Do you prefer British speakers in 5E3 Deluxes?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by KissTone, May 25, 2008.

1. KissTone

KissTone Supporting Member

Just hoping to get some feedback from those of you who prefer British speakers in 5e3s (and their various clones). I myself have been happy with Weber's 12A125A. I tried a Weber Blue Dog in a 5E3 once and found it dull and middy (but in other application it's fantastic).

Do some of you prefer Celestions? If so, which ones and what do you hear that the Jensen family doesn't supply? Thanks.

2. Moods

Moods Supporting Member

I really like a Celestion blue in a 5E3 but I still prefer old Jensen P12R and Q's in those amps. The Weber Q I have sounds nothing like an original.

<M

3. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I have an old discontinued Emi alnico I bought here in the emporium. It's an American flavored speaker and sounds so good, under no conditions is it coming out of the cab.

I'm curious about the Weber 12A125A but the Emi was $40 shipped and sounds amazing.

4. hogy

hogy Member

Yes, by a long shot. I have an old Vox Silver Alnico in my '60 Deluxe. To my ears it is no contest compared to the Jensens, except maybe for very quiet, completely clean use where the P12R or Q has its merits.

5. KissTone

KissTone Supporting Member

I've tried a Weber 12A25 (no suffix), 12A125A, 12F150 Blue Dog, and Emi R, W, &B, but my favorite has been the 12A125A for all around tone.

Now, I did run my current 5E3 'Proluxe' (6L6s) through a Marshall 1974x cab with the 20 watt Greenback----and it was wonderful, but I have no other Celesiton experiences on which I can comment. I guess that's why I was curious and started the thread.

6. acicuecalo

acicuecalo Member

Are those vox speakers 15 watts? Will they hold the power of the deluxe?
    I once blew one of my old vox silver alnico with my deluxe reverb and I havenĀ“t dared to try one in my 59 deluxe. Has the tweed deluxe less watts than the deluxe reverb?

7. amp boy

amp boy Member

a 5E3 is around 12 RMS, and the Deluxe Reverb is 22 if i understand correctly.
    punch me if i'm wrong.
    hahahah.....

8. 5E3

5E3 Member

As you know, tone is very subjective. When I took this Richter Tweed Deluxe apart to lacquer the tweed, I installed my spare Celestion G12H30 into it during reassembly:

[​IMG]

The G12H30 is still in there :D I won't say I'll never swap it back to the Jensen (or something else), but I haven't grown tired of the Celestion yet. It's not quite as bright as the Jensen, and I like the break up tones better.

9. Peppy

Peppy Member

I have a G12H30 in my '57 Deluxe reissue. Put the Celestion in to replace the Jensen reissue. Fatter, tighter and bigger lows, more headroom and louder.