Do you prefer an attenuator or a pedal for at home low volume overdrive/distortion?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Figaro, Apr 4, 2013.

Do you prefer an attenuator or a pedal for at home low volume overdrive/distortion?

1. Attenuator

2. Pedal

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

I use attenuators with clean boosts, pedals and MV amps so it just depends. In my experience it is as difficult to find a satisfactory pedal for these situations as it is a workable attenuated sound.

2. MantraSky

MantraSky Silver Supporting Member

I have some really great Master-Volume amps that sound Awesome at low level but I've also owned
    Rivera RockCrusher & Fryette Power Station both are nice units, but I prefer Not to use Attenuators.

3. DeaconBlues

DeaconBlues Member

I've been using the big box DD for some time now. I keep the drive just barely on and the volume/tone set for the situation/venue.

4. BluesBUSTER

BluesBUSTER Member

A pedal is more practical for me.

5. FFTT

FFTT Member

An amp with natural mojo helps.

Thick sofa cushion amp fort for tracking and absorbing reflective sound, while also allowing the combo or cab to breathe.

Silent or very quiet operation, hell what ever works to get some work done, then re-amp through amp and cab at a better time.

6. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

Amp gain and a great MV or attenuation.

If you have a MV (or an attenuator) that works great at the lower volumes you want to play at and your amp has enough/the right sounding gain (i.e. you use that as your gain tone normally), why use a pedal?

twisty571 likes this.
  7. Monstercastle

Monstercastle Supporting Member

I attenuate lightly. Some of my amps had big jumps in volume and using Hotplates at 4db solved that. Gave me another lever to pull to hit my sound. It's just a tool that's great for specific uses.

8. kenoflife

kenoflife Supporting Member

After having both for many years, I prefer a small amp (Mosaic mkII).

9. Shiny_Beast

Shiny_Beast Supporting Member

I'd consider an attenuator for gigging or jamming, so I can get what ever amp I have int the sweet spot with the band. Quiet noodling around at home I'm happy with a high gain fuzz face into whatever amp I'm currently playing.

10. haslar

haslar Member

I've been using a Menatone KotB with my 5E3 for a while now, it's just the ticket for really low-volume playing. I set the overall volume with the Kotb, at less than unity gain.
    Great stuff.

11. Gillespie1983

Gillespie1983 Member

I don't play quietly. If so, I would use a Line 6 Pod--they sound great at any volume.

12. RedRock

RedRock Member

A pedal- it's easier on the amp.

13. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Attenuator for me. I use an Aracom these days. I also have a few Hot Plates in different impedances and a Dr Z Airbrake as well. Aracom takes the cake for me. I use an attenuator with both non MV and MV amps to get the power tubes working. I'm mostly a dirty player anyway. I also use an OD, Boost, Fuzz, or Treble Booster for lead tones with certain amps as well.

14. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Neither. I use attenuators only to protect speaker cabinets. And I've tried low wattage amps, power scaling, Yellowjackets, and a host of other options. There are two modern solutions:

1. Re-amping-most convenient in the "one box" solutions like the Badcat Unleash or the Fryette Power Station. Both allow you to EQ after attenuating and before amplifying so you lose the "cardboard" mids sound of a straight up attenuator. The only way to enjoy big box heads and keep the wife and neighbors happy!

2. A dedicated recording amp. For me, this used to be the Lexicon 284 or the London Power Session... Wanna buy one of them? Because the Fryette GP/DI buries them both. It's capable of a very nice 1w clean tone, thru metal gain; can be used as a recording DI dry or with amp/cab sound; can be used for headphone practice, with effects, basically silent; will drive a 412 cab or an 8" speaker equally nicely. It's expensive for a low watt amp, but much cheaper than an amp AND an attenuator. And it can be gigged and sound great thru any clean amplifier, effects return or PA system (just gigged mine on Saturday and got complements).

15. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Fryette Power Station yet. Technically it's not an attenuator but a re-amplifier but it can take your amp's output and reduce the volume without any changes in tone. One of the best products I've ever purchased.

[​IMG]