o logo, most people assume I made it in shop class back in the day LOL

10. Dave Orban

Hawaiian Shirt - Check
    Baseball Cap - Check
    Sandals - Check
    Music Stands - Check

Oy!

LOL!

11. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

I gig a '61 strat often. Body finish stripped, so most people don't realize what they're seeing. My oldest is a '39 Gibson lap steel. I have gigged with that and hope to again.

12. scottlr

scottlr Member

That's why I bought them.

13. wahwah

wahwah Member

Oh yeah...my '68 Strat does every gig with me!

[​IMG]

Cheers..............................wahwah

14. Zexcoil

Zexcoil Vendor

Played my '67 SG Special Saturday night...

Almost as old as me!

[​IMG]

15. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

I take my '56 Tele to almost every gig I play. I've also got a couple '50's LP Juniors and Specials that get some stage time, and a '59 ES-335 that gets out on occasion too, as well as a '65 Tele.

Like Scott wrote, that's why I bought 'em - not as a financial investment, as an investment in tone (GRIN).

Dana O.

16. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

I usually feel like guitars are meant to be played and not just for decoration at home.

A few years ago I was playing an acoustic gig in a little dive. I left my 1968 Martin D28 in the case while on break and went outside. When we cam back in for the next set, some drunk dude was standing there trying to play my guitar. He was sorta stumbling around. It scared me a bit. That guitar was my dads and so it means a lot. I would probably still gig with the Martin, but I have a Taylor that I use now for acoustic stuff and it works fine.

17. kingsleyd

kingsleyd Frikkin genyus Gold Supporting Member

Well, in defense of the clothing choices, it was stupid hot that day (98F, high humidity) and the tent thingy only covered our amps.

You'll notice there's no music stand in front of ME.

Every time I get on the singers' case about the stands, they tell me "then get us a teleprompter like all those big bands from the '70s have!" :puh

But you've gotta like the old goldtop, right?!? :)

18. bluegrif

bluegrif Member

I play 'em all, but it does depend on the gig. If the place has a decent stage that people are not likely to wander onto, then I feel free to bring any guitar I own. But if it's one of those gigs where we're set up on the floor with impaired folks dancing right up to us then I usually bring Fender style guitars only.

19. Dave Orban

LOL!

Indeed!

20. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

Nice to see you here wahwah!!!