Do you really NEED an ext. Cabinet?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Miles, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Miles

Miles Member

Hey all,

I use a 2x12 combo as my main amp, but...

Occasionally, I pull my 1x12 Mesa Blue Angel out to gigs and this is my dilemma:

When I normally gig, I bring my 2x12 combo which is plenty of on stage volume and punch. However, I have a boogie extension cab in my closet collecting dust that I have used with my Blue Angel at a few gigs. So, as the Blue Angel is my back up amp, I still worry whether or not it would be enough on stages as a 1x12 combo without an ext. cab if my main 2x12 combo ever needed to be in the shop.

The reason I am thinking of selling the extension cab is to fund a back up guitar as I only use one at gigs currently.

Do you really need an extension cab when you have monitors? And would it be worth it to sell the ext. cab, which I only use for my back up amp, to fund a back up gig guitar?

Please help.

2. Telecaster62

Telecaster62 Member

I would say to ditch the cabinet if you have good monitors. I've never faced a situation where a single 12 was not enough when the monitor system is adequate. I've even played an outdoor paladium show with a 15 watt 1X12 on a huge stage and it was fine. Just added a touch of my guitar to my monitor mix and all good. Of course we run at least 4 monitor sub mixes so I pretty much have my own personal mix in my monitor wedge. That makes a difference as well.

3. Birddog

Birddog Member

Ehh...I fairly often run my Fender Stage 185 through my 4x12 cab (with Celestions). To my ear, it gives it a little more thump, and a little more sonic variety. For purely volume reasons? No.

4. dave s

dave s Member

extension cab = free amp stand for a combo. If I can't get a small(ish) combo at least up to waist level, an extension cab would certainly do the trick. Plus, more speaks usually equals 'fuller' sound on stage for you.

dave

5. rob2001

rob2001 Member

For me it has everything to do with the tonal differences between open back and closed back cabs. I have a JCM 800 2x12 combo and it sounds good by itself but I far prefer running a 4x12 closed back cab. But if it's not for tonal reasons it's a matter of being able to hear yourself and the monitoring system.

6. Miles

Miles Member

I totally hear you guys on wanting more thump, a little better projection. BUT, remember, this cab is only ever used with my back up amp. My main amp is a 30 watt 2x12 combo which I NEVER need any extra projection with.

I'm just wandering, should my MAIN amp take a dump, if I couldn't survive and still enjoy my tone with just a 1x12 combo, granted, it's a 38 watter at full power.

I also have an amp stand I can use it with that angles it slightly.

The only time I could foresee myself in trouble might be if we were doing an un-mic'd gig with only mics on vocals. But even then, the acoustic drum kit is our volume ceiling at that point which I do not need any more volume for.

At the same time, I might like a back up guitar with some more sonic variety in case I snap a string.

I don't know

Thanks for the advice guys, many good tips on this one. Keep 'em coming.

Miles

7. Miles

Miles Member

8. Miles

Miles Member

Please, I know someone else has an opinion on this.

Half of us debate this everyday!!

Help!

9. billm408

billm408 Member

My band plays bars where the sound is generally suspect and monitor mixes beyond a vocal feed a pipe dream. Me and the other guitarist run 2x12 extension cabs to the opposite sides of the stage so that we can hear each other. That way both guitars are L&R on stage and we can hear even when we move around or switch sides. It's helped eliminate volume wars and the clustering effect on stage where you find the one "live" spot.

Oh... back OT- if you've got a good monitor mix, you don't really need the extra cab. You said yourself it's just collecting dust.

10. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Member

No way I'd lug and amp AND cab as a backup.

I love using a 1X12 extension with my 1X12 combos for extra thunk, and as dave s pointed out it's a free amp stand.

11. MartinC

MartinC Member

Unless you're sentimentally attached to it, it seems a waste to me to have an unused piece of gear lying around just in case, when there is a more pressing need for another ... and one that could maybe add something different to your sound. I'm assuming your back up guitar would be something that you'd enjoy playing, rather than just something that will make a noise like a guitar to keep the punters happy while your main guitar is in for work or you've broken a string.

Would it be possible to hire an extension cab if the need actually did arise?

12. chrisrob

chrisrob Member

You'll be just fine...remember you're talking what 2 weeks max while you're main amp is in the shop. (If not find a tech with a better turnaround time...)

So for a maximum of 14 shows if you're gigging every night you can make due without a backup speaker for your backup amp. You're much more likely to need a second guitar at a show than a second speaker for your backup amp. If you play one show without it and it really does suck then you can just run out and pick up a $100 dollar valve jr 1x12 cab. Use it for awhile then either return it or not.

I vote more guitars.

13. Miles

Miles Member

Thanks for the feedback guys.

95% of the places we play, a 1x12 30 watt combo is going to be plenty. In those situations, I use an amp stand right next to me to regulate stage volume.

I was just worried that I would miss the thump of the 2x12 extension, but again, I would only be using it when I use my back up amp.

When I drag my 2x12 combo (my genz benz black pearl) I never need an ext. cab.

I think the cab is going on ebay and I will be hunting for a cheap back up guitar that is still a nice play.

I'm thinking of looking at the Ibanez artcore guitars.

Thanks guys.

14. Bikedude

Bikedude Gold Supporting Member

Guitar amp to FOH, 1X12, and the less watts, the better.

15. Bikedude

Bikedude Gold Supporting Member

BTW check out one of those Reverend MantaRays. I have a 290 and it's steller for a nice semi-hollow body in the 335 vein.

16. Miles

Miles Member

Why do you state this? Just curious, what about this kind of setup has worked better for you versus a larger cab size?

I would imagine it would be becuase you have better stage volume control, and more of your amp goes to front of house rather than less front of house and them hearing your speaker cones. Also, less watts means you can push them at lower volumes when you're mic'd up anyways?

Thanks.

Miles

17. clothwiring

clothwiring Member

I like running a 2x12 combo. I still want a 1x12 Chieftain Combo...just waiting for the right one to come along (Dave cough cough).

18. A440

A440 Silver Supporting Member

I find myself missing the spread of a 2x12 lately.

I started out playing fender 2x12 type combos, but have a 1x12 combo presently (rambler)

I toy with idea of getting a 2x12 cab. more than enough for me at gigs

if size/weight was not object, I wouldn't mind a 4x12 basketweave with greenies

19. Squigglefunk

Squigglefunk Senior Member

I think you'd be fine.

20. PFCG

PFCG Member

id toss it, its probably not something you cant find later on down the road is it?

Its not a Woody?

If its just an extension cab forget it. You could always buy more cabs, its not like guitars and what not.