• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Do you regret buying your relic guitar?

Do you regret buying a relic? Be honest!

• Yes

• No

• Sometimes

Results are only viewable after voting.

Bryan T

guitar owner
Double Platinum Member
I’ve owned a few “aged” guitars, lots of pristine new ones, and plenty of used guitars. There’s something psychological that happens with wear that makes me more comfortable playing the guitar. I don’t go for the over-the-top level of wear, but apparently like a bit. That said, I can be pretty happy putting the wear on myself.

makeitstop

Old dude with guitars
Platinum Supporting Member
Hahaha! Not really, anybody that wants to have their guitar retain value is UNDERTHINKING it.
I actually didn't think about it until I submitted my Dano for an insurance appraisal.

It's appraised for twice what I paid for it, with a recommendation to re-appraise in a year in case the value goes up even more.

Edit to add: I don't buy my guitars with selling them in mind, anyway. I think if your first thought when you buy a guitar is how much you can sell it for, you'll probably never enjoy it to its fullest.

Last edited:

markjsmith

Gold Supporting Member
I have a Tele a friend made w/p90s. He called and asked a bunch of questions about fret wire, neck size, materials, etc.... and then proceeded to disappear! He didn't take a deposit or anything so it wasn't a big deal. Well he built the guitar and liked it so he kept it. When he did paint he relic'ed it and it looks pretty cool. Not what I would have done but it looks good. So he finally built one he liked better so he gave me that one for a less than he actually had in it! It's plays great, it's got kind of a funny story behind it, I like it, etc...

Tomi JR

Nope, absolutely no regrets! My Fano has been my no. 1 guitar for years now. It always brings a smile to my face whenever I open the case.

I didn’t buy it because it is reliced though, but because it’s a killer guitar. I traded a Tom Anderson Cobra S for it, so I went from pristine to reliced.

dblazer

Silver Supporting Member
I actually didn't think about it until I submitted my Dano for an insurance appraisal.

It's appraised for twice what I paid for it, with a recommendation to re-appraise in a year in case the value goes up even more.

Edit to add: I don't buy my guitars with selling them in mind, anyway. I think if your first thought when you buy a guitar is how much you can sell it for, you'll probably never enjoy it to its fullest.
I just take good care of my stuff, and if I'm going to buy something I look for something that somebody has taken care of previously.

I buy my guitars usually intending to keep them, but as a lefty sometimes I have to buy them to try them. That makes it a different market to some extent.

I'm not saying anybody else should or shouldn't relic a guitar, just that I'm not a buyer.

LqdSndDist

I build my own guitars. I’m also not that great at doing factory finish paint jobs, sometimes slip when installing hardware etc, so my new builds end up looking like relics

works for me

VintagePlayerStrat

Silver Supporting Member
I don’t own any relic guitars but I’m not bothered by them. Play what you like.

The thing I wonder about is when non-guitar people ask about them. Presumably they would assume it’s an old guitar. How do you explain you bought it new looking like that?
You say:

"I bought it new looking like this."

Brad2

I don’t have one, but if I did yes I would regret it!
You can always pimp it so it looks like new.:D I don't have one either. I rather buy a guitar that looks new. But the sound and the way it plays is the most important of course.

Gswearengin

I have a guitar that I reliced myself, and I regret a couple things I did...I wish I wouldn’t have sanded the finish in the forearm area (really wanted that look, but went too far), and I left some glove marks on one of the tuners.

Overall, it was a fun experience, and I swear it sounds better after than it did before.

(I just find pristine sunburst strats really boring, but the best of all the guitars I played was a classic ‘60s lacquer version so I bought it. I was already tempted to try it, but it somehow got an unsightly finish chip before I even got home, so that pushed me over the edge to go crazy.)

jvin248

...I do regret buying my relic guitar, It hurts my feelings when other guitar players make fun of me. They say things like "you didn't earn that wear" and "you're a poser"...
I bought a sparkly new guitar from the local store. I searched all over the guitar when I got it home and there is this one nick in the finish, on the back of the body, down by the bottom strap button. I tried to get a picture but the lighting sucks here. It makes me so angry because I bought a new guitar, not 'a relic'. Look at this! The neck feels great to play and the sound is awesome, but every time I pick that guitar up, my eyes are drawn to that defect. Should I drive it back for another one? It's only about a three hour round trip because I'm out in the sticks, but that's the closest store I could try any guitar. I think I should take it back and have them order me a second one.

Well, I took my new guitar to the gig. You know, the replacement one that doesn't have a scratch on it. I'm still uncertain if I like the tone of this second as much as the last one. I have two more days on the return policy. Figured I should try it at the gig and see if I like the tone better. You know, to see if it 'cuts through the mix' ...

I can't believe it. I turned around and the singer, dancing with the mic stand again that I told her not to do, struck my guitar with the metal in her jeans or that belt thing and now there's a big gouge across the face! I'm stuck with this guitar because of this. Maybe the gouge is really a scratch and I'll be ok. It's only about a quarter inch long. I should have left it home in its case! I still don't like the tone. But that scratch! I'll never be able to unsee that every time I go to play it.

But Man, am I glad I didn't buy that relic.

Release

The thing I wonder about is when non-guitar people ask about them. Presumably they would assume it’s an old guitar. How do you explain you bought it new looking like that?
I tell them the truth. I couldn't care less about how they feel about it. I like it, and that's all that matters.

If anyone watching me play is more concerned more about how my guitar looks rather than what I can do with it, they came for the wrong reason.

eupbin

Gold Supporting Member
NO, it's a great guitar and I don't worry as much about dings! The best ding I ever got was when I was playing in my old office with a low ceiling and a ceiling fan. My daughter called me for something and I got up with the guitar straight in the air. Use your imagination on what happened next !!!!

derekd

Silver Supporting Member
Not at all. Had it for 12 years.

Plays and sounds great. Have had two different players ask to use it for recording work because of the way it sounds.

Trending Topics