1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Do you prefer fuzz or distortion?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sssmile, Jul 23, 2006.

1. sssmile

sssmile Member

I have lately been on a distortion kick. Picked up a trex mudhoney and a emma reezafratzitz. I also have a menatone blue collar and a crowther hotcake. I seem to get most of the sounds one would want out of these pedals.

I have tried a ton of fuzzes, big muffs, bigmuff clones, lovetone, zvex fuzzes, tonebenders, fulltones, prescription electronics, way huges, and at the end of the day, in a band setting the distortion cuts thru better, records better and just has a more consistant sound.

Adding a fuzz to my board seems redundant, I really do want to try a DAM tonebender thats the only fuzz gasing me up but for the most part, the right distortion can get you a huge palette of tones that are more useful and cover similiar grounds and at times can step into the fuzz arena eliminating the need for both.

2. Garygtr

Garygtr Almost as good! Silver Supporting Member

As far as how either one works in a live situation, I think that is totally dependent on the instrumentation/style of your band. If you're playing with another guitarist and you're both using loud distorted tones at once, then yes, a fuzz might get lost in a situation where a Rat or something similiar might cut through better. But, check out Doug Pettibone on the Lucinda Williams live record or Nels Cline on Wilco's Kicking Television (live recording). Both of them use fuzz with awesome results because neither of them has to compete with another distorted guitar fighting for the same frequency space, even though they both are playing with another guitarist. And the tones they get with fuzz cannot be gotten with a regular distortion pedal...

3. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Senior Member

I like light OD, dist, and fuzz. I like a fuzz with my amp setup like a non-master Marshall, light OD to warm up a jazz based tone, and a full distortion into the clean channel. I use several, but they all have some cool qualities. The Everman FDG2 mates with your original sound, and by itself isn't much to talk about, but combined with a dry Marshall tone, total heaven. :AOK

4. jgyn

jgyn Member

OD and fuzz for me.

5. Leb

Leb Member

Haha.. WHats the difference between distortion and fuzz?
    THanks

6. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

I also prefer the sound of OD and fuzz...Ive got one distortion box and like 5 fuzzes. One OD for now, but waiting on a bunch...I dont know why, I just prefer it alot more over distortion. Cheers.

7. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Senior Member

Not much!
    :YinYang

8. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

9. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Distortion. Fuzz has it's uses, but for straight-ahead sounds in all genres, distortion does it for me

10. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

The line can be slim some times, but after you try a true, dedicated fuzz it sounds nothing like distortion.

Distortion is a cranked amp and fuzz is a broken (in a good way) amp.

Fuzz is more of an effect than an overall sound to me.

11. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

I like 'em both. Sometimes I turn them on at the same time, because I can...

12. gulliver

gulliver Member

+1, my best tone is from a distortion pedal into a Frantone Brooklyn, which is kind of a fuzz - it really adds rich harmonics without crapping out the bass.

13. iggs

iggs Member

I never thought I would like a typical "fuzz" sound but I'm finding fuzz textures very attractive lately, probably because I'm a bit tired of the *standard* dist/od sound, no matter how good it is. Cusack Screamer Fuzz and D*A*M Drag'N'Fly are my current fuzz boxes.

14. Don L

Don L Member

15. Coach

Coach Senior Member

I like an overdriving amp and fuzz pedals

16. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

+1 on an overdriven amp, then applying fuzz.
    Just MOHO.
    Of course...it really depends on the sounds your going for. I play alot of 60's music and overdriven amps and fuzz use were commonplace. Distortion was not so prominent...
    Peace,
    Mass

17. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

Distortion is like a trophy wife that you can take to classy places, but a fuzz is like a little whore that does all those nasty things you really like.

:D

18. RitalinCupcake

RitalinCupcake Member

Now that is sig worthy!:D

19. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Armchair Rocket Scientist Graffiti Existentialist Gold Supporting Member

+1 Brilliant post IMHO. :AOK

20. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

I had posted asking about the difference between fuzz and distortion but didn't get much participation on it.

I agree that there's a grey area. I think some pedals marketed as distortion pedals sound like fuzzes and some fuzz's marketed as fuzz pedals sound like distortion pedals. My Fulltone Distortion Pro seems to be giving me the fuzz tones I've been craving lately, moreso than my Fulltone 70 Pedal, which doesn't clean up very well.

So the long answer is, I can't answer the question because I don't even know what the actual difference is between a distortion sound and a fuzz sound.