do you recognize this as Blues, or no?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by I Am Misery, Jan 1, 2016.

1. clamflatslim

clamflatslim Member

that **** sure gave me the blues.

skronker likes this.
  2. GulfportBound

GulfportBound Member

You know, you could imagine this as a blues anchorage. Especially about three minutes in, where
    you hear some percussive sound joining up on that bottom line. I could just imagine someone like
    R.L. Burnside (who sure had no trouble being part of an album of dubs on his music, Come On In),
    or Robert Pete Williams or T-Model Ford being dubbed over it and still being very real.

Come to think of it, I made myself a similar track to use for practising over, with a somewhat
    different bottom line, one I derived by playing a certain John Lee Hooker line backward with
    the "finger bass" setting on my electronic keyboard. I used that track for quite awhile before
    discarding it, but maybe I should have kept it!

3. marvin cobain

marvin cobain Member

Robert Pete Williams is impossible, he was quite the opposite of that kind of simple repetition

4. ZeyerGTR

ZeyerGTR Member

To me, Blues' major defining element is a set of common rhythms - even moreso than common chord progressions. Without that it's hard for me to classify a piece of music as blues. Lots of rock songs use similar chord progressions, but it's the change in rhythm that makes it rock & roll. So, I wouldn't consider this Blues.

5. ripgtr

ripgtr Member

The first lick I learned on guitar was an Otis Rush lick. I ate Buddy Guy records for dinner. I was listening to Elmore James and Robert Johnson in Jr. High (I have older brothers). The first concert I ever went to was Muddy Waters and John Lee Hooker. So, yea, I am a blues fan.

I hear nothing like blues in the recording. It has some basic beats, that actually reminded me more of early rock than blues. Sure, you could play blues licks over it, I can play blues licks over just about anything, if I wanted to.
    I don't know that anyone I know who plays blues would hear this as blues, either.

6. ripgtr

ripgtr Member

Just want to make a comment on the "blues scale". Playing blues, I am not sure what a "blues scale" is. If people mean minor pentatonic (which is common in a lot of blues and rock stuff), what about BB? Or Buddy? or Luther Allison? Or T-bone Walker? Or all the other hundreds of blues guys who play notes outside of the minor pentatonic, while playing blues?

fezz parka likes this.
  7. fezz parka

fezz parka Member

Sounds like underscore or sound design.

8. GulfportBound

GulfportBound Member

Most of the time, yes, but he did have one or two turns where you could picture it. Maybe I was
    thinking of parts of the feel, some parts of the OP's offering sounded just so isolated and I heard
    that in Williams's music, too, so maybe it was a kind of sympatico thing more than a structural
    thing.

9. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

I would classify it as Boring. But then I only listened tot he same note being played for 20 seconds or so, so no idea if it ever went anywhere in the next hour.....

Andynorth14 likes this.
  10. Dog Boy

Dog Boy Member

Well I don't know how motivating that tune would be while picking cotton

Lef T likes this.
  11. ripgtr

ripgtr Member

Ok, I took this seriously and tried to play over them. Nothing came out the sounded or felt like blues. And yes, I can play the blues. Most of them were incredibly uninspiring to play over.
    The only track any fun to play over was Locomotion (it is in F, by the way) and what came out was more country than blues. But that makes sense, train beat.

Actually, what this reminded me of was machinery. If you are old enough and were poor enough, and had to work in a mill, that is what it sounds like. Machines make repetitive noises, some of them very loud noises, that repeat. It sounds like a beat or rhythm. And yea, those machines can give you the blues, if you do that job for very long. Fortunately, I did not spend my life in a mill.

12. marvin cobain

marvin cobain Member

A lot of that music in general tried to evoke that. It's something that was present first in classical music (something like The iron foundry, a piece composed by Mosolov) and a lot of electronic music (the motorik rhythm) and obviously the industrial music.
    I've mentioned Monotonprodukt that was a project that predated a lot of this stuff (Plastikman, Basic channel etc) and the guy who did it was fascinated by the idea of dehumanization and monotony. Just to say that a lot of that music is exactly about what you're saying.

13. rangerkarlos

rangerkarlos Member

I've heard a lot of blues.

A lot.

This ain't it.

Heck, no one even woke up this mornin'

14. ripgtr

ripgtr Member

And to me, blue is the exact Opposite. It is about humanizing people who have been dehumanized.
    A lot of country music of the 50s and 60s is the same. Detroit city - "by day I make the cars, by night I make the bars". They go out and drink and dance and have a good time exactly to get AWAY from the monotony of work.
    As I said, if you have ever worked in a factory, and listened to this all day long, you aren't going to want to listen to more for "fun". It isn't so fascinating when it is your daily job, lol

15. Dave2512

Dave2512 Member

Even with a bunch of HCB (drone blues) experience I don't hear anything that ties this to that. I think the OP is hearing what he wants to hear. Sounds more like a Black Moth Super Rainbow track from their first album, which actually has some bluesy stuff on it, but it's the guitar accompaniment that makes the connection.

16. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Silver Supporting Member

Do you recognize this as Blues, yes or no?

[​IMG]

derekd, frdagaa and ZeyerGTR like this.
  17. Dave2512

Dave2512 Member

I'm going with Jesus pancake or potato chip.

18. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

depends.. what color are his pants?

19. blujaz1

blujaz1 Supporting Member

I don't know about this being blues but I'm fairly sure the person that wrote the sheet music was named Jack and he was holed up as a caretaker in a Colorado resort mansion during a severe snow storm with his wife and son and they had no way to escape his insanity.

20. Multicellular

Multicellular Member

Would never have put that in with blues. If someone told me that, id think English was not their first language. I like it though.