• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Do You Put New Foam in MXR Pedals After Cleaning the Nasty Stuff Out?

coot tone

Or do you just put the back back on and leave as is. I just cleaned the nasty rotting foam out of my MXR Dyna Comp and am wondering if I need to replace it or not.

plexistack

how can you smell the stale beer from last new year's if there's no foam?

(I don't bother replacing the foam unless it's wrapped around the battery)

stinkfoot

Cleaning the crumbly foam out is a good idea, while just slapping the back on afterwards is not. You have to have something covering the back of the board, or you risk shorting stuff out. Most of the MXRs came with a stiff paper bit to cover the back of the board, and I'll usually re-use that. Then I will also want something to cover the component side. I usually make up something that will wrap around the board (stopping it from knocking about inside the box and shorting out against the bottom plate), just to be safe.

/Andreas

gatordoc

Stupid question, but why did MXR go with foam when everyone else seems to have found a way to mount the board to the box in some way? Always seemed a little silly to me to have the board flopping around even if it is wrapped in foam.

VA_siCkBoy

Silver Supporting Member
I emailed MXR customer service and they sent me replacement foam for my 74 distortion +.

Cpt. Picard

Anything non conductive and non-rotting would be fine, I imagine.

Any packing foam, or that egg-crate stuff could be good.

Although, I like the whole-wheat idea!!!

Maybe a nice rye?

I recently got a Phase 45 and the foam was a combination of crumbling apart and stuck to the parts. I cleaned it best I could and put some thin packing foam around it.

What is that stuff anyways? Many types of plastic will degrade in UV light but this stuff is in the dark and it just falls apart. A mystery...

DaveG

Platinum Supporting Member
Just fill it with goop... then everyone will think it's boo-teek! :D

coot tone

Funny, my foam rotted away, but my circuit board is staying in place and not moving around...I'll just stick some packing foam in there.

BluesForDan

Silver Supporting Member
the foam in my distortion plus is sticking to the back plate, if i open it all the way up, it will rip.

you can get more foam from MXR? Sweet, got an email address?

Trending Topics