Do you really know the pentatonic scale? My new YT lesson

JensL

Fellow Geartarists!

Well.. now you can check if you do :)

Most guitarists learn the pentatonic scale as one of the first things they ever learn on the guitar, and most of the time it is not a scale that we think too much about when we use it. It's just the pentatonic scale and it's something that is in our ears and fingers for years, even if we are already for the rest playing music with extended chords, altered dominants etc.

In this lesson I am going to take apart the pentatonic scale and look at some of the things that you can find in there since that might yield some new ways of using it by combining what you know of the pentatonic scale and what you know about improvising with chords and arpeggios

You can download a PDF and read the article on my blog via this link:
http://jenslarsen.nl/really-know-pentatonic-scale/

Hope you like it!

Jens

Phletch

Printing off the PDF as I type. Thanks again, Jens. It's great to get a fresh "spin" on an old, trusty favorite, and realize there's a lot of musical mileage in "the basics."

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
Thank you Mike! It is of course great for me when people share the lessons! :)

Jens
I just noticed that a guy I jammed with once here in my city (so a world away from Holland) just liked your Facebook page as well. The spread is testament to the quality of the lessons Jens. Great stuff.

darkwaters

Another very interesting lesson !

On an unrelated note: My wife and I holidayed in Amsterdam and Den Haag last year. You have a very lovely city. Great food too !

JensL

Printing off the PDF as I type. Thanks again, Jens. It's great to get a fresh "spin" on an old, trusty favorite, and realize there's a lot of musical mileage in "the basics."
Hope you can use it! Thanks for checking it out! :)

I just noticed that a guy I jammed with once here in my city (so a world away from Holland) just liked your Facebook page as well. The spread is testament to the quality of the lessons Jens. Great stuff.
Thanks man! I am obviously happy with how that is going :)

Jens

JensL

Another very interesting lesson !

On an unrelated note: My wife and I holidayed in Amsterdam and Den Haag last year. You have a very lovely city. Great food too !
Thanks man!

Let me know if you are in the area again!

Funny how as an expat in Holland the one thing I don't like too much is actually the food. I tend to find that especially the indonesian but also other asian restaurants are really good. Compared to Denmark or Germany it's like they don't know what bread really is :D

Jens

Andynorth14

On a very, very, VERY unrelated note, and please forgive my noobiness here, what is that scrunchie thing you have above the nut? I've seen others use it - is it to dampen the strings somehow?

thanks!

JensL

On a very, very, VERY unrelated note, and please forgive my noobiness here, what is that scrunchie thing you have above the nut? I've seen others use it - is it to dampen the strings somehow?

thanks!
No worries! Yes it's a mute, but I am not using it too often, when it's behind the nut it doesn't do anything, I sometimes use it for muting open strings.

Jens

darkwaters

Thanks man!

Let me know if you are in the area again!

Funny how as an expat in Holland the one thing I don't like too much is actually the food. I tend to find that especially the indonesian but also other asian restaurants are really good. Compared to Denmark or Germany it's like they don't know what bread really is :D

Jens
Now that you mention it our favourite restaurants were French, Italian and Asian. I was also quite taken with the beer ! Particularly Brouwerij 'T Ij Dubbel, Affligem and Leffe Bruin.

JensL

Now that you mention it our favourite restaurants were French, Italian and Asian. I was also quite taken with the beer ! Particularly Brouwerij 'T Ij Dubbel, Affligem and Leffe Bruin.
Hahaha! Two of the beers are Belgian :D (But they are great! I don't know the Amsterdam one, but I will investigate...)

Jens

Elektrik_SIxx

Great lesson again, Jens! This is going to be one of my favorites, along with the quartal harmony in solos one. But what about the bread? There's so many types to choose from. And if those don't work either for you, you have one of the best Indonesian restaurants of the city just a block away.

JensL

Great lesson again, Jens! This is going to be one of my favorites, along with the quartal harmony in solos one. But what about the bread? There's so many types to choose from. And if those don't work either for you, you have one of the best Indonesian restaurants of the city just a block away.
Thanks man!

I was wondering why I wasn't taking any heat from the Dutch for critizing their food cultur, it does make me a very rude guest :)

You're right I have a great Indonesian restaurant less than one km from where I live.

As for bread, I think we've found two bakers who can actually make decent bread and we have to travel to get it. Did you ever go to Germany, they know their bread! It's not that you can find one good sort it is that the average is better, taste and substance not air and illusions!

Jens

Trending Topics