Do you power your fuzz with a battery or a power supply?

Rock Steady

I just got a fuzz face so im experimenting with the power options. I noticed a 9volt battery makes my fuzz face less crazy and not so much beastly sounding. The fuzz is more tamed with a 9volt and not as in your face. When I power the fuzz face with a power supply I noticed the fuzz is more balls to wall, in your face and more pronounced. I dunno lol. How do you power your fuzz?

alivegy

lots and lots of batteries because I can never remember to unplug them when I am done playing. I wish there was a power option that sounded as good, but both of my fuzz pedals sound terrible when you plug them in.

Jahn

Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver
Supporting Member
battery since my fuzz has an on/off pot.

Buks

I use a (carbon) battery with my Ge Sunface. Does it make a difference with Si fuzz faces as well whether you use battery or power supply?

tnt365

:hide2

Power Supply. PP2+ with LMD, I was thinking of maybe trying the "sag" circuit (input 7 or 8), but I'm not in any rush.

Power Supply. Diago Power Station both for my Fuzzhugger AB-Synth (that doesn't even have a battery compartment) and the Retroman Sybil. The Sybil DOES sound a bit better with battery, but well, I'm glad to have my life rig reduced to ONE battery (in my eBow) ...

feralchild

Sorry I use power supply for everything. I can't be expected to remember to unplug every single pedal on my board every time I stop playing. In fact, with how closely they're mounted, it wouldn't even be possible in some cases.

If there's a difference in sound quality I can't hear it. Maybe a tiny bit of RFI but that's probably cause I use a cheapo one-spot. It's not enough of a problem to motivate me to change anything, especially when I have so much other gear to buy.

Franklin

Supporting Member
I use a battery, and DAMN I FORGOT TO TURN IT OFF LAST WEEK AT PRACTICE!!!

Again.....

:)

Rock Steady

Ok I did some experiments. I prefer the battery and I also prefer a simple signal path for the fuzz face. It sounds better to my ears when there isnt any pedals surrounding it. Just Guitar->Fuzz face-> amp. Sounds full and thick. I dont know why but it sounded a little harsher in the signal chain with my other pedals. Are fuzz pedals really picky or something? lol

feralchild

Ok I did some experiments. I prefer the battery and I also prefer a simple signal path for the fuzz face. It sounds better to my ears when there isnt any pedals surrounding it. Just Guitar->Fuzz face-> amp. Sounds full and thick. I dont know why but it sounded a little harsher in the signal chain with my other pedals. Are fuzz pedals really picky or something? lol
Fuzz pedals (generally speaking) need to have no active circuitry between them and your guitar... it has something to do with the input impedance from your pickups. This is related to why fuzz pedals react to your guitars volume knob - it sort of becomes part of the same circuit. So maybe this is what you are hearing...

Hopefully someone else can explain this better than I can.

Trending Topics