Do you practice on the same instrument you gig with?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Average Joe, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Average Joe

Average Joe Member

And would you find it problematic not to do so?

For the past six months I've rarely picked up an electric guitar at home - all I've played have been my Alhambra Crossover and the Taylor Baby my wife gave me. The sound and immediacy of an acoustic instrument inspire me way more than the electrics lately.

But there is no getting around that all I play in band and gigging contexts is electric guitar

Do you find it benificial to practice on the same guitar you gig with or is any practice good practice?

2. mikebat

mikebat Member

I usually do, but I like to spread it around to my other less used electric guitars.

I rarely play my acoustic, besides for recording and that usually is copy and paste short sections of strumming. The neck shape is so different, I get cramps if I play to long on it. The full size concert body is cumbersome too. But it sounds great!

3. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

I tend to do genuine practice on acoustic. If I am prepping for a project, I do my practice on one electric, Tele typically because I run it either through effects/small amp or iPad amp sim/headphones.

I do take some time to actually rehearse my parts at home, in that case, I use specific gig gear and make sure to stand up.

4. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Member

I normally pray an acoustic at home. I like how it sounds and it forces me into better habits from a technique standpoint (IMO).

Peace,

5. Yer Blues

Yer Blues Member

Some of the time, but not all the time. Honestly, I don't really know much of a difference other than a brief adjustment period. Between Christmas and NYE I played mainly acoustic and at the NYE gig I didn't really notice much improvement (if any) in my chops/technique.

6. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Both. Generally though, I do practice on the same instrument(s) I'm using with the band at rehearsals or gigs.

One thing, for me an acoustic changes how I bend notes, etc. and then when on an electric with thinner strings, can have a tendency to overbend, miss the note. Now I should be using my ear as well and do, but it still is muscle memory stuff and I just find it better to use the thing I'm going to.

And then there are the small weird things. One song we have uses a lot of (I can never remember if it technically called a double-stop, but when you hit one string with the forefinger, and use the third finger to bend up the next string to be the same note) unison bending...I've done the song on strats (with trem not blocked) and LP, fixed bridge. No problem.

One night, I decided to bring to rehearsal my Telecaster. I hadn't played in years actually. All is well, but we get to that one song, and when I go to bend it sounds horrible. So bad I thought there was some weirdness with the amp or fuzz oscillating weirdly. Took a few seconds to realize to get the unison not I had to bend (was hitting the second string, bending the third up to unison) the third string to the TOP OF THE NECK (i.e. bend up to where the sixth string sits) to get it to be the same note.

I really wouldn't like to find that out at a gig.

I would say I play the same TYPE of instrument. Last gig we had a few weeks ago, I decided at the last minute to take a different strat than my main one. That I don't see as risky and it was a nice change.

7. Bankston

Bankston Member

I rarely practice on my stage guitars, which are Les Pauls.

When I want to really woodshed, I grab my Tele or acoustic because they are more challenging to play.

8. shaun_mac

shaun_mac Member

I just play the guitar that I like regardless of what I'm doing

9. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

Yes; but I only gig 1 electric and 1 acoustic so there's that.

10. LPBlues

LPBlues Member

South of the 49th on an island in Canada eh!
    I used to think that was an issue for me and it actually was for some time. But over a period of a few years and acquiring/playing more instruments I've found I can move between them with relative ease now and wouldn't have an issue mixing it up for different shows as appropriate.

11. 27sauce

27sauce Supporting Member

No. Most of the time I leave my stage guitars at work. I play Teles and Les Pauls at my gig. but I practice/learn on anything from an SG, to an old Silvertone electric.

12. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Member

Try to, but not an absolute. One of the issues I've found is that if I try playing a "Strat" part on my Les Paul, I'll spend a lot of time fiddling with settings trying to get the "right" sound; not a Strat sound necessarily, but one that fits the piece. Practice time is limited, so that's not the best way to spend it.

If everything is overdriven to distorted it seems to matter less though.

Another issue is that some of my guitars are better suited to my hands for more technical stuff, and others...aren't. My Kramer and my Wildkat are both good guitars, well set up and sound great to my ears, but I play them differently, as an example.

13. misterturtlehead

misterturtlehead Member

I play electrics on gigs- usually a Gibson Les Paul Deluxe, ES-330TD, or ES-175D. I do almost all practicing and song learning on a 1962 Goya G-10 classical guitar. About the only time I play electrics around the house is when I am recording.

14. jordane93

jordane93 Member

I only have 2 guitars. At home I'll practice with either but usually the guitar I bring to church is the guitar that I use for sunday

15. davebc

davebc Member

I should practice with the same guitar as I gig with, which makes perfect sense; but I don't.
    Playing different guitars gives me fresh ideas.
    What I do is days before a gig, only play the guitar I'm gigging with.

16. scottlr

scottlr Member

I've always learned songs for bands at hone unplugged with the main guitar I used. I know how to get the sound I want from my rig, so I just needed to learn to song.

17. ldizzle

ldizzle Supporting Member

I practice with whatever guitar the next set calls for, program my stuff, and have a nice day!